Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 04:20 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,438,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagreeneyes03 View Post
Your thoughts??
1) Your hosts should have extended the invitation to the spouse.
2) Your husband is who has the real problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 04:51 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,601,096 times
Quote:
My husband, on the other hand is livid and causing a huge problem, telling me that "decent married women don't go to business dinners alone with men"

My husband is from latin america so I think part of it is cultural but he's telling me that out of respect for him, I should not go.

My husband has always been more jealous than normal, and I really don't want it getting in the way of my career, that is just starting to go the way I'd always wanted.
I'll say what I fear many want to say-

It starts with a vocal expression of displeasure...
and
...ends with spousal abuse or death.........

This is not an employment issue, this is a relationship/potential abusive issue. The employment/business aspect is just the canvas.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:03 PM

1,413 posts, read 4,467,695 times
Why are you not in the kitchen cooking and cleaning? In between cooking and cleaning you should be bearing children, ASAP....

This is the type of situations where you tell your Husband to shove it and get over it. If he can not, I am sure there is a Michelle Duggar out there for him.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:06 PM

30,110 posts, read 23,499,354 times
Quote:
Am I being too "liberal" by accepting to go to a business dinner with a manager of a company who provides services to me/my company and his boss? I don't think there is anything inappropriate in this.

My husband, on the other hand is livid and causing a huge problem, telling me that "decent married women don't go to business dinners alone with men" Well, it's not a one on one deal, and I don't have any other colleagues to take with me of a management level, as I am the top level manager (and only one) at my regional office.

I know both hosts, and one of them is older, married and the other doesn't prefer women anyways.

My husband is from latin america so I think part of it is cultural but he's telling me that out of respect for him, I should not go. Well in my opinion, to stay ahead in my job and career, and play the manager role, I need to accept the invitation, and I want to accept the invitation. I think it will be a nice dinner with conversation about our industry.

My husband has always been more jealous than normal, and I really don't want it getting in the way of my career, that is just starting to go the way I'd always wanted.

Your thoughts??
Having dated someone from that culture, it's going to be an issue with him but he needs to put his ego and machismo to the side, as well as his self esteem issues, and you go to dinner.

It's a fricken business dinner, not a night out on the town with two random guys.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:07 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,689,058 times
In the past, I had business dinners with male clients too but my husband never said a word...except maybe: ok or have a good time....

Sorry to hear of your predictament.

quote=Momotaro;21632298]Why are you not in the kitchen cooking and cleaning? In between cooking and cleaning you should be bearing children, ASAP....

This is the type of situations where you tell your Husband to shove it and get over it. If he can not, I am sure there is a Michelle Duggar out there for him.[/quote]

Old 11-08-2011, 06:26 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,776,020 times
Quote:
Am I being too "liberal" by accepting to go to a business dinner with a manager of a company who provides services to me/my company and his boss? I don't think there is anything inappropriate in this.

My husband, on the other hand is livid and causing a huge problem, telling me that "decent married women don't go to business dinners alone with men" Well, it's not a one on one deal, and I don't have any other colleagues to take with me of a management level, as I am the top level manager (and only one) at my regional office.

I know both hosts, and one of them is older, married and the other doesn't prefer women anyways.

My husband is from latin america so I think part of it is cultural but he's telling me that out of respect for him, I should not go. Well in my opinion, to stay ahead in my job and career, and play the manager role, I need to accept the invitation, and I want to accept the invitation. I think it will be a nice dinner with conversation about our industry.

Your thoughts??

Unless the dinner is at your boss house I don't see the issue

Old 11-09-2011, 05:34 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,509,565 times
I don't understand...is this the 1950s? Countless married women go to business dinners with clients. That's one of the necessities of a career. In many situations the spouse would actually NOT get an invitation to the business dinner unless the spouse is an executive in the same company and working on the same project or deal. If you want to have a serious career then your husband needs to be supportive and trust you. If he cannot do that, perhaps you need to make a decision: which matters more to you, your marriage or your career. Sorry, toots... That's the way it goes. This is not Latin America; plenty of women go to business lunches, dinners, and yes, go away on business trips and leave the husband to "fend for himself" while the woman is away! So you may need to rethink your goals. Its sounds to me he's going to have a lot of issues in the future.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:58 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,418,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
1) Your hosts should have extended the invitation to the spouse.
2) Your husband is who has the real problem.
1) Absolutely not, it's a BUSINESS dinner, not a social function. ("... a business dinner with a manager of a company who provides services to me/my company and his boss.) What's hubby going to do - sit there like a lemon while they're discussing business issues which have nothing to do with him and then complain for days thereafter that it was boring?

2) But, yes, the husband is the one with the problem.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:07 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,152,963 times
I am not married, but I wouldn't have a problem if my girlfriend hung out socially with only guys. You either trust your partner or you don't. It sounds like your husband simply doesn't trust you.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:43 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,927,756 times
Your husband needs to realise that this is part of your job.

My job requires that I travel occasionally with members of the opposite sex. Everything is on the up and up and none of us really want to be away from home. I also occasionally have to entertain clients and have had to miss family events and other things that do cause some issue for me but it is part of the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment