U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-18-2011, 01:48 AM

363 posts, read 553,538 times

Advertisements

So after getting laid off in 2009, I started working part-time on an MBA. I was fortunate enough to have some contracts over the last two years but whenever I faced a longer stretch (or what I thought would be a longer stretch) of unemployment, I just took more MBA classes. I didn't go full time but I completed most of a 60 credit program so far and am now on track to graduate this spring.

Since the fall semester has begun, I've gotten more interest from employers than I did all from January - August combined. Is the economy starting to pick up or is this all coming from the MBA? I'm still a little shocked that I went from having 2 or 3 interviews a month (at best) to 2-3 per week minimum. I doubt things have improved greatly in the economy but I'm curious if other people are seeing signs that things might be getting a little better out there and if this is part of it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 08:52 AM

401 posts, read 528,092 times
An MBA "in-progress" is sometimes enough to generate interest I would imagine depending on how tightly you are networked. If it's on your linked in profile and you have that built up then that could be working as well. I would also think that some companies see MBA's as a bargain these days so hope to get you for cheaper. I've seen jobs advertised asking for an MBA that previously never would have bothered. It's a new type of filter. So I don't believe it's a sign of the economy unless it's something specific to your industry.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:14 AM

317 posts, read 222,211 times
I have a bachelor's degree, and I was thinking about pursuing an MBA later on. I would be interested on the responses on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment