Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 09:27 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,247,502 times

Advertisements

So, not a huge crisis, but I need a small bit of advice and input:

I found a job posting online and applied for it with a cover letter and resume, the usual. It's a job I REALLY want because they noted their looking to give a college graduate a chance with no experience.

The job is about an hour from me, but it's in a city that I really want to relocate to. In my cover letter, I usually mention that I'm looking to relocate but am not seeking relocation assistance. This time, I made no mention that I'm wanting to relocate there and am not seeking any relocation help (Not even sure if people ask for relocation help if it's an hour anyways..).

I was thinking about writing them another short email simply saying I forgot to mention that I am looking to move an hour up to the city but am not looking for any relocation assistance. Should I email them or just leave it go? I'm almost afraid they'll see where I live now and assume the hour is too long of a commute or think that I'll want relocation assistance. I'm also afraid that if I email them with that I'll look like a pest. But on the other hand I don't know if I'll be in the running if they don't know my intentions of not wanting to commute but to move there. Do you think I'll still be considered if I don't say anything since an hour really isn't that far? Any advice?

I know, this is kind of a small thing to worry about, but I'm a little paranoid I guess because any job willing to take a new graduate with no experience does not come often and I really want to score an interview.

Thanks everyone!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 09:34 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,526,602 times
Don't say anything. An hour commute is not a big deal.

If you get an interview and depending on the how it is going, you might mention that you like the city and had thought about living there.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:38 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,677,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
So, not a huge crisis, but I need a small bit of advice and input:

I found a job posting online and applied for it with a cover letter and resume, the usual. It's a job I REALLY want because they noted their looking to give a college graduate a chance with no experience.

The job is about an hour from me, but it's in a city that I really want to relocate to. In my cover letter, I usually mention that I'm looking to relocate but am not seeking relocation assistance. This time, I made no mention that I'm wanting to relocate there and am not seeking any relocation help (Not even sure if people ask for relocation help if it's an hour anyways..).

I was thinking about writing them another short email simply saying I forgot to mention that I am looking to move an hour up to the city but am not looking for any relocation assistance. Should I email them or just leave it go? I'm almost afraid they'll see where I live now and assume the hour is too long of a commute or think that I'll want relocation assistance. I'm also afraid that if I email them with that I'll look like a pest. But on the other hand I don't know if I'll be in the running if they don't know my intentions of not wanting to commute but to move there. Do you think I'll still be considered if I don't say anything since an hour really isn't that far? Any advice?

I know, this is kind of a small thing to worry about, but I'm a little paranoid I guess because any job willing to take a new graduate with no experience does not come often and I really want to score an interview.

Thanks everyone!!
I would have said, "I am relocating to your city next month." Period. That way they don't think you expect them to pay your relocation costs.

Do employers hesitate to hire those an hour or more driving time away? Maybe, that's why you want to let them know you are moving there...

Old 11-04-2011, 10:33 PM

Thanks for the advice so far. Anyone have anything to add please?

Old 11-05-2011, 11:31 PM

bump...one last time

Old 11-06-2011, 01:13 AM

1,128 posts, read 3,473,018 times
Sending another email following your initial email can be a hassle. I think you should just wait until you hear something from them.

Also if you don't end up getting this position and are worried you won't find work because you have no experience, you should look into internships or some type of job that can get you that needed experience and your foot in the door.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:44 AM

650 posts, read 1,806,705 times
I don't think you need to send an email regarding your location, but you can always send a follow up letter in a week or so. Just mention you applied for this job but haven't heard from them yet and would really appreciate the opportunity to interview with them. You can also casually mention how much you would enjoy this job because you are looking to relocate anyway.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:59 AM

1,413 posts, read 4,470,792 times
I applied for a job that was a 2 hr commute. I was moving to the city anyway but I did not have that on my cover letter. During the initial phone interview they asked me about my location. The end result was I got the job. As long as you are confident sounding and give good answers to the questions, the location will be the least of their worries since it is just an hr away.

Unless you are applying for Firefighter, Police, EMT or another field that requires you to be on call and be at your station within a certain time frame.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:18 AM

17,574 posts, read 45,999,357 times
Don't send another email. An hour isn't that big of a deal.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:38 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,470,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Don't send another email. An hour isn't that big of a deal.
It's not a big deal at all. And I don't know of any company who pays for relocation expenses unless you're a top-notch whizz in a narrow field for which applicants are very few and far between. You shouldn't even be mentioning in a simple application that you're looking to relocate or (not) seeking relocation assistance.

You're over thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment