Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 03:00 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Have you explored moving? I know you say you don't want to move because the market is poor, but what does it hurt to list your house and see what you can get?

The market IS poor, which means you might be able to get a great deal buying a house close to the new job. I would seriously explore moving. Bring a few agents through your house, price it out and try to sell it. Even if you don't get exactly what you want, but a smaller home that is 5 miles from the new job. If your house is paid off, you have some wiggle room.

Assuming gas is at $3.45/gal and you get 20 mi/gal, you will spend $97/week on gas. that is $418/mo on gas. If you sell your home and move closer, you can get a 30 year mortgage on a new house for roughly $90,000 and pay that same amount (I was doing this in my head assuming a 5% APR...so the numbers aren't precise, but they are ballpark). That means you can buy a home for $90k more than what you can sell your house for, live extremely close to work (walking distance maybe?) and be just as well off financially (well...better actually as you save wear and tear on the car, and you also get a few hours back every day).

If it were me, I would definitely sell the home and spend the extra money on a mortgage rather than gas.
In my situation moving would be challenging. 1) I went back to school after the plant closed and have had a limited income for quite some time. Qualifying for a mortgage would be impossible (although I have excellent credit) 2) Where I am right now is PERFECT for the business I am developing. I am equidistant from three cities (Nashville, Chattanooga & Huntsville) and what I am focusing on would require a broad market. In the long run staying here would be a benefit.

I agree with your analysis though if I intended to take a permanent job in a location so far away. The savings in gas, time and wear and tear on a vehicle would far outweigh any additional mortgage payments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 06:08 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
In my situation moving would be challenging. 1) I went back to school after the plant closed and have had a limited income for quite some time. Qualifying for a mortgage would be impossible (although I have excellent credit) 2) Where I am right now is PERFECT for the business I am developing. I am equidistant from three cities (Nashville, Chattanooga & Huntsville) and what I am focusing on would require a broad market. In the long run staying here would be a benefit.

I agree with your analysis though if I intended to take a permanent job in a location so far away. The savings in gas, time and wear and tear on a vehicle would far outweigh any additional mortgage payments.
That is fair...I was just throwing it out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment