Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 04:26 PM

21 posts, read 44,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Programmers should also be trained in psychology, sociology and anthropology. But we can't have geniuses everywhere, otherwise we'd have to pay them more. There's a place for everyone.
No, no, I didn't mean to go this far with it, but the idea is too many employed programmers have very shallow knowledge base. Ultimately, it serves programming profession no good, since there are too many essentially unqualified people who are ready to get booted at first opportunity. So when IT sector shows hiring, it doesn't really imply healthy growth, but simply shows inflation. But even aside from business aspects, simply looking at the pioneers of computing shows how much knowledge one needs to have to be effective in this profession.

Just a side question (I assume you're programmer): if I ask you to reproduce Boyer-Moore in C++, would you be able to do it just from memory?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 05:35 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPlayer View Post
No, no, I didn't mean to go this far with it, but the idea is too many employed programmers have very shallow knowledge base. Ultimately, it serves programming profession no good, since there are too many essentially unqualified people who are ready to get booted at first opportunity. So when IT sector shows hiring, it doesn't really imply healthy growth, but simply shows inflation. But even aside from business aspects, simply looking at the pioneers of computing shows how much knowledge one needs to have to be effective in this profession.

Just a side question (I assume you're programmer): if I ask you to reproduce Boyer-Moore in C++, would you be able to do it just from memory?
I have a B.S.E. in Computer Science, but do not work in the field nor do I program regularly. I suppose you can consider part of my job software engineering.

I don't recall which search method the Boyer-Moore is anymore, thus I couldn't code it based off of the name. If I knew which one it was (and some information about how it worked), I could surely code it in C++. C++ is the language I learned to program in and used throughout high school and college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment