Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 01:13 AM

142 posts, read 317,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
You were LATE! Clearly, the employer expects his employees to show up on TIME. If he REQUIRES his employees to be 15 min. early....13 min is LATE! Showing up early can be a clear indicator that a person does NOT want to be there. I'd say, maybe not you, but in view of the fact that you made such a stink of it, it IS you!

If it's okay for one person to show up 13 min early, EVERYONE will start thinking it's okay....then it's 10 min, then it's 5 min., then just barely on time.....etc.
Well, the State of California happens to disagree with you as do about 85% of the responders. You're the one making the biggest stink on here; most of the other posters are just casually reading the post and opining "well you oughta be at work 10 to 15 minutes anyway".

Also, you said "Showing up early can be a clear indicator that a person does NOT want to be there". Did you mean to say late?

Last edited by cadillackid; 11-19-2011 at 01:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 07:36 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Well, the State of California happens to disagree with you as do about 85% of the responders. You're the one making the biggest stink on here; most of the other posters are just casually reading the post and opining "well you oughta be at work 10 to 15 minutes anyway".

Also, you said "Showing up early can be a clear indicator that a person does NOT want to be there". Did you mean to say late?

LOL.... yes, actually...I did mean to say late. I don't mean to sound like a bitter, nasty person. I'm really not. There are some greedy, dishonest employers out there. That's a fact. There are also a whole lot of employees out there who are absolute crap, as far as work ethics go. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd have to say at least 50%.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:26 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
The law is the law for non-exempt employees. The employer, in the eyes of the law, is clearly in the wrong. You cannot require someone arrive 15 minutes before the time they get paid. It's a bit absurd that they think they can get by with that; most large employers wouldn't even try.

IF it's a great job that you love ~ then I would say nothing and continue to arrive early.

IF it's a crappy job and you have one foot out the door already ~ then I would make an issue of it ~ and be prepared to find another job. (If you haven't already).

Old 11-19-2011, 04:32 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
You were LATE! Clearly, the employer expects his employees to show up on TIME. If he REQUIRES his employees to be 15 min. early....13 min is LATE!
This is almost comical now. You cannot be early and at the same time be late as well. That is an oxymoron.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:28 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
This is almost comical now. You cannot be early and at the same time be late as well. That is an oxymoron.
I agree. It's hard to wrap your brain around an employer's logic at times.

You're 13 minutes early . . . . No wait . . . you're late!

Old 11-19-2011, 06:48 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Yeah, LOL...when you put it that way, it does sound pretty insane, doesn't it? Well, on the plus side, at least the employer is paying them to be 15 min. early (on time?) now. As a nurse, in the facility where I worked last, you were required to be 30 min early. You didn't actually take over the med cart and patients at that time, but that's when you did report, drug count, etc. You did clock in and get paid for it. However, if you wanted to be "up" and ready for your shift, you did need to be there an additional 30 min ahead of time, off the clock, for extra prep & paperwork.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:07 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,938 times
Quote:
I remember a time when family members had to call BUSINESS lines, in order to talk to their family members who were at work...and those calls were restricted to EMERGENCIES only!
It's a 2-way street. When such practices were common, you worked at work, but when you weren't at work, you were more or less completely unavailable and not working. But the same technology you've blamed for lost productivity also gives increased productivity during times that once were literally not possible. An employer that has an attitude that you better never spend even a moment on Facebook while you're on "their time" had best not expect their employees to even so much as check email on their phone when they're not.

The line between what's "at work" and what's not has blurred in both directions.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:48 PM

81 posts, read 189,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Most of those business owners who work 60 hrs a week etc are the ones tha get ahead.
No, that just means the management clearly doesn't understand every facet of the business processes - accurately predicting the work load, creating a system of flow where each employee's work (time) is utilized properly, etc. Getting ahead of the competition means you operate better. If I get the job done in 30 hours what you take 60 hours to do, who's getting ahead in the business? Here's a real good example of my point. The big genome project was originally project to be completed in about 15 years or so. A guy comes along and made claim he can do it in 2 years. Well, we all the know the results. So who's getting ahead of the competition? See here http://video.pbs.org/video/1841308959
Quote:
... but that's when you did report, drug count, etc. You did clock in and get paid for it. However, if you wanted to be "up" and ready for your shift, you did need to be there an additional 30 min ahead of time, off the clock, for extra prep & paperwork.
That's sounds like work for me: report, drug count, paperwork, etc... In all my past jobs mostly in Cali in both public and private sector, 'on time' to them means when you clock in on or a few minutes before your designated start time, even if that means clocking in and getting ready to wear safety gear provided by the company on the premise.

Last edited by _TwentyTwenty_; 11-20-2011 at 01:05 PM..

Old 11-20-2011, 03:34 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I had a job, where 8am, meant you were logged into your computer, with the programs booted, and you were ready to work. Now, just doing the computer start up and logging in could take 15 or 20 minutes. I was paid salary, so that is where it is at.

When I was a flight attendant, we were required to report an hour early, for briefings, meet the crew. And if you were sick, they still had time to call someone in to replace you.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:16 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
A small business owner that puts in a 60 hr work is just starting out and those hrs will decrease over time.

I did business with a Jewish Grocery chain owner that spent some time working the cash register even with all his money. He and his two brothers together owned 9 stores. They did not get ahead working a 8 hr shift that many folks are satisfied with.

Most posts here are avg working people that have never owned or operated a business.

Small operations still exist today with some staying the same and others expanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment