Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 07:26 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafHoney View Post
Huh? What's that??

I've always given two weeks and I appreciate it when someone gives me two weeks. Just saying its your last day with no notice then puts me in a bind. I need those two weeks to hire a replacement and train them. If someone just decides to say screw it, myself and the other employees are now stuck covering those shifts and most likely working doubles and whatever.

And seriously.. If I interview someone who's currently employed and they say they can start ASAP with no notice to their employer, I'm most likely going to skip over them. Because then what's to say they won't do that to me if they find something better.

Oh well, kinda like getting fired from a job, gee don't you think that would put the employee in a sort of bind?????

think about that....

so no, I wouldnt give no notice other than an E mail at the end of the day.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 07:37 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Do you ask for two weeks notice in your employee handbook? If you are not willing to accept the 2 weeks notice you should put in there that no notice is required or accepted. To ask for it then screw them out of 2 weeks of pay is despicable and possible grounds for a lawsuit.

As for me my main fear is that if I do not give 2 weeks notice they can put me down as not eligible for rehire which is tantamount to a bad reference. That can cripple a job search.

I'd say if other workers give 2 weeks and it is accepted it is a good idea to do it. If not just give notice on the last day.

Yes, it does and it also states that we don't have to accept it.

If that's your fear, then give the two week notice and even if they dont' accept it, you at least gave it.

And how are they being screwed out of two weeks pay? They are quitting their job and to pay them to goof off for two weeks is just as despicable in my book.

As for a lawsuit...hasn't happened yet...we have an excellent legal dept.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:43 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Nobody should give you two weeks notice.

lol that's fine with me. I have no problem with it.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:57 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
And how are they being screwed out of two weeks pay? They are quitting their job and to pay them to goof off for two weeks is just as despicable in my book.
Specifying 2 weeks notice is implying they should expect to work 2 weeks to tie up loose ends and give management time to find a replacement. Terminating them immediately is deceptive and I strongly suspect a good employment lawyer can make a strong case for lost income in court. If your company wasn't a bunch of moral cretins they would specify in the handbook that you do not accept notice and that the employee must leave as soon as a resignation is tendered.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:47 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,963 times
Quote:
lol that's fine with me. I have no problem with it.
Excellent. You are so hardcore!

Kim in FL's resentful attitude gives good reason why you should be leary of giving any type of notice to your employer. If you're working for a nutjob psychotic loose-cannon b***ch of a boss, you never know what they'll do to you.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:07 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Yes, it does and it also states that we don't have to accept it.

If that's your fear, then give the two week notice and even if they dont' accept it, you at least gave it.

As for a lawsuit...hasn't happened yet...we have an excellent legal dept.
Perhaps you should take a look at the people you hire. To automatically assume everyone will goof off for two weeks is more a statement of the people you are picking than anything else.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:09 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Personally, I would give my employer four weeks notice. It would take at least that long to somewhat train someone else in what I do day to day.

If you don't give two weeks notice, you create a reputation for yourself as someone who doesn't care about anyone but yourself, which is a horrible career move.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:23 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,546,430 times
Default Do you really owe your employer a 2 week notice?

Probably not but it's a good idea to do so. One, you don't really want to burn bridges. Two, if the new employer truly wants to hire you, they will wait for you.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:12 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Personally, I would give my employer four weeks notice. It would take at least that long to somewhat train someone else in what I do day to day.

If you don't give two weeks notice, you create a reputation for yourself as someone who doesn't care about anyone but yourself, which is a horrible career move.
Same here, and 4 weeks of training would just cover the basics for my replacement IF they have extensive previous aircraft experience. If they didnt, it would take months to train. Hell, I've been doing the aviation thing for going on 6 years, with nearly 4 at this company and I'm still learning new things.

I would try and give my employer at least a month, more if possible. They're a good company and I'd like to keep on their good side

Old 10-19-2011, 11:48 AM

915 posts, read 3,179,750 times
It really depends what job you have. If You have existing contracts that you need 2 weeks notice to hand off to another person, then a lot time the company will want you to stay for 2 weeks but if you have basically home free (not that important) they rather you to leave now instead of paying you for 2 weeks of overhead hours and safe them from you taking any information along with you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment