Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 08:28 AM

475 posts, read 1,370,750 times

Advertisements

If you feel like you aren't making enough money, maybe check around at other companies for a similar role and see how they do via glassdoor.com. I knew a few people who straddled the line between finance and systems management and they were not underpaid. However, when budgets got tightened, they were always the first to have to find a new home but always managed. You can definitely tweak your resume to spin it differently but it isn't going to make you into a network admin if you've only done database work. And if you don't have connections, you should think about making some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 01:35 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,162,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by is49460 View Post
Hello,
I have a computer science degree. However, my entire professional career I have been working as a financial analyst. My first job out of college I was brought in as a contractor to do some database project in AR department. After that, I was hired full time as a financial analyst (the only role they had budget for). I have had a total of 3 jobs now, and all of them I worked as a financial analyst, although all I do is computer stuff. Once I had "financial analyst" on my resume I was getting only financial analyst interviews.
I feel like I'm underpaid (big times) and would like to change my career to an IT professional. I have experience with various technologies that i have learned on my own (ASP.NET, VB, MS SQL Server, many others) and use for my side business. But IT recruiters won't even consider talking to me because I don't have the title they are looking for.
Can anyone suggest what I can do to get in the field? Should I look in to getting certifications? Any reasonable ideas are appreciated!
I work in IT sales so I deal with many different IT professionals on different levels. Here's what I can recommend and give to you in terms of good/bad:

- Most companies are understaffed in the IT Department, look for growing companies

- Make sure you are up to date on the latest certifications, I believe many of these certs are considered useless after a few years and you have to get them all over again or update them.

- Many people who work in IT are working long hours because 1. they are understaffed and 2. many companies aren't making the initial investment into new technologies that would make your job easier. With the bad economy, many companies aren't able to justify a large infrastructure or software purchase despite the ROI or efficiency, thus making your job harder and longer. You will be expected to keep a company's backbone up and running with outdated technology in some scenarios.

- Many larger companies are hiring new immigrants from India and Asia because they know they can pay them less. Similar to hiring hispanics in construction, the IT industry will hire foreigners just as well to fill a position at a lower payroll cost. Not all companies, but some.

- Some companies do see value in a competent and good IT staff, typically those are companies focused on technology, I would look for those types of companies. Ones that offer software as a service or IT solutions. If they are focused on technology, that means they probably value good IT people and will compensate well for it.

- Entry level IT staff members are subject to layoffs, so either you could end up taking a job that you get released from soon, or you could find your counterparts being let go and you will be taking on the responsibilities of 3 people just yourself. I see this a lot. Expect to work weekends.

Like any job, there's ups and downs, perks and downsides, but it's tough everywhere, and it's not uncommon for companies to be denying people just based on stupid things like lack of direct industry experience or titles.

I've been trying to get out of sales for 3 years, but I have no other options and keep finding myself in a sales role. Sign of the times.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:55 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
What you need is experience. While certifications are nice - they don't substitute for experience. I know its a bit of the old catch-22....how can you get experience if you can't get the job to provide that experience.

As other's have indicated, you need to start networking. And ramp up your side gigs - actually, if you have side gigs, you should also start networking through them. You can also seek a lateral transfer if there's a position available with your current employer.

What you may end up doing is taking a bit less pay to start out and basically prove your skills.

Just a word based on my .02 - with virtualization and remote computing... IT footprints are shrinking. So you may want to concentrate your opportunities with service providers/consultants or vendors. Overhead based IT operations will be getting smaller and smaller (of course, those that are left will be more critical though).

Old 10-04-2011, 05:48 PM

20 posts, read 42,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
Certs may help.

I'd work on your side business, whatever it is, and leverage it to implement new solutions, using the latest technologies if you can. Make your side business your full-time business, if you enjoy doing it, and it might be rewarding.
I'd like that a lot, ultimately that's my goal - to work for myself. I don't have enough business volume right now to make such transition though. Perhaps I should work in that direction... Definitely thanks for the thought!

Old 10-04-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
What are 4-5 of the bigger projects you have accomplished so far? We can help you spin them to sound more 'IT' focused.

You are going to have a hard time moving straight from a financial analyst to a programmer. First try to switch to a business analyst, then switch to a systems analyst, then switch to a computer programmer. I know that would take a lot longer than you want...but that path is more realistic in my mind.
I don't mind taking a longer path if it is rewarding. I have completed a dozen or so of bigger projects (bigger project for 1 person). I have completed a full cycle development, all by myself. Typically I work on projects that are not big enough for IT to get involved but in the same time are in demand for departmental needs.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Employers make decisions based on skill sets -- if you do not experience / background with the skills they are willing to pay for they won't look at you regardless of "titles".

In the right kind of company the skills that a role as any "analyst" develops can lead to good salary -- if the firm you are at has no path to the kind of income you desire you should switch to a firm that will pay for the skills AND education you have.
You are absolutely right. Currently, I work for a non-profit organization. The expectations are very low, so is the salary, challenge, career growth.... I'm ready for a change to get myself more involved, where I can utilize myself to a greater degree. Thank you for your input!

Old 10-04-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
I work in IT sales so I deal with many different IT professionals on different levels. Here's what I can recommend and give to you in terms of good/bad:

- Most companies are understaffed in the IT Department, look for growing companies

- Make sure you are up to date on the latest certifications, I believe many of these certs are considered useless after a few years and you have to get them all over again or update them.

- Many people who work in IT are working long hours because 1. they are understaffed and 2. many companies aren't making the initial investment into new technologies that would make your job easier. With the bad economy, many companies aren't able to justify a large infrastructure or software purchase despite the ROI or efficiency, thus making your job harder and longer. You will be expected to keep a company's backbone up and running with outdated technology in some scenarios.

- Many larger companies are hiring new immigrants from India and Asia because they know they can pay them less. Similar to hiring hispanics in construction, the IT industry will hire foreigners just as well to fill a position at a lower payroll cost. Not all companies, but some.

- Some companies do see value in a competent and good IT staff, typically those are companies focused on technology, I would look for those types of companies. Ones that offer software as a service or IT solutions. If they are focused on technology, that means they probably value good IT people and will compensate well for it.

- Entry level IT staff members are subject to layoffs, so either you could end up taking a job that you get released from soon, or you could find your counterparts being let go and you will be taking on the responsibilities of 3 people just yourself. I see this a lot. Expect to work weekends.

Like any job, there's ups and downs, perks and downsides, but it's tough everywhere, and it's not uncommon for companies to be denying people just based on stupid things like lack of direct industry experience or titles.

I've been trying to get out of sales for 3 years, but I have no other options and keep finding myself in a sales role. Sign of the times.

Thank you very much for your input! Excellent points to consider.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
What you need is experience. While certifications are nice - they don't substitute for experience. I know its a bit of the old catch-22....how can you get experience if you can't get the job to provide that experience.

As other's have indicated, you need to start networking. And ramp up your side gigs - actually, if you have side gigs, you should also start networking through them. You can also seek a lateral transfer if there's a position available with your current employer.

What you may end up doing is taking a bit less pay to start out and basically prove your skills.

Just a word based on my .02 - with virtualization and remote computing... IT footprints are shrinking. So you may want to concentrate your opportunities with service providers/consultants or vendors. Overhead based IT operations will be getting smaller and smaller (of course, those that are left will be more critical though).
Thank you for the suggestions! Very helpful thoughts to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment