Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 08:17 PM

433 posts, read 1,369,931 times

Advertisements

It's been about 4 months that I've been at this job at this store and the assistant manager is so ****in mean to me. She sometimes gets annoyed at simple questions I ask her, gives me these dirty looks, doesn't say hi or bye to me. She looks to be in her mid to late 20s and she's even a mother, but she's like a ****in teenage bully in high school with how she acts with me.

She doesn't go overboard like insulting me, making my work harder, etc. but she's really starting to **** me off. She most probably doesn't like me because I had trouble during the beginning of the job and got lost/confused here and there and took more time to learn what I was doing and people had to help me. She was nice to me when I first started though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 11:31 PM

79 posts, read 220,216 times
Just hang in there. Just focus on the job and things will get better in time.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:20 AM

12 posts, read 19,458 times
If a supervisor can speak roughly to you, you can speak roughly to them. After all, this is an acceptable form of communication to them. For some reason, when you do it back, things usually get better real quick. Either that or you don't have a mean rotten supervisor anymore because the person won't accept being on the receiving end of what they've been giving out and needless to say...you all may kiss each other goodbye.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:01 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Her behavior can only have an effect on you if you allow yourself to react to it. Concentrate on your job, keep a smile on your face, continue to be polite to her and simply ignore it when she looks at you sideways. I should add that I couldn't disagree more with the previous poster who advises a "tit for tat" routine.

Anyway, you may well be reading way too much into it. She's a young mother and probably has much more on her mind than devoting energy to disliking you.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:27 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Employee Relations 101: Take her aside and explain in a calm controlled way (with no ****ing starred words) that you find her interaction with you a hindrance and a distraction and you are interested in both of you working together to get the job done. This is addressing the problem at the lowest level. If it doesn't stop, elevate it to her manager.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:29 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by secret4777 View Post
Just hang in there. Just focus on the job and things will get better in time.
Got it.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:00 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,889 times
Being young Mother means nothing. It doesn't mean they have other things on their mind simply because they are a young Mother that is no excuse.

People are the way they are because they get away it and they are testing to see how far they can go. It's a power struggle and she wants that control over you, she wants to domintate in what I consider to be an insecure way to go about it, similar to the way a child in High School would.

Sometimes the excuse is because they think you are something they don't approve of so they want to discriminate against you and can't come out and say why because they know it's discrimination. You'd be shocked at some the reasons I have found out as to why people behave this way. They like to dominate and almost always start with the look then the attitude.

Sometimes when you wait until they make the faces at you and have an attitude at that time if y ou say to them 'are you ok?' 'you look like something is bothering you' or 'you look upset' say it politely and with concern for them and they will see you aren't oblivious to their behavior nor are you as stupid as they assume you to be and not fearful to confront them about it. Because you haven't done anything wrong there's no reason to ask if it's you or if they are upset with you. There's no reason to suspect you did anything unless you know or think you did. Then again she could just feel threatened by you and fear losing her job to you.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:44 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
It's been about 4 months that I've been at this job at this store and the assistant manager is so ****in mean to me. She sometimes gets annoyed at simple questions I ask her, gives me these dirty looks, doesn't say hi or bye to me. She looks to be in her mid to late 20s and she's even a mother, but she's like a ****in teenage bully in high school with how she acts with me.

She doesn't go overboard like insulting me, making my work harder, etc. but she's really starting to **** me off. She most probably doesn't like me because I had trouble during the beginning of the job and got lost/confused here and there and took more time to learn what I was doing and people had to help me. She was nice to me when I first started though.
You have probably hit the nail on the head with this.
Not trying to be mean but if you come off needing as much reassurance at work at you seem to in your posts, you are probably jangling her last nerve.
I really doubt that it's some sort of power play, or fear for her job, yada, yada. She's probably exasperated and hoping you'll get fed up and move on to something else. I've seen this play out too many times to think it's anything else.
You might go to the manager and see if you can resolve the situation. But then again I've seen plenty of managers who "let" their assistants do the dirty work of running off an employee too.
If you want to keep the job the best bet is to just grin and bear it like secret4777 said. Eventually things will probably work themselves out and she will more than likely just avoid you as much as possible and leave you to do your job.

Last edited by DubbleT; 10-22-2011 at 06:58 PM..

Old 10-22-2011, 06:31 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,480,973 times
You don't think you annoy her as much as she annoys you? If she was nice to you before she got to know you and now treats you like crap, that indicates something.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:41 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
You don't think you annoy her as much as she annoys you? If she was nice to you before she got to know you and now treats you like crap, that indicates something.

Yeah I have to wonder given the many questions the OP asks on here that for most people are basic common sense, that if the OP doesn't drive this woman up the wall.

Sorry, but if what you consider to be simple questions are similar to what you ask on here you're probably driving her crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment