Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 08:46 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,898,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slambam17 View Post
Does anyone else feel this way? I am a woman who has been working with women in a small office for almost 20 years and I simply cannot stand it anymore. Too much pettiness, gossip, talking about each other, bitchiness, etc....and there's only 4 of us in the office! Men just get it out and leave it go. Women hold on to things.
I agree with you. This is my biggest stress at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 09:11 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,276,313 times
I never had male co-workers that gossiped more than the female co-workers unless he was gay.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:46 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,483,612 times
Quote:
Does anyone else feel this way? I am a woman who has been working with women in a small office for almost 20 years and I simply cannot stand it anymore. Too much pettiness, gossip, talking about each other, bitchiness, etc....and there's only 4 of us in the office! Men just get it out and leave it go. Women hold on to things.

I have run across a few catty men in my life, who outdid any woman, but I agree with you in the general sense. Most women are deranged competitors.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:04 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,509,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I have run across a few catty men in my life, who outdid any woman, but I agree with you in the general sense. Most women are deranged competitors.
That's funny but true. Especially if it's a male dominated field.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:08 PM

124 posts, read 219,515 times
Can you not generalize? You shouldn't be saying you'd rather work with men, you should be saying you'd rather not work with those women or women like them.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:14 PM

We all generalize at some point or another. We generalize based on our own repetitive experience as a way to protect ourselves from having to relive the same problem in the future. The sad thing is that many skilled manipulators show their true colors after a few months on the job so an interview would not reveal such tendencies, and neither would any media research.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
We all generalize at some point or another. We generalize based on our own repetitive experience as a way to protect ourselves from having to relive the same problem in the future. The sad thing is that many skilled manipulators show their true colors after a few months on the job so an interview would not reveal such tendencies, and neither would any media research.
I realize that most of us generalize--doesn't mean we shouldn't point it out to each other. OP never mentioned that this was something she had experienced frequently throughout her career (at different places and with different women), so of course I didn't assume that was her reasoning.

If we're generalizing, let's go ahead and generalize about working with men too. I'm sure that would go over well.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:32 PM

Maybe we could do that on another thread. This one is about women. If people want to generalize, they have a right to. I have worked with few great women.None have been my bosses or superiors. The nice ones were coworkers. Competition is never fair. I refuse to be politically correct and say all women are angels in the workplace 'cos we all know that's far from true. There are tons of studies and literature written that back up the fact that women are brutal to each other, far worse than they are to men. And men joke about this too. Of course I don't think it's funny.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Maybe we could do that on another thread. This one is about women. If people want to generalize, they have a right to. I have worked with few great women.None have been my bosses or superiors. The nice ones were coworkers. Competition is never fair. I refuse to be politically correct and say all women are angels in the workplace 'cos we all know that's far from true. There are tons of studies and literature written that back up the fact that women are brutal to each other, far worse than they are to men. And men joke about this too. Of course I don't think it's funny.
Not much about your comment makes sense to me. What does the fact that they weren't superiors have to do with it? What point are you trying to make there?

It's not about being politically correct, it's about not participating in misogyny (there is a difference). Who's asking you to say all women in the workplace are angels?? God, people act like there's no middle ground.

You're perpetuating the idea that women are brutal to each other with your own comments. I hope you realize that you're contributing to those statistics and literature by being a woman who generalizes women.

Last edited by LiveByTheSun; 10-07-2011 at 12:04 AM..

Old 10-07-2011, 07:31 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,159,478 times
Quote:
You ain't the only one girl! If they continue to hire more women at my job, I know I'm gonna make an exit in the next 6 months.

The men CAN be gossipy too, but it's nothing like women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment