U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 07:48 PM

923 posts, read 736,864 times

Advertisements

OK, I'm a 22 year old male and Ive held a job ever since I was 16, but Ive pretty much been fired or forced to quit from every job I've ever had, with the exception of 1. Ive seriously held like 30+ jobs, some for as little as a day to a week.

And although it might sound strange, I'm not sure why I keep getting put in this position over and over.I'm virtually never late, I never call out, I've never called in sick, I never argue with managers or costumers. I am completely respectful to all my co workers.

But I keep getting fired or laid off or forced to quit at every job either because I'm too much of a perfectionist or because people end up not liking me. An Example: I work for a cleaning company, the cleaning company tells us to half as everything, but I spend extra time cleaning so I can make sure the place I'm cleaning looks good, so I get fired for being slow. Another Example: I worked as a cashier for Target, Target requires their cashiers to sell a certain number of credit cards to costumers or lose hours, I ended up with 5 hours a week and ended up quiting(none of my managers objected, or tried to stop me.

I worked at a resturaunt, and all the people there were mean and agressive, borderline bi polar it seemed. They all hated me because I wasn't "manly" enough and just started making my life their a living hell till I quit. I don't know what it is, I just keep getting fired, and I'm not absolving myself of any responsibility, if I got fired and it was my fault, I would admit to it. But I havent done anything to get fired. Just today I got fired from my job at a plastic factory because I packaged some plastic lids wrong, but I was following the directions that were given to me by my supervisor and did it the way he told me to, and then they told me I put to much lids and told me to never come back.

LOL, I seriously dont understand what I'm doing wrong? Is it maybe because I keep to myself at jobs and dont really involve myself much in the social aspects of my co-workers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 08:34 PM

5,102 posts, read 5,219,364 times
It sounds like you need to find better quality jobs. From what you've posted, it's pretty obvious why you've been fired.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:45 PM

78 posts, read 150,630 times
I don't think you would get fired from the USMC. You would learn alot about yourself and teamwork or die trying.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:49 PM

936 posts, read 2,536,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
OK, I'm a 22 year old male and Ive held a job ever since I was 16, but Ive pretty much been fired or forced to quit from every job I've ever had, with the exception of 1. Ive seriously held like 30+ jobs, some for as little as a day to a week.

And although it might sound strange, I'm not sure why I keep getting put in this position over and over.I'm virtually never late, I never call out, I've never called in sick, I never argue with managers or costumers. I am completely respectful to all my co workers.

But I keep getting fired or laid off or forced to quit at every job either because I'm too much of a perfectionist or because people end up not liking me. An Example: I work for a cleaning company, the cleaning company tells us to half as everything, but I spend extra time cleaning so I can make sure the place I'm cleaning looks good, so I get fired for being slow. Another Example: I worked as a cashier for Target, Target requires their cashiers to sell a certain number of credit cards to costumers or lose hours, I ended up with 5 hours a week and ended up quiting(none of my managers objected, or tried to stop me.

I worked at a resturaunt, and all the people there were mean and agressive, borderline bi polar it seemed. They all hated me because I wasn't "manly" enough and just started making my life their a living hell till I quit. I don't know what it is, I just keep getting fired, and I'm not absolving myself of any responsibility, if I got fired and it was my fault, I would admit to it. But I havent done anything to get fired. Just today I got fired from my job at a plastic factory because I packaged some plastic lids wrong, but I was following the directions that were given to me by my supervisor and did it the way he told me to, and then they told me I put to much lids and told me to never come back.

LOL, I seriously dont understand what I'm doing wrong? Is it maybe because I keep to myself at jobs and dont really involve myself much in the social aspects of my co-workers?
Its OK that you are only 22. Try getting evaluated for adult ADHD & Aspergers. Many who get fired repeatedly have underlying issues like this but don't get them resolved until they are in their 30's or later where at that age you are unemployable if you don't have a good work history.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:53 PM

18,868 posts, read 15,987,943 times
You sound like my cousin, he had a great career in the Army, as a military police officer. He is "Barney Fife" to a T. He strictly enforces all rules. He is now a TSA supervisor.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:17 AM

83 posts, read 133,833 times
Maybe you need to stop working for these low-skill jobs and find something where your attention to detail would be appreciated.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:24 AM

50,242 posts, read 47,554,186 times
u may have a mental disorder (not crazy just a disorder) see a doctor.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:52 AM

402 posts, read 543,394 times
It sounds like you have trouble fitting in with the culture at these places.

I'm naturally shy and have let me shyness take over me in a few past jobs. In some instances it came across as being a douche who didn't care to talk to people and was unconfident. In reality I was just shy and afraid to screw up. It opened the doors for people to tease me because I was the quiet new guy.

I learned that being shy in the workplace is detrimental to building a career. These days I make more of an effort to engage in small talk with coworkers and look confident like I know I can do my job. Just getting along with people and adjusting your body language can go a LONG way in the work place.

Also you should look for better jobs.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:47 AM

755 posts, read 682,427 times
Yes! Bolding mine. I've had some issues similar to yours although I've never been fired. My perfectionism just caused me to spend a lot more time working on my own time. I've been diagnosed with both ADHD and OCD. Treatment for these is very possible.

There is hope and you are very young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
Its OK that you are only 22. Try getting evaluated for adult ADHD & Aspergers. Many who get fired repeatedly have underlying issues like this but don't get them resolved until they are in their 30's or later where at that age you are unemployable if you don't have a good work history.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:33 AM

22,482 posts, read 27,048,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
But I havent done anything to get fired.
Well of course you have and you've even cited a couple of examples. But the main thing you haven't done is find out why, at age 22, you've lost 30+ jobs in seven years. By the time you lost 10 you should have had a bit of a clue that things weren't quite right.

No more humming and hawing and bleating. Get yourself off for a basic medical evaluation now and go from there. If you don't have health insurance or the financial resources otherwise, check out what local or state funded options are available to you.

I strongly disagree with the posters who tell you to look for different sorts of jobs. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment