U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 02:51 AM

213 posts, read 322,673 times

Advertisements

One of the things I have always wanted was to travel the world. It is something I have always wanted to do since I was little. Now that I am back in school actually persuing a degree and not a certificate, I am now thinking what I should go for and what jobs I should look at. What will be a good degree program to look for and what will be a good job to look for that have alot of traveling?

I am saying no to the airline industry cause it is a heap of mess right now and I want out of that industry, and the only traveling by the employees are the commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 09:39 AM

4,824 posts, read 6,146,694 times
become an international university recruiter. Especially a big state public university, they wanna recruit high qualified internatuional students and will send u overseas to do so.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:09 AM

23,900 posts, read 51,421,770 times
Real expertise in *something* (what doesn't matter).

There will always be a need for "the pro from Dover" to come in and sort out or start up or shut down and later to cycle through the job they previously started up or fixed or whatever. These are typically contract positions of short duration allowing the "tech rep" or similar lots of time off i between generally very lucrative assignments.

Having the actual expertise needed comes first though.

hth

Old 10-05-2011, 11:49 AM

9,232 posts, read 18,075,577 times
Thing about the airlines is you get paid to go to a destination and then sit. Most jobs you travel to that location and then you work work work, no time for play.

That being said, the only glamorous travel you will do with the airlines is overseas and it could take years to get the seniority to do that.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:11 PM

3,614 posts, read 6,918,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Thing about the airlines is you get paid to go to a destination and then sit. Most jobs you travel to that location and then you work work work, no time for play.

That being said, the only glamorous travel you will do with the airlines is overseas and it could take years to get the seniority to do that.
Exactly. I used to work in mgmt consulting. And saw some crazy schedules. Imagine going from DC to Chicago in the AM, and then be in Atlanta in the afternoon and getting back to DC around 10). And doing the same thing (different cities) the next day. And keep in mind you are also presenting at these places... so the preparation is usually done on the flight or at night.

The road warrior life isn't always as good as it sounds. Albeit there are some good positions. I worked in the Federal sector... so I usually stayed at one location for 3 days...and the work would always end by 3pm. Nonetheless... its till got old after awhile.

I have met a few territory sales people that love their job though. They travel to all types of places and it seems all they do is wine and dine customers. Of course, I'm guessing its stressful if things don't result in a deal.

Another potential would be a post-sales or implementation engineer. You basically travel around to customer sites to implement or upgrade new solutions.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:23 PM

1,755 posts, read 4,008,227 times
You could look into broadcasting or communications then travel with a production crew to venues. I do it currently in auto racing for a company that is a vendor for ABC, ESPN, Versus etc. It will certainly get you traveling although it really isn't this rockstar lifestyle (unless you're a rockstar) that people make it out to be.

I spend my days in and out of airports and hotels at venues I don't often care to go to but is where the job is. It has sent me to Japan and Brazil on multiple occasions but often I work so much that you don't get to actually enjoy anything.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:48 PM

3,106 posts, read 4,070,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centauri View Post
One of the things I have always wanted was to travel the world. It is something I have always wanted to do since I was little. Now that I am back in school actually persuing a degree and not a certificate, I am now thinking what I should go for and what jobs I should look at. What will be a good degree program to look for and what will be a good job to look for that have alot of traveling?

I am saying no to the airline industry cause it is a heap of mess right now and I want out of that industry, and the only traveling by the employees are the commute.
Have you considered auditing? I started my career as an auditor with a regulatory non-profit. In that position I was traveling constantly, but since it was pseudo-government and non-profit, the actual performance expectations were disgustingly low. I had a ton of free time to see the sights when I was on the road. It was really fun for a first job; I met tons of contacts at companies I could later work for (when I was over the whole travel thing) and I got to travel all over the US. There was not a lot of opportunity for international travel, but considering the salary, exceptional work-life balance, and other perks/benefits, I think it would be hard to beat if traveling is your goal.

My friends that worked for public accounting firms also travel a lot. Same with my friend who works in insurance. But, the problem there is what others said; they have to actually work most of the time...

If you want to know more about the auditing nonsense, PM me and I'll send you some links.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:24 PM

213 posts, read 322,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
You could look into broadcasting or communications then travel with a production crew to venues. I do it currently in auto racing for a company that is a vendor for ABC, ESPN, Versus etc. It will certainly get you traveling although it really isn't this rockstar lifestyle (unless you're a rockstar) that people make it out to be.

I spend my days in and out of airports and hotels at venues I don't often care to go to but is where the job is. It has sent me to Japan and Brazil on multiple occasions but often I work so much that you don't get to actually enjoy anything.

I have worked in broadcasting for three years, and video for 5 years. It has it's perks, but I had bills to pay so I had to move into our family tradition of aviation.

I have always wanted to travel with a video crew, but I have no idea how to get into that. The only traveling I have done is MCO, TPA, or ATL for lobo commercials.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:34 PM

2,935 posts, read 10,535,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centauri View Post
Now that I am back in school actually persuing a degree and not a certificate, I am now thinking what I should go for and what jobs I should look at. What will be a good degree program to look for and what will be a good job to look for that have alot of traveling?

The gas and oil business--some kind of related geology degree. Very lucrative.

The US Department of State foreign service--political science degree+good connections. Extremely lucrative.

Teaching English as a foreign language--low pay and crappy benefits certainly as compared to either the petroleum industry or government service, but a lot of international demand. Necessary to have a TOEFL or TESL certificate in addition to BA degree.

Good luck.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:17 AM

4,714 posts, read 7,807,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
The road warrior life isn't always as good as it sounds.
Exactly...did it for years. I would have friends tell me how exciting it must be to travel all over the place. While I did squeeze out a small bit of time for occasional sightseeing, I usually did not have the time and mostly all I saw were airports, hotel rooms and the offices in various cities where I would go for work. In short - there's not much glamour in it.

Now, I did rack up enough airline and hotel points to take some awesome vacations that I likely could not otherwise have afforded at the time (went to Kauai for a week - hotel, airline and hertz points, so I spent a grand total of $29 for airfare for two, a nice resort and a rental car). But it also took a ton of flights and nights away from home to do that.

I enjoyed going places I may not have otherwise gone and liked doing it for a while, but I started burning out on it after several years. It is kind of cool to travel all over for work, but one should be aware that it is in no way like traveling for vacation. It is still work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment