Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 02:45 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I will have to drive regardless of the job...
Is the commute going to be any less for the next job opening?
For the first couple or months as you determine if the fit is right..
and assuming so, work toward making other changes to move closer to the job?

Yeah, you do what you have to.
Then do what you need to.

hth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 05:01 PM

460 posts, read 1,140,070 times
Good luck on your interview Wartrace, if you ace the interview and are offered the position then this is likely a position you were meant to take. Yes, in TN those types of commutes are fairly common. As other posters have suggested you can leave the employer with the impression you are looking into moving closer to Nashville.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:10 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,558 times
Take the job. This is too valuable to pass up.

In this economy you never know when the next opportunity will present itself. It could be years before you get another good job offer. Remember, too, that being employed will make you a more attractive candidate for other jobs that may come up.

As the other posters have said, just make sure you have a contingency plan for getting to work in bad weather or if you have car problems.

You can do it. Good luck.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:39 PM

225 posts, read 1,114,910 times
The biggest question you have to ask youreself here is "can I lose another three hours or so out of my day?" rather than is a 50+ mile commute too far. Once you get used to the commute (a couple months) it will be just part of life and not that big of a deal. The bigger deal is, will your present vehicle do the commute, how long till you wear it out and need to buy another, how much will you spend on gas, oil changes, tires, repairs, and possibly speeding tickets when you're late?

I commuted three states away for a half a dozen years. I left two hours before my start time, earlier in bad weather, and *usually* got home 2+ hours after quitting time depending on traffic/wrecks on the Interstate/Beltway and sometimes 3-4 hours or more. It takes a BIG chunk out of your day, wears out your vehicle at an advanced rate and there are times you will come home, eat, let the dogs out and then go to bed and get right back up next day and repeat. On Friday, you'll wonder where the week went. Your weekend is spent recovering and you'll be suprised how little you feel like doing when you are home. Just my experience.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:32 AM

8,062 posts, read 12,774,958 times
Moot point. I went to the interview and it was not what was discussed on the phone. I was hoping to be able to use my managerial accounting skills (along with financial accounting) and the owner had given me the impression I would have that opportunity. It turns out what they needed was a dedicated bookkeeper and that there would be very little opportunity for other accounting work. (Oh, no benefits either ) I am better off to continue looking.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:41 AM

753 posts, read 1,482,463 times
Sorry to hear that. Keep it up. Something a better fit for you will come along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Moot point. I went to the interview and it was not what was discussed on the phone. I was hoping to be able to use my managerial accounting skills (along with financial accounting) and the owner had given me the impression I would have that opportunity. It turns out what they needed was a dedicated bookkeeper and that there would be very little opportunity for other accounting work. (Oh, no benefits either ) I am better off to continue looking.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:33 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
I know this opportunity is dead, but still wanted to comment. It is very hard to judge something by a "56 mile commute". That could translate in to an actual commute of anything from an hour to three hours depending on where the commute is.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:55 PM

8,062 posts, read 12,774,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I know this opportunity is dead, but still wanted to comment. It is very hard to judge something by a "56 mile commute". That could translate in to an actual commute of anything from an hour to three hours depending on where the commute is.
Yes it could. In this particular situation I would have to have negotiated "truckers curve" on the way home which (it seems) suffers from at least one overturned semi-truck every other month. It also involved a lot of the known "trouble areas" on our local interstates where there are always delays.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:07 PM

475 posts, read 1,370,851 times
Well that's too bad it wasn't as expected. Probably a long trip for keeping books. I would go far for something related to what I wanted but not for a no-way street. But I try not to psyche myself out. I was contemplating 43 miles the other week but no call back so no more problem. Or back to the original one.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:35 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Have you explored moving? I know you say you don't want to move because the market is poor, but what does it hurt to list your house and see what you can get?

The market IS poor, which means you might be able to get a great deal buying a house close to the new job. I would seriously explore moving. Bring a few agents through your house, price it out and try to sell it. Even if you don't get exactly what you want, but a smaller home that is 5 miles from the new job. If your house is paid off, you have some wiggle room.

Assuming gas is at $3.45/gal and you get 20 mi/gal, you will spend $97/week on gas. that is $418/mo on gas. If you sell your home and move closer, you can get a 30 year mortgage on a new house for roughly $90,000 and pay that same amount (I was doing this in my head assuming a 5% APR...so the numbers aren't precise, but they are ballpark). That means you can buy a home for $90k more than what you can sell your house for, live extremely close to work (walking distance maybe?) and be just as well off financially (well...better actually as you save wear and tear on the car, and you also get a few hours back every day).

If it were me, I would definitely sell the home and spend the extra money on a mortgage rather than gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment