Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2011, 07:28 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,472,006 times

Advertisements

I had an interview with Macy's last Monday for a seasonal retail sales position. My interviewer did not show up for some reason so I was interviewed by a sub who happened to be a manager of a different department. The interview itself went awesome and I was immediately offered a position. He told me he would call me on Wednesday with the hiring info. I told him that I would be going out of town on Wednesday so he said he'd call me at 11:30 am before I left.

He ended up calling at 10 while I was in the shower and I missed his call. In his message he told me he'd call me back early next week to schedule training. I called him on Tuesday, but got disconnected so I called back and asked for his voicemail and left a message. When I didn't hear back today I called HR and explained the situation and the HR woman told me I wasn't anywhere on the list of hired applicants. She then told me a few hours later that he is waiting for a position to open for me and will call me soon. I applied for an open position so that should not even be an issue.

I feel like if I were only interviewed by a normal interviewer, this entire situation would not happen, but since I was interviewed by someone who may have never interviewed anyone before, it's gotten messy and disorganized.

I think I probably should stop calling and just let him call me (which he probably won't) while continuing to look elsewhere. It's just frustrating because I was told I had this job and was pretty excited that I finally got something.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 07:37 PM

12,064 posts, read 23,107,524 times
Sounds like you were offered a job by someone who wasn't authorozed to offer you a job. If he calls, he calls, but keep looking.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:07 PM

4,407 posts, read 9,091,841 times
I had a similar situation at Radio Shack 2 years ago. I was hired and then the idiot manager told me 2 weeks later that he decided to hire someone more bilingual instead. I called another Radio Shack explaining the situation. The manager apologized, said he was going to pull my application, and call me back. The call never came.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:15 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,515,825 times
Maybe the one who interviewed you(since he wasn't the person set to interview) forgot to follow protocol and give your name to HR to put on the hired list?

The HR lady you spoke with probably checked with him and rather than admit to her that he forget to submit your name, is covering since it sounds like all the slots are now filled.

You might hear back from him if he can find another open slot if he is a halfway decent person, in the meantime keep looking.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:00 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,472,006 times
Thanks for the suggestions/comments. I ended up getting hired I guess it was just a matter of patience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment