Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 08:25 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,124,809 times

Advertisements

One of my biggest peeves is smokers, in general. What a nasty habit. YUCK!!!

What bugs me more is when coworkers come back in from their "group" smoke break and they have the smell all on their cloths and hands. I hate getting paperwork handed to me by someone that has just finished smoking.

I don't know but it just burns me up. Go wash your hands and spray febreze on you cloths, brush your teeth and throw a mint in your month.

Heck, even after I eat the smallest snack I brush.

Man, I get disgusted fast when it comes to smokers. The area of town I live in is very walkable so If I find myself walking behind someone that "lights up", I immediately cross the street if I can or slow my pace down. Smoking sticks and it's just nasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 08:33 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,447,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
One of my biggest peeves is smokers, in general...
...when coworkers come back in from their "group" smoke break...
Start referring to them as the "85%er's" they are... they'll love that.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:59 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,470,864 times
The general public cannot be held back because you are a hypochondriac. You sound like the whiny chick at the office who is allergic to peanuts, so no one in the office can have any peanut products. For the record, I hate the smell as well, but it is their right. Go work at an employer that doesn't hire smokers then.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
The general public cannot be held back because you are a hypochondriac. You sound like the whiny chick at the office who is allergic to peanuts, so no one in the office can have any peanut products. For the record, I hate the smell as well, but it is their right. Go work at an employer that doesn't hire smokers then.

Yup, just like it's my right to create this thread so, you can come in and whine about me creating this thread.

Pot meet Kettle.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:34 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,656,329 times
One of my biggest pet peeves is co-workers who whine. Man...shut up and keep it to yourself.

And obsese co-workers....gross.

I also really hate having to sit in a conference room and watch some ugly chick give a presentation.

I mean, I really can't believe that I have to work with people different than myself...it drives me nuts.

Guess I'll just have to grow up and deal with it like a mature adult.

[sarcasm off]

Old 10-25-2011, 10:38 AM

It must suck to be you.

Man, shut up and keep it to yourself. No one wants to hear you whine what others are doing.

(sarcasm off)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
One of my biggest pet peeves is co-workers who whine. Man...shut up and keep it to yourself.

I also really hate having to sit in a conference room and watch some ugly chick give a presentation.

I mean, I really can't believe that I have to work with people different than myself...it drives me nuts.

[sarcasm off]

Old 10-25-2011, 10:48 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,447,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
The general public cannot be held back...
But the point is not about "the general public"...
it's about the limited number of people invited to work in an office or building.

Quote:
...I hate the smell as well, but it is their right.
Whose right? It's an accommodation or perhaps an allowance...
but the concept of it being a "right"? That one doesn't really fly.
And not even for the general public.

Quote:
Go work at an employer that doesn't hire smokers then.
A suggestion which is getting easier to do every day.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:18 AM

525 posts, read 895,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post

[sarcasm off]
What you fail to recognize is the fact that second hand smoke causes illnesses and lung problems especially folks that have asthma or another aliment. I guess its alright if it dosn't bother other people but the bottom of the line is that second hand smoke causes problems. If your outside that can be dealt with but inside the smoke winds its way thru the building. So next time you light up inside just remember the universe does not revolve around you so quit blowin smoke in my area.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
What you fail to recognize is the fact that second hand smoke causes illnesses and lung problems especially folks that have asthma or another aliment. I guess its alright if it dosn't bother other people but the bottom of the line is that second hand smoke causes problems. If your outside that can be dealt with but inside the smoke winds its way thru the building. So next time you light up inside just remember the universe does not revolve around you so quit blowin smoke in my area.
Thank you.

That's what the whole point is. The "haters" in this thread act like it's similar to eating apples or oranges. It's not that simple.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:56 AM

15,939 posts, read 20,903,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Thank you.

That's what the whole point is. The "haters" in this thread act like it's similar to eating apples or oranges. It's not that simple.
That wasn't your whole point. Your original whinge is about smokers coming back from a break and their offensive smell, which in no way affects your health. (unless you have a 'delicate' constitution???)

I happen to agree with you that the smell of smoke on other people can be nauseating at times, but it's not any worse than someone with BO or poor dental hygiene.
I understand getting upset over actual secondhand smoke in your face, but a funky odor is an entirely different matter.

The 'haters' are trying to point out that you don't have the right to work only with people you don't find offensive for some reason. A completely separate issue from the secondhand smoke debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment