U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-27-2011, 10:50 AM
 
984 posts, read 839,363 times
Reputation: 1213
Default Corporate Jobs:Responsibility without Power?

A common problem with many corporate jobs being put in responsibility, or authority but having no real authority to actually make decisions

For example your Managing a project - and you have a delivery date - All the resources have already been decided by senior management, resources are moved, pulled, added without your agreement everyday. Senior Management and their line managers are indirectly managing the project, with meetings behind your back with the resources - and working on plans in the background which your hear thru the grapevine. The resources very quickly get the message that the line managers and senior managers are in control, and your reputation is undermined. Your real role is pull everything together, your not really managing it with any real authority.

Clients are delaying on information to complete the project but your not allowed demand anything, or get tough - therefore the project slips, and you get in trouble for not delivering on time. Clients can outrageous demands, and do as they wish and the manager has to grovel.

Your planning a project - but your never sure on the number of resources because the REAL plan is decided behind your back by management, and the actual work is controlled by engineers - therefore its very hard to actually verify progress and determine the length of time to complete activities - your real role is piece together the information, collate and collect.

Your a line manager - but any hiring and firing decisions are made by the managers above you, or maybe above them - indeed many of the actions you take are made by consensus of senior managers.

Senior managers outside your department or area, are poking there nose into things that are outside their area - they can go behind your back whisper to your manager, Indeed a manager is always more likely to change something for another manager purely because their trying gain influence in the rest of the organisation. Indeed a person could actually lose their job because of offending a manager.

Other departments are not doing things properly, or making mistakes which affect your job - and you have no ability to negotiate or force them to rectify, it again has to go thru management who often don't want to cause any ripples in the organisation and problems continue.

There are thousands of these piggy in the middle, authority but no responsibility Jobs in every corporate organisation - except there is total denialism about their lack of authority by employees, you speak to people and they will pretend their free to make all the decisions they want - when in reality they have to get have to run to their manager to get most things approced and most of the real decisions are made my senior managers- the majority of corporate desk jockeys like to pretend to their in control.

Is that not the route of the problems in corporate life - lack of control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-27-2011, 12:02 PM
 
Location: The Triad (nc)
17,195 posts, read 21,873,077 times
Reputation: 14274
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
A common problem with many corporate jobs being put in responsibility, or authority but having no real authority to actually make decisions

Is that not the route of the problems in corporate life - lack of control.
That isn't in any way exclusive to corporate jobs...
if anything it's more of an issue with smaller companies.

In general...
striking the responsibility:authority balance (that suits YOU) is the definition of success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2011, 12:19 PM
 
5,190 posts, read 2,379,929 times
Reputation: 1720
I hear you rant.

It sounds like that you really don't know how to manage a project. Taking yours as an example, when your resource is being pulled to a point that it may affect your project, you should bring the issue up to your manager and have him/her resolve it for you.

Ultimately, if you fail, that means he/she would fail too. Hardly any manager would let you hang like that and they will step in and get the resource you need - it's their job. Of course, there are always some bad managers but as long as you have communicated your challenge to him/her clearly, you aren't responsible for the failures, your manager is. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2011, 02:36 PM
 
984 posts, read 839,363 times
Reputation: 1213
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I hear you rant.

It sounds like that you really don't know how to manage a project. Taking yours as an example, when your resource is being pulled to a point that it may affect your project, you should bring the issue up to your manager and have him/her resolve it for you.

Ultimately, if you fail, that means he/she would fail too. Hardly any manager would let you hang like that and they will step in and get the resource you need - it's their job. Of course, there are always some bad managers but as long as you have communicated your challenge to him/her clearly, you aren't responsible for the failures, your manager is. :-)
OK - So because a resource is pulled away - then you try to blame the manager - that's a Naive answer - you hardly going to tell a client it was your boss fault because you did not have the resources.

I was working a project - the project manager was screaming for resources and support to complete a project - the PM was fired - then a few weeks later a new PM is appointed and they get all the support and resources in the world - this is what is happens corporate life.

This is what happens, problems are ignored, brushed under the carpet - then the Real world hits, clients complaining, financial penalties and suddenly management get the finger and start managing.

Nope its a more fundamental point of corporate jobs- of that feeling of Powerlessness, often taking any kind of action or really take control is not taken seriously unless its done by a senior manager who has got the power to fire people.

People will only change the behaviour when they feel as if they can fired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2011, 02:41 PM
 
Location: NJ
17,580 posts, read 19,977,248 times
Reputation: 15381
Interesting. I would almost never associate a job that deals with a client as a "corporate job".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2011, 02:53 PM
 
5,190 posts, read 2,379,929 times
Reputation: 1720
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
OK - So because a resource is pulled away - then you try to blame the manager - that's a Naive answer - you hardly going to tell a client it was your boss fault because you did not have the resources.

I was working a project - the project manager was screaming for resources and support to complete a project - the PM was fired - then a few weeks later a new PM is appointed and they get all the support and resources in the world - this is what is happens corporate life.

This is what happens, problems are ignored, brushed under the carpet - then the Real world hits, clients complaining, financial penalties and suddenly management get the finger and start managing.

Nope its a more fundamental point of corporate jobs- of that feeling of Powerlessness, often taking any kind of action or really take control is not taken seriously unless its done by a senior manager who has got the power to fire people.

People will only change the behaviour when they feel as if they can fired.
I would fire that PM too. :-)

The PM's responsibility is to inform his/her manager any resource constraint and possibility of blowing quality, budget or deadline. The manager's job is to get the resource the PM needs. Like I said, hardly any manager would refuse to provide appropriate resource.

I am not sure which part you don't understand. I have managed many many projects. I have experienced many times that resource was pulled by other managers but my manager was aware of this and his manager was aware of this. It is not frustrating to me at all. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2011, 02:53 PM
 
1,328 posts, read 1,145,334 times
Reputation: 1335
If you want authority and power, come up with a decent idea and put it into play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2011, 02:57 PM
 
5,190 posts, read 2,379,929 times
Reputation: 1720
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
If you want authority and power, come up with a decent idea and put it into play.
To the OP, who, in this world, do you think has power? the President of the United States doesn't even have power. He can't even push a simple bill over. :-)

Only dictators have powers, only within their countries of course. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2011, 03:29 PM
 
984 posts, read 839,363 times
Reputation: 1213
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
To the OP, who, in this world, do you think has power? the President of the United States doesn't even have power. He can't even push a simple bill over. :-)

Only dictators have powers, only within their countries of course. :-)
Not sure about that anymore even Dictators can have their power these days look at Hussein, Mubarak, Ben Ali, Bin Laden and recently poor old Gadhafi - its the New World Order.

No place for eccentric dictators of the 20th in the new Corporatocracy - its corporate interests which control the world.

Sorry I am going conspiracy mode again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2011, 03:41 PM
 
5,190 posts, read 2,379,929 times
Reputation: 1720
If you are feeling powerless, that's only because you are working in a wrong way, I am afraid. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top