Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2011, 02:48 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,139,153 times

Advertisements

Having give references for a job from my previous employer for a job offer.

Is it reasonable for them to ask for References going back 6, or 7 years back to previous employers - when many of the people have moved on to other companies, plus there is added difficulty of getting their contact details - and perhaps they were at a distance from you, not directly involved or jobs with strained relationships.

Plus they seem to be lowering the salary as I get closer to the job offer - not asking for the world just a market rate and enough for reasonable lifestyle - I have told them they can add more to the job spec and make the best use of me as possible.

it just seems many employer can be so demanding, for lowish salaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 02:52 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
I think it would be reasonable to validate employment, references not so much. Can you tell them you no longer have any valid contact information for people that far back?

Old 11-11-2011, 03:23 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
I've had to do that and I just tell them that I simply can't remember people's names going back that far but I can give them the phone number for HR and they can figure it out from there. Never had a problem with that (so far).

Re the salary: Maybe ask them about benefits. Hopefully they're really good so that will make up the difference?

It is really amazing what companies check on these days though. I had to recently provide a copy of my undergraduate transcript! From 20+ years ago ! In another country!

Old 11-11-2011, 04:58 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
It is not unheard of for people to simply fabricate their employment and educational history. Some companies spend more effort than others confirming things.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
We do verify everything and any one that cannot be confirmed is the kiss of death for that applicant. When I started here I gave references that I worked with 17 years before and they were the only two people still there, the others had all retired. They remembered me and gave great reviews, as did the two more recent references. If there is no one still there say so, and give the HR phone number, don't make anything up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search