Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 07:20 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
We will never know, but sometimes it can be.

A long time ago I was laid off (fired?) from a managerial position only to be replaced by another employee. That guy was slated with the task of telling me to hit the bricks. My employer never spoke with me about this. He was conveniently absent for several weeks. Funny thing, that guy managed to steal tens of thousands of dollars from the company before he disappeared.

(S)he who laughs last, laughs best.

"I'm completely hazy"

Not good.
Look, it cannot be just this one thing. I do agree "sometimes", it can but cases like that are so rare that it becomes statistically insignificant.

If you must know, human are NOT impulsive. We are shocked by impulsive actions only because we ignore the telltale signs. Firing someone is, in most regular joe's life, the second worst experience next to getting fired. Bringing yourself up to fire someone is very very hard.

When you are hired, the employer want you to succeed. they may not know how but they do want you to succeed because if you fail, not only they have to let you go, they also have to find someone else.

So when you are getting fired, it is accumulation of mismanagement of yourself. Hardly ever it's because of this one thing - well, it may be the last straw but look at the camel who has a ton on the back.

Don't miss the ton and don't focus on the last straw!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 06:41 AM

1 posts, read 897 times
I got fired from my internship in radio. It really was my fault on why basically I broke my contract with the station. I posted on Facebook I was mad and went on a rant but it had nothing to do with the station I was interning on. However due to not phrasing in the right way and not putting some words in that maybe I should have it looked like I was talking about the show. I only interned there for about 2 months and a half. Only messed up 2 times while being there one I messed up a bit we were going to do which intern messed up the whole week of bits we had planned but we worked around it. Then 2 my editing was not up to speed I was still new to that never edited audio before nor had I ever used the software they were using. Well they wanted me to be just a good and quick at it as there other intern who might I add had been there for almost a year now and had prior experience. I can't believe the one post messed it all up for me my advice to anyone on here ether set you Facebook page to privet and don't add your boss, co-workers, or fans of the show you work on or just be careful on what you post on Facebook it will come back and bite you in the ass.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:29 PM

874 posts, read 1,659,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
So when you are getting fired, it is accumulation of mismanagement of yourself.
I disagree with this statement. Sometimes, management doesn't know what it's doing or isn't communicating to you what it wants.

Quote:
Hardly ever it's because of this one thing - well, it may be the last straw but look at the camel who has a ton on the back.

I do agree that you need to be aware of how what you are doing on the job could be preceived and make sure you are looking at the big picture and not just that one incident.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:07 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,658,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

So when you are getting fired, it is accumulation of mismanagement of yourself. Hardly ever it's because of this one thing - well, it may be the last straw but look at the camel who has a ton on the back.

Big fat generalization. And incorrect.

If your management is good, and you (general you) are very poor at self assessment, or an ostrich, then lifexplorer's truisms may be correct.

But there are bosses with hot tempers, who do things because they have no self control.

There are cases where the boss' boss is angry, a scapegoat is needed, and someone is going to be it. Someone who has not heaped up a ton of "mismanagement," but rather has few friends in the organization to go to bat for them (such as an intern!)

There are personal mismatches, where an employee and a manager don't mesh. There may be nothing someone can do to prevent boss lady from deciding she doesn't want to deal with your irritating-to-her personality.

Finally, there are times when someone really does do just one thing that causes a big problem, bigger than their perceived contribution.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:31 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,719 times
Well the plus side is that it was an internship. You can completely wipe the experience of of your resume and reference list.

I've only been fired twice (and laid off two other times). The first time I was fired, I cried. I'm an over-achiever...so it was devastating at the time. However looking back, it was really a blessing. The owner of the company that I worked for made his money scamming unemployed people. My job was to schedule them for appointments while telling them as little information as possible (he was posting job ads in the help wanted section of the paper; only to try to sell them Microsoft certification classes as a "condition" of employment). One time a woman called and said she was driving from 40 miles away. She would need to know approximately how long the interview would take so that she would know what to tell her babysitter. She also admitted that this was her first call for an interview in weeks. Knowing that there was no job for her, I told her straight out on the phone not to come. A supervisor overheard me, and I was told to pack my things and go!

The second time I was fired, I was hired for a position and when I started, I had no computer, no phone and no office. My boss was remodeling and said I could use his office until mine could be outfitted. The problem with that is that he was coming in every hour, asking me to step out while he conducted meetings and private phone calls. In the meantime, I would have to sit in the reception area. My first paycheck was late, and after I got it in my hands (5 days later) I asked if I could sit down and meet with him. I was all prepared to present my grievances, and then told me he had to leave early and that we would meet the next day. I got home to a message on my home voicemail from him that basically said I wasn't working out and that there was no need to come in at all. I was furious...in that he chickened out...couldn't even face me and talk to me like an adult! Most unprofessional person ever. Good riddance to that!

What I learned in all my years working, is just because someone is a manager or your boss; does not mean that they always do the right things and they definitely do not usually have your best interests in mind. Unfortunately, when you have incompetent managers, they tend to find scapegoats because it saves them from looking like the imbeciles they are. The last boss that fired me...I found out that he had at least 14 other people in my position (I was the bookkeeper) since he opened. And the company was less than 3 years old! Insane. That's when you realize that just because someone fires you, it does not mean you are in the wrong.

The best thing to do is to put it behind you and move on. Don't get bogged down with the past. Recognize what you did wrong...what they did wrong...learn...then move on. It's really the best thing to do.

Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment