Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 04:31 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
Really? It's my fault for being around dimwits? I've worked in the same field for 12 years and I'm pretty good at my job. However, it's a very limited field (so I found out when I lost that job last year). I think the consensus here is that men AND women can be hard to work with but seldom can we control what type of environment we work in (especially if the boss doesn't give a hoot or is part of the problem). I think it's crazy to say we should just find another job. In today's world, that simply isn't an option.

Generalizing doesn't help anyone...HOWEVER, I will say that in my experience only, the men I've worked with (at previous jobs) put women in two categories. One's they'd "do" and ones they won't. I do not, apparently, fit into the "do" category (thank God) but I didn't often get the men to recognize me when we had to work together. Terribly insulting. And unfortunately, the women I worked with were just horrible.

In that specific case, I suppose, you could've called me a dimwit for just being there but I needed a paycheck. Oh the things we "normal" people have to put up with!!!
Whatever the case, it was your choices that put you there. Folk just need to understand that others shouldn't be made responsible via negative labels due to those choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 08:31 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,254 times
Seriously, this is such a "yawn" thread. Gender bashing on employment forum, who would have thought?

Old 10-14-2011, 07:22 AM

3,983 posts, read 5,014,989 times
Yes, my choices. I just wanted to point out that since we can't control others' behaviour and the environment we're in, we're often in a difficult position. I'm sure you don't disagree...and trust me, I didn't blame anyone for me being there other than me. Guess I don't think of myself as a dimwit however, since it ended up being the responsible thing to stay as long as I did.

And yes, gender bashing is total YAWN!

Old 10-14-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
Yes, my choices. I just wanted to point out that since we can't control others' behaviour and the environment we're in, we're often in a difficult position. I'm sure you don't disagree...and trust me, I didn't blame anyone for me being there other than me. Guess I don't think of myself as a dimwit however, since it ended up being the responsible thing to stay as long as I did.

And yes, gender bashing is total YAWN!
You charged women at large, and that happens to include all of us. Any how, I didn't call you a dimwit, rather that you apparently work with dimwits according to you. Although, I guess birds of a feather could be implied, but that wasn't my intent.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
Seriously, this is such a "yawn" thread. Gender bashing on employment forum, who would have thought?
+1 It's especially lame when women are bashing themselves.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:59 PM

404 posts, read 1,338,530 times
Most of the argument in this thread sucks.
A sober driver hit me and I got hurt
A friend drive me home drunk and I got home safely

Many sober driver wrecks.
Many drunk drivers don't wreck.

Therefore, drunk driving is good ?

Old 10-24-2011, 12:31 AM

379 posts, read 813,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slambam17 View Post
Does anyone else feel this way? I am a woman who has been working with women in a small office for almost 20 years and I simply cannot stand it anymore. Too much pettiness, gossip, talking about each other, bitchiness, etc....and there's only 4 of us in the office! Men just get it out and leave it go. Women hold on to things.
I agree with you. Since women are the 'relationship people', they're not happy unless they know everybody's business. They can't work alone for that long without getting lonely. boohoo. Of course, there are a few exceptions, but not a lot. I'd go with 60/40. 60 being the annoying percentage.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:29 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,752,886 times
My wife works a grocrey store, and most of her co-workers and managers are women. nothing but back stabbers and gossips

Old 10-25-2011, 10:54 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Eh, same old generic crap. Those of you who work in unprofessional environments put yourselves there willingly. There are productive, mature workers of both genders in host of industries. It's your own fault for choosing a profession , company, whatever that is primarily made up of dimwits.
Here's what gets me: so many of these gossiping yentas love to go on and on about how 'unprofessional' some of their coworkers are dressing, but they fail to see that their own gossipy behavior is unprofessional as well, maybe even more so, because they're just standing around idly chitchatting instead of working. Meanwhile Miss 'unprofessionally dressed' is getting her work done while the rest of the hags are standing around worrying about her attire and not getting anything done.
Most male bosses and coworkers act like they don't give a **** how others are dressed.

Also I disagree about it being someone's fault for being stuck with dimwits. I think pretty much all workplaces are the same this way. The only way to avoid it is to get into a male-dominated field or workplace. That can be a breath of fresh air OR it can present its own set of problems for a female worker: sexual harrassment or more likely, being discredited at every turn, which I've had happen to me. Male bosses and coworkers can have ways of sabotaging your work or even your career. Still, the jobs I held the longest were those where my supervisor was a male. When I worked at places where it was more than 70% women (which was usually, because I did pink-collar work), my cramps and PMS were worse, I guess due to all that estrogen in the air.

Last edited by temazepam; 10-25-2011 at 11:15 AM..

Old 10-30-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
Also I disagree about it being someone's fault for being stuck with dimwits. I think pretty much all workplaces are the same this way. The only way to avoid it is to get into a male-dominated field or workplace. That can be a breath of fresh air OR it can present its own set of problems for a female worker: sexual harrassment or more likely, being discredited at every turn, which I've had happen to me. Male bosses and coworkers can have ways of sabotaging your work or even your career. Still, the jobs I held the longest were those where my supervisor was a male. When I worked at places where it was more than 70% women (which was usually, because I did pink-collar work), my cramps and PMS were worse, I guess due to all that estrogen in the air.
As I noted, at least 50% of the people I work with, probably more, are women. Although, it is not a pink collar environment. They're scientists and it would be news to me if these women gave a fig about what you, or anybody else, are wearing. And no, obviously not all work places are the same. And yes, it's your own deal for choosing to work in a pink collar environment. Professionals are typically concerned about their careers, not the comings and goings of some Jane or Sally in the next office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment