Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 07:49 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,133,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I know this may sound strange coming from an accountant who is used to working in air conditioned offices, but recently I've thought of making a career change to truck driving. I'm very independent, absolutely detest everything about working in offices, and I love to travel. I don't have any kids and I'm not married, which is more or less required for long haul routes since you are on the road all the time.

There will also always be a demand for truck drivers. I figure it would be relatively easy to get a trucking job. Don't you just have to take a course and get your CDL?

What's really keeping me from making the jump is the fact that wages seem to really be driven down in that field, and I've also heard they work you like a dog. The thought of driving 12 hour days for $30,000 a year is not very appealing. There is also the fact that many truckers have health problems due to bad diet and no exercise.

I don't know, I guess there are pros and cons to every career field. I'm just trying to pick the lesser of two evils..
I did it for awhile and one of the shockers to me was the amount of paperwork involved, absolutely hated it. Not only do you have to log what your doing for every minute of 24 hours you have to enter it in a computer as well (Usually Qualcomm). Your truck is your office and the info has to be right if you want to be paid right. Some companies use paperless logs, but your still going to have to enter it on your onboard computer. There are codes for everything, arrival, unhook, hookup, depart, fuel stop, etc.

Not as easy as you think, you have to pass intense background checks, be in excellent health, pass strenuous physical tests, etc.

Other than that it's a great job, gets in your blood, especially if you get a brand new truck or a model only a couple of years old. Pay sucks at first but put in your 2 years OTR accident free and you can drive for just about anyone making much better money. I would not get a CDL through one of these 3K-5k schools....they'll find you a company that will offer to pay a portion of or all your tuition. You'll be locked in and if anything happens (accident, yo don't like it, they don't like the way you look), you'll still owe the 3-5k. Find a tech school that has a 12 week course and the cost is only 1-2k, you'll get better training and not be contractually obligated to any company. You'll have to ride with a trainer for 6 weeks and they can be real jerks, so if you and your trainer clash don't walk off the truck, call your driver manager and get another trainer. Class A drivers.com has a wealth of info as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 08:35 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,493,086 times
My dad did this in the Southern US for about a year. He was said it was hard. Always being away from home and traveling all the time. And then the weather and the heat. He would be on the road traveling for like 5-6 days and then be home for 2 days.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:08 PM

2 posts, read 1,842 times
i worked very hard to get my CDL...had an incident wile taking the test ...took a fire hydrant. That was the end of of it all. Can anyone tell me what is my best option. My boy friend in driving and has a good driving record. Will leasing a truck for a trucking company allow me to start driving ? I'm devasted...worked so hard in getting my CDL...which was not easy for me. But my drive to continue to get driving has not left my intentions. I need someone with expeirence to quide me as what to do.I sacrifice much to get into the trucking bus. alough everything in read here say.....stay away. I'm 58 and starting again doing something else just rips my guts. I love traveling and though driving would enable me to do that. PLUS i love to drive. Please help me.....Mayda maydad13#gmail.com I would really appreciate words of comfort. Thank you

Old 05-19-2012, 10:12 PM

2 posts, read 1,842 times
I have a CDL, but with an incident while taking my first test.....took a fire hydrant. Went to Dallas and rented a trailer and passed my test with a 94. But no one wants to hire me until 6 months to a year. would leasing a truck make a difference. I'm devasted...worked so hard to get my CDL. It was not easy for me, as it is for others. Please advise me as what to do. Anyone out there that can put me at rest. i would greatly appreciate your input....

Old 05-20-2012, 10:46 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,737,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayda Duarte View Post
i worked very hard to get my CDL...had an incident wile taking the test ...took a fire hydrant. That was the end of of it all. Can anyone tell me what is my best option. My boy friend in driving and has a good driving record. Will leasing a truck for a trucking company allow me to start driving ? I'm devasted...worked so hard in getting my CDL...which was not easy for me. But my drive to continue to get driving has not left my intentions. I need someone with expeirence to quide me as what to do.I sacrifice much to get into the trucking bus. alough everything in read here say.....stay away. I'm 58 and starting again doing something else just rips my guts. I love traveling and though driving would enable me to do that. PLUS i love to drive. Please help me.....Mayda maydad13#gmail.com I would really appreciate words of comfort. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayda Duarte View Post
I have a CDL, but with an incident while taking my first test.....took a fire hydrant. Went to Dallas and rented a trailer and passed my test with a 94. But no one wants to hire me until 6 months to a year. would leasing a truck make a difference. I'm devasted...worked so hard to get my CDL. It was not easy for me, as it is for others. Please advise me as what to do. Anyone out there that can put me at rest. i would greatly appreciate your input....
I don’t know which way to go with this. Seriously? You took out a fire hydrant on your driving test??
If it was that hard for you to get a CDL then driving a truck might not be the best job for you.

You think getting a CDL was hard then you have no idea how hard driving a truck over the road really is.

You think missing fixed objects going straight is hard, try backing a 53’ trailer into a dark hole with 12” on each side where you have to block traffic in both directions to get lined up. There isn’t anyone that is going to hold your hand to get it done.

I don’t want to discourage you, but while you might think it’s all about driving and seeing the sights, it’s a lot harder that it looks.

I would keep trying every carrier you can to get started and get some miles under your belt. Experience is all you need. Hopefully it will work out. Good luck.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:15 AM

136 posts, read 141,494 times
There is money to be made in trucking, if you work for the right company. LTL companies are some of the highest paying, particularly running linehaul. I made over $90k last year being home every night, and many guys made over $100k. City drivers (local) make $70k-80k.

You have to keep a near spotless driving record, maintain a hazardous materials endorsement, along with a doubles/triples endorsement, and feel comfortable pulling those doubles and triples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment