Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 08:54 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,168,340 times

Advertisements

....you hated it & had $30,000 in the bank and just under a year of rent paid in advance?

I have a job that I absolutely dread going to. Love my boss, but everything else about it is horrible. I have tried communicating, I'm very organized, I'm hardworking, I don't indulge in office gossip and I am trying hard to learn new systems, but I am sick of the disorganization and constant drama/disrespect.

The ONLY reason I haven't walked out is because, while I have worked here for much longer, my boss just recently got me hired as a perm a month ago and he's such a nice guy I'd practically feel guilty. Not saying it's the RIGHT reason, but just being honest.

I have absolutely nothing else holding me back. I'm financially stable with no kiddos or a mortgage. I have at least 3 recruiters a week calling me about jobs. I know I would be able to get temp work right away and I know it wouldn't take me more than 3 months to find a job.

Here's the thing...I LIKE temping and even prefer it. I don't use my health insurance because it's like $200/month with a $2,500 deductible. I can do better than that just paying the doc out of my own pocket (which is what I've been doing).

I'm also working on my own home based business and was going to ride this job out until I replaced my full-time salary, but it's to the point where the stress is making me physically ill. I have done everything possible, but it's really NOT me.

If you (for example) had 30k in the bank and about a year of rent paid off in advance, would you just quit/take a leap of faith to find work elsewhere? Truthfully, I will probably stick to temping. I call my rates and get paid just as well. It pays the bills and while no job is perfect, the one nice thing about temping is that you're usually never around long enough to be assigned 2-3 jobs for the price of one and/or get sucked into the politics.

Am I nuts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 08:56 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
30K? No no no... Gotta retire someday! Living off your savings is not a winning proposition.

If you think you can secure temp work on some regularity though, perhaps you could make it work. I don't know enough about the temp market these days, but I always hear bad stories.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
30K? No no no... Gotta retire someday! Living off your savings is not a winning proposition.

If you think you can secure temp work on some regularity though, perhaps you could make it work. I don't know enough about the temp market these days, but I always hear bad stories.
Andy (lol) obviously I wouldn't quit to retire! Haha..noooo..not with 30k. I'm asking if someone would take a leap of faith and quit their current job to work somewhere else with 30k in the bank and about a year of rent paid off. Not to stop working totally. Would need more like 3 million for that lol.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:28 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
....you hated it & had $30,000 in the bank and just under a year of rent paid in advance?

I have a job that I absolutely dread going to. Love my boss, but everything else about it is horrible. I have tried communicating, I'm very organized, I'm hardworking, I don't indulge in office gossip and I am trying hard to learn new systems, but I am sick of the disorganization and constant drama/disrespect.

The ONLY reason I haven't walked out is because, while I have worked here for much longer, my boss just recently got me hired as a perm a month ago and he's such a nice guy I'd practically feel guilty. Not saying it's the RIGHT reason, but just being honest.

I have absolutely nothing else holding me back. I'm financially stable with no kiddos or a mortgage. I have at least 3 recruiters a week calling me about jobs. I know I would be able to get temp work right away and I know it wouldn't take me more than 3 months to find a job.

Here's the thing...I LIKE temping and even prefer it. I don't use my health insurance because it's like $200/month with a $2,500 deductible. I can do better than that just paying the doc out of my own pocket (which is what I've been doing).

I'm also working on my own home based business and was going to ride this job out until I replaced my full-time salary, but it's to the point where the stress is making me physically ill. I have done everything possible, but it's really NOT me.

If you (for example) had 30k in the bank and about a year of rent paid off in advance, would you just quit/take a leap of faith to find work elsewhere? Truthfully, I will probably stick to temping. I call my rates and get paid just as well. It pays the bills and while no job is perfect, the one nice thing about temping is that you're usually never around long enough to be assigned 2-3 jobs for the price of one and/or get sucked into the politics.

Am I nuts?
I would if I had something lined up in the interim year ...

-Travel and explore
-Write a novel
-Go back to school
-Etc.

Just to look for another job in the same field never warrants quitting a job unless it is REALLY BAD in my opinion.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I would if I had something lined up in the interim year ...

-Travel and explore
-Write a novel
-Go back to school
-Etc.

Just to look for another job in the same field never warrants quitting a job unless it is REALLY BAD in my opinion.
My job is pretty bad and my "promotion" pretty much has me working in a field that I hate. I could deal with the field, however, if every other aspect of the job wasn't awful.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:51 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
My job is pretty bad and my "promotion" pretty much has me working in a field that I hate. I could deal with the field, however, if every other aspect of the job wasn't awful.
Then plan ahead.

Use the $ to go back to school and transition into a field you might enjoy more.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
A lot of people work at a job they hate, in order to support themselves or their family, it's called responsibility. If you are in the early 20s, and have no other people to support, then you may do fine with this idea. You still are young enough to work on a retirement later on. The only problem with your attitude toward medical care is that like most young people you feel healthy and even invincible. All it takes is one major incident such as an appendix
to wipe out your entire savings plus additional debt for many years. If you
are lucky nothing like that will happen, it's a matter of risk/benefit judgement for you.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Then plan ahead.

Use the $ to go back to school and transition into a field you might enjoy more.
It's not the field, it's just this job. I'm not wasting any more $$ on college for a while. That piece of paper isn't a save-all, unfortunately.

Thanks for your feedback.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:46 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:

I know your not planning to retire right now. What I'm saying is, at 30K, I would be more concerned about saving more before leaving a job in this economy. It could potentially be a year or longer until something else comes along that pays decent. How long does 30K last you?

Old 10-16-2011, 02:04 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
I know your not planning to retire right now. What I'm saying is, at 30K, I would be more concerned about saving more before leaving a job in this economy. It could potentially be a year or longer until something else comes along that pays decent. How long does 30K last you?
$30,000 goes fast when it is your sole source of income. Better to focus on finding something better, and focusing on that. Your job pays for your lifestyle, and if stable (If there is stable in these times.) Gives you some security. Folks who quit initially may feel on top of the world. But the next day, That's when reality hits you.

If there was for some reason a threat to your health or safety this might be an exeption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment