U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 09:57 PM

16,318 posts, read 6,637,019 times
Actual cost -come on, NJBest, as if a CEO cannot force a phony calculation. Tie it to a like sized jet, at commercial rates, something outside of his control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 11:09 PM

20,097 posts, read 14,641,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Actual cost -come on, NJBest, as if a CEO cannot force a phony calculation. Tie it to a like sized jet, at commercial rates, something outside of his control.
Possibly.... one of the benefits of being the CEO and not the pawn.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:12 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,574,558 times
I like this thread.

NJBest, this thread is for the common worker. You, as the boss, are not the friend of the average Joe and never will be. You are unwelcome in his discussions, and no matter how he acts to your face, he does not and never will like you. Go start a thread about how lazy your stupid peons are if you aren't going to add anything to this topic.

In that spirit, let me add one: The boss is deeply hurt by his emotional separation from his employees, but will never be able to trust them enough, and vice versa, to bridge the gap.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:18 PM

16,122 posts, read 9,812,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I read a book about a guy who worked 80 hours a week, travelled, gave up time with his family, after*w5 years, he was "laid off". Just like that.
Ha! I was that guy, and millions just like me. You read it in a book...

Old 11-06-2011, 11:19 PM

48,560 posts, read 44,620,692 times
"u r the only one" (that does something negative like not return calls or people calling when u r out)
this is always baloney. i would find that they told that to everybody.
they dont tell you that, they were mediocre employees at best when they did your job and the job was 1/2 as hard then and 1/2 the workload.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:52 PM

20,097 posts, read 14,641,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
I like this thread.

NJBest, this thread is for the common worker. You, as the boss, are not the friend of the average Joe and never will be. You are unwelcome in his discussions, and no matter how he acts to your face, he does not and never will like you. Go start a thread about how lazy your stupid peons are if you aren't going to add anything to this topic.

In that spirit, let me add one: The boss is deeply hurt by his emotional separation from his employees, but will never be able to trust them enough, and vice versa, to bridge the gap.
This thread and the average Joe have nothing in common. The average Joe does not work for employers as ridiculously described in this thread.

This thread is clearly for entertainment value... which is fine. As long as no one takes it seriously.

And, you think you can somehow unwelcome me. I am more like the average Joe than you think.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:57 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,574,558 times
dude, i do not care at all. but you come in here all annoying crapping on the thread so that's what I assume, forgive me.

Of course all the specific examples don't apply for every job, but the general dynamic is often the same. Bosses and employees have a power dynamic going on, and that always creates interesting human behavior. The bosses use all kinds of means of intimidation and withholding information to try to gain the upper hand, makes perfect sense why they would do that. It's interesting to point out the specific things they might do.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:17 AM

2,000 posts, read 2,526,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash potato View Post
that your wage deductions are incorrectly or carelessly calculated and they're keeping the difference.
I find this one hard to believe....

I have worked in payroll for years---now granted I have done payroll on behalf of employers with thousands to hundreds of thousands of employees-- but payroll errors have never been intentional. Most companies, even small ones, do NOT do their own payroll. Partly because of the complexity; it is not like cutting an AP check.

Even more so the most that a payroll outsourcer gets from paychecks is the interest float.

Now granted maybe if you are working for some ma and pop employer you may have other issues, but I have never worked anywhere where there was some intent of trying to incorrectly deduct your deductions whether they are taxes, benefits deductions, loans, etc by trying to "steal" some of that money.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash potato View Post
that if you did not sign up for medical and other benefits that you should get the value added in salary

that they hope you sign up for every plan and option they have because that means a smaller payroll check to pay out.

that you're probably being misclassified into a lower job category on their workers comp policy in order to save on that insurance cost.

that employee drug testing is of benefit to a company, to lower health insurance costs, not for safety reasons.

that payroll laws that went into effect were ignored because they were too much trouble to implement and you would never have known about it anyway.

I agree with another poster. You must be referring to experiences with one particular company because the things you are bringing up especially about payroll or deductions are FAR from the norm.

Payroll is generally one of the few areas with tremendous oversight from government both local, state, and federal--- and by ignoring compliance or regulations has significant penalties and fines.

Also-- your employer gives a rights arse if you want to sign up for all benefits or none of them and what it does to your net check. It neither helps them nor hurts them. They care about your gross not about your net.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
":that they hope you sign up for every plan and option they have because that means a smaller payroll check to pay out."

The little dirty secret is if a $1k per week employee pays $100/wk Health Care and $50 for his/her 401k portion, employee saves SS & Medicare on that $150. That is stupid tax policy,as neither should benefit the employer.
Considering the employer FICA rate is higher than the employee-- and also considering that if the employee in this case is taking advantage of health care benefits, the employer is already paying a significant amount more than the $100.00 (generally speaking) to the Health Insurance provider, would this really be so horribly unjust?

I can't recall off the top of my head if the FICA rate for Employers takes into account any voluntary pre-tax deductions (I *dont* believe it does as it is not the same for the employee), but if they did get the advantage why in the world would you care considering that usually the health care benefits offered by employers is generally an ENORMOUS cost? Why shouldn't they save an extra couple percent or two considering what they are paying out in the premiums?

I agree with another poster-- health care being tied to the employer is crippling this country. It is a huge cost that we can't compete with other countries against due to the sheer expense of health care offered by the employer in this country for even basic care (many other countries have employers offering special health care for their employees above and beyond the state sponsored health care packages).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment