Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 12:40 AM

917 posts, read 2,004,559 times

Advertisements

I'd give my 2 weeks notice and tell them it was nice working with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 01:22 AM

580 posts, read 2,292,739 times
With my current job, I would give notice only because they have yet to try to screw me over. With other jobs I've had in the past, I wouldn't even give the courtesy of telling them I quit. In fact I would probably call off sick every day until they figure out what the hell is going on and fire me. This would give me much satisfaction knowing I put them further behind in finding a replacement for me. After all this, I would probably show up at my now former employer, and show off my new car. LOL

Old 10-11-2011, 06:10 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
I would give my 2 weeks notice, thank them for the opportunity to work (its a pretty good place) because after 3 1/2 years they were the only one's to offer me a job. I wouldn't tell a soul about my win. I would spend the rest of my life doing the things I love, training and showing my dog in companion events, buy a travel trailer and take my dog and my new camera equipment and see the USA and Canada, I'd buy a "home base" in Southern Oregon. I have so many interests I'd never be bored..ever.

I have always worked to live not lived to work, so at 61 I'd just be doing early retirement and have a blast the goal being to follow this philosophy as best I could:

Quote:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, WOW !!!! What a *****ING ride

Old 10-11-2011, 08:23 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
"Take this job and shove it."

Old 10-11-2011, 08:38 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
I don't think there is anything "noble" about staying. I think it is almost selfish to keep working at a job when you could go off and do something else. There are plenty of unemployed people who could use that job and you no longer need the money.

I probably wouldn't say anything about winning the lottery I would just give my notice and tell everyone it was nice working with them.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:43 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Depending on what time of year it was I would probably give between 4-6 weeks notice to get them through our frequent busy times. I have some good friends in the office so they would know I won. I would probably ask them to keep it quiet until I left. Everyone else I would just tell them I found something else.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:46 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Nothing. I need the health insurance. I have 50+ years of cancer aftermath to deal with and $10 million wouldn't feel secure enough to pay out of pocket for that care.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:22 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,963 times
I would probably give my notice and find a part time job at a retailer like Target just to keep busy. Oddly enough, I enjoy working in retail. It just feels so laid back to me.

The rest of my time I'd spend on investing and leisure.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:33 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I would probably give my notice and find a part time job at a retailer like Target just to keep busy. Oddly enough, I enjoy working in retail. It just feels so laid back to me.

The rest of my time I'd spend on investing and leisure.
You must be an easy going person. I guess Target would be better than Wal Mart though. Best retail job is at a book store. Readers are generally nicer, more intelligent and more patient than the average shopper.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:38 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,703,227 times
I would simply resign as if I was going to another job. What would I do with my 'free' time? I'd travel, and volunteer with several organizations. I've always wanted to go to Africa, for example, and help build homes and hand out supplies. To hell with staying on the job though, once financially wealthy and set for life what possible reason would you have to stay? Life, contrary to what some may feel, is so much more than work, work and more work. I can think of 100 things to do, PRODUCTIVE things, before I'd stay at my job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment