Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 07:04 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times

Advertisements

For a few years, my wife and I both worked from our home offices, with a fair amount of travel mixed in (I am now back in an office environment). When we were buying our new house, our initial plan was to put in a second master bedroom and turn that into a shared office for both of us. After a bit of thought we decided in the end on separate work spaces, on different floors. It worked out fairly well - however we were each working for separate companies doing separate types of work, so we could pretty much be in the house together for 8-10 hours a day and barely see each other. I'm not sure if we culd work side-by-side in the same office day in and day out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 12:15 PM

856 posts, read 2,014,990 times
I always think of work life and home life as similar to dating two people at once. You can keep certain things to yourself if they weren't shining moments, you can talk about one with the other if you chose to, you learn social lessons from one and can use for the other, etc.

Separate departments that don't overlap are often like separate companies, so I think that would be okay.

For me I would be afraid that I would want to critique my spouse (manager or not) and that the same would happen to me. Heaven forbid if you're on a tight budget with the spouse but want to grab a soda at the machine or sneak out for McD's. Also If one of you gets promoted over the other it may make the relationship lopsided and add some jealousy, same thing if one of you has more friends, etc.

Honestly I think the hardest part for me...I make my spouse out to be super-woman cause that's why you want to marry someone...I'd be concerned my co-workers wouldn't agree...and that's not a judgement anyone but me is allowed to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment