Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2011, 05:48 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,567,504 times

Advertisements

I'm 24 with two bachelors degrees. I went to college late in the game. I am single with a cat.

I am not the person who likes the nine to five office thing. I want to go to grad school but I need a change of pace soon.

I usually get tired of a job around the 3 year mark. I have been with my current job for 2 and a half years.

I live in North Dakota where the unemployment rate is at 3.5%. I would plan on living in Fargo (which is an hour away from my city) which is our biggest and only city when i get back and maybe going back to grad school part time while working full time.

I am scared about being abroad by myself with no support for a year, but i have to find a way to get out of my rut.

I hate my call center job and i've lived in the same town my whole life which is not easy considering that i'm a minority (gay) and this is a smaller community.

What should i do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 06:55 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,508,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
I'm 24, single, with a cat.
I'm gay, n North Dakota
lived in the same town my whole life

have to find a way to get out of my rut.
need a change of pace soon

two bachelors degrees
want to go to grad school
maybe going back to grad school part time while working full time.

scared about being abroad by myself
plan on living in Fargo when i get back
Is going down to the Cities for work and Grad School just too common and pedestrian an option?
Or is it that you really just want to do some world traveling?

Quote:
What should i do?
Go and see the world. Make some friends. You're only young once.
If you don't need fancy... there are many ways to do it rather cheaply.
Deal with what you have to deal with when you have to deal with it.

hth

ps: As to the teaching English thing... that's really hard to make work and especially so if the intention is to do touristy traveling across that continent as well. ie most of these jobs require a static location for the duration and offer rather little in real pay.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:20 AM

475 posts, read 1,365,709 times
Where do you want to go? Do you just want to break even or actually gain money?
A friend of mine taught English in Korea many years ago and is now considering going to another country as he was laid off and has been turned off in his current prospects. However, he had previously travelled a bit prior to committing to that arrangement. Even then, the situation at his first institute was made difficult by sticking him with a familiy that didn't speak any English who treated him with hostility even though they were paid. He also had to take on additional students to keep ahead of the money flow. But he was paid fairly well and given a 3 week leave where he went to Japan and all over Southeast Asia.

So for him, it was a lot of hardwork and required a ton of patience but eventually he enjoyed it and got into a routine just like one would here.
I think the best idea is to research as much as possible and maybe find a way to practice teaching locally. See if it's something you can do.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:23 AM

87 posts, read 248,919 times
They are always hiring for overseas teaching jobs, and depending on where you teach, you can actually save some money. You can live in a different culture, learn a language, and meet all sorts of interesting people from all over doing the same thing. Check out Dave's ESL cafe and Say Kimchi Recruiting. I've thought about doing the same thing as the job market is just pathetic in my region. Good luck!

Old 10-07-2011, 11:16 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,187,291 times
I know someone who has been teaching English in Korea several years ago and loves it. He can basically speak Korean which is always a plus in this interconnected global community.

Quote:
I hate my call center job and i've lived in the same town my whole life which is not easy considering that i'm a minority (gay) and this is a smaller community.

I am not sure about every country in Asia but generally Koreans want to have White-Americans to teach English---or that has been generally the rule. Thing may have changed, so don't let that discourage you from applying.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment