U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 02:39 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,675,462 times
Default Do you get disgusted by the job search process?

after awhile i get completely nausiated by searching for jobs online, filling out the online apps and the detailed work history and so forth. Day after day it just becomes such an unpleasant process. I have to detach from it and play games in my mind to remain focused and determined, otherwise i could see how people just stop looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 04:16 PM

20,293 posts, read 15,501,735 times
I think it's better to hire a job placement agent and have them do it all for you.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:36 PM

76 posts, read 101,911 times
Yup, I've been out of work for ten months now. Seems each day there's less and less positions open to apply to. I'm thinking about taking a few weeks off from the search to clear my head.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:39 PM

904 posts, read 925,074 times
I think I get tired of the whole "must have experience" stuff. Then again, I guess I'm a hypocrit because if I has a lot of experience, I'd be happier if I only had to compete against people with experience and not college graduates. But anyways, yeah.

I love when I see job postings and they say "Entry level position", then I look at the full posting and it says they require 2-3 years experience. Are ya ****ting me?

But to answer this in a more simple way: Yes, yes I am...

Old 11-04-2011, 11:54 PM

5,373 posts, read 6,247,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I think it's better to hire a job placement agent and have them do it all for you.
That's the way to do it!

Old 11-05-2011, 12:39 AM

20,293 posts, read 15,501,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
That's the way to do it!
Absolutely. It's easier when someone else is handling all the little things for you. Especially someone who's got more experience at it.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:10 AM

137 posts, read 298,687 times
What gets me are the ones with a long list of requirements then come to find out the job pays 8 bucks an hour...

Old 11-05-2011, 07:24 AM

934 posts, read 2,478,790 times
The interview process is worse especially getting asked the same questions by all 4 or 5 people you meet (some of whom you won't even be working with) and the interview sometimes being more of an interrogation or cross examination on the witness stand...

Old 11-05-2011, 07:46 AM

134 posts, read 165,547 times
I have given up looking for jobs for the time being.

Over the past 6 months I have applied for close to 175 jobs. I have had 3 in person interviews. No job offers. In the new American economy that is a decent batting average.

Pretty much every company requires you to apply online. Then you have to set up a log in and password for each company's web site. Then you have to upload your resume, where you usually get the following error:

"The system cannot parse your resume. Please fill out the following information."

Then you spend an hour retyping your resume into little boxes, only to hit the apply button and have nothing happen. No confirmation, nada.

If you do end up wading through the online process and get a confirmation, usually you never hear from the company. Seemingly your online application goes into a black hole of nothingness.

Three months later that same job you applied to online (and of which you have the majority of qualifications for) is posted back up on their website.

Too may non-jobs out there. Too many scams (Craigslist, CareerBuilder, etc.).

I am done looking for jobs for a while. It is too depressing.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:37 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,453,678 times
Very disgusted here. I am just trying to find a basic j.o.b. to tide me over while I work on other things but....
1) You go on an interview and they don't have the courtesy of even sending you a rejection e-mail even after stating "we will let you know when we make our decision".

2) The resume "black hole" when you send out a resume and never even have it acknowledged. You always wonder if they got it.

3) Employers who will not go over job details over the phone. They expect you to come in to an interview to learn if the job is even something you WANT to do? No respect for people- waste my time and gas just to find out it isn't something you want.

4) Misleading employers. I did talk to one employer who made it sound as if he needed my skills. It was a long commute but I was willing to do it for the experience. I go to the interview and it is a bookkeepers job? While I am prepared for some degree of bookkeeping I have skills I want to use and this job didn't involve any of them.

5) As another poster mentioned- the online application process where they expect you to waste an hour of your time filling out an online application because their software doesn't work. Worse yet, the ones that make you fill out the detailed application and then at the end ask for a text resume??? Another issue is the "password protected" application sites that have varying requirements for passwords. I must have five different passwords for services like teleo and the like that I have to remember.

6) The "Spanish inquisition" interview techniques. I "was" going to interview for a low level QA job nearby at a corporation. Two feet from the conference room door the HR guy says "we are going to be meeting with the QA managers today" He opened the door and there were six people in there. I do not handle that very well and had a panic attack- SIX freaking people to interview for a low level job?

7) Interviewers that waste your time- particularly "Robert Half" and similar placement agencies. They must have an interview "quota" system where they are required to interview a number of people each month. They expect you to interview with them for jobs they do not have open. They have my resume- they shouldn't ask you to come in unless they have a specific job they need to fill. Again, it is a waste of time and fuel.

8) Interviewers that keep you waiting. I went to a temp service the other day. I arrived a little early and saw the woman I was going to interview with chatting with her co-workers. She kept me waiting 15 minutes past our appointment??

I think the lack of respect demonstrated by employers/H.R. people is just indicative of our society. It seems to me that in our society there has been a steady decline in respecting other people.

I am just about ready to give up on a j.o.b. and just try to make it on my business income alone. It is going to be extremely tight but whats the point of wasting time in this employment market? I had a LOT to offer an employer but they are too shortsighted to take advantage of my services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment