Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 02:43 PM

511 posts, read 2,451,151 times

Advertisements

Everyone I talk to says the system for hiring the best candidate for a job is broken.

People complain about the employers dependence on resumes which reduce a person to a piece of paper.

They also claim that the interview process is really a waste of time because just because a applicant can put on the charm and answer silly questions well does not mean they will end up being a good employee.

Others complain that employment testing is a waste of time and discriminates against immigrants and minorities.

Still others believe that employers dependence on employment verification and professional references discriminate against shy people and those who happen to work for organizations that are more flexible about giving ex employee references.

Finally, other people complain many employers are too caught up on using education as a vehicle to accept or reject candidates. This discriminates against the poor and minorities.
-------
So, if you were in charge what process would you use to determine who should be hired for a professional job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 02:55 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
My two cents:

1. Resume
2. Interview and or testing
3. Probationary period
4. Hire

Steps 1 and 2 can definitely be faked but 3 is more difficult. Tough luck if someone has a hard time testing for whatever reason. Depending on the situation/job you could be more or less lenient but I don't see a problem with testing for certain jobs.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:57 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Resume/application + activity-based interview. Have the potential hire attempt to do the job during the interview. Even if they can't do it (because it requires extensive training, etc), their attitude and willingness to learn/deal with stress/relate to others, etc will clearly shine through.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:19 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
1. Resume
2. Interview and or testing
3. Probationary period
4. Hire

Steps 1 and 2 can definitely be faked but 3 is more difficult.
The solution will be in ways to get to step 3 far sooner than has been.
Some jobs might take a while to flush out actual competence...
this makes employers apprehensive for UI risks. This especially applies to entry level work.

The problem is that given the latitude employers will be tempted to abuse the privelege.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:44 PM

147 posts, read 314,484 times
I've posted this before and I'll post it again:

In Person: Hiring in a Dysfunctional Job Market - Science Careers - Biotech, Pharmaceutical, Faculty, Postdoc jobs on Science Careers

More or less goes like this:
1. Post up want ad with specific instructions (NO formulaic cover letters + resumes)
2. Invite everyone who followed instructions to an open house (and if possible, see if they can come up with the next step for hiring)
3. Technical skills trial (or give some time for people to learn this skill and see if they excel)
4. Shadowing
5. Hire top performers from step 4.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:57 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
The system is broken. The whole HR field is a joke from my experience. For my work, I ask a candidate to measure a piece of steel with vernier scale micrometers. That's all I need to see. If they can read the scale, and if they hold the measuring device properly, they got the job. You'd be surprised how hard it is to find someone who can pass that simple test these days.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:29 AM

511 posts, read 2,451,151 times
Some people have suggested that companies just hire a group of people and see how they shake out during the probationary period. Hire 5 or six and let a couple stay. I believe that approach is cruel and will destroy lives and create huge paperwork and unemployment insurance burdens. Also, everyone hired will fight each other to be the one chosen to be kept on and this will cause lots of conflict and general office politics. Finally it will cause companies problem with training and orientation because they will have to train everyone on how to do the job but half of the staff will not survive and their training time is wasted.

I think the current system while flawed is better.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:29 AM

188 posts, read 414,513 times
Although not totally related, I believe this article has some good points:

Why Companies Can't Find the Employees They Need - WSJ.com

Old 10-27-2011, 06:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times
There are companies hiring entry level positions where most anyone can do it that use the odd psychological test questions, but for skilled, experienced jobs, the key is in asking good questions. We can tell if someone really has done the work by their answers to questions that require relating an experience in doing the work. In some cases as work sample project is
also very useful, I have used that in several cases to eliminate those that sound good in the interview but are really not qualified. Whether a person can handle attention to detail, and their job ethic are harder to measure.
That's what the 6 month probationary period is for. Even then some will slip through and wait until the probation is over before slacking, but with proper documentation to build a case, they can still end up being let go.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:41 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Have the potential hire attempt to do the job during the interview.
That may work for a technical job, or something that requires an ability to do a well-defined task (be it measuring a piece of steel or working a deep fryer) where it would be relatively straightforward to observe if a person can do it or not. But in the corporate world, I would be hard pressed to think of many positions for which one could come in and "attempt to do the job" during the interview.

You need the resume so you can at least see if the applicant even has, at least, the basic qualifications for the job. You need the interviews to be able to meet with the candidate in person and to ask questions and get to know them better (and the interview allows the candidate to get to know the company better).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment