U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 08:30 PM

5 posts, read 12,762 times
Default Fired for the first time...from an internship...

Exactly how do I get over this?

I was just fired from my internship site and I'm shocked. I moved out to California recently to complete an internship in film/marketing.

I have been giving this internship site my all. They have taught me a lot but there are also so many things I have wanted to do. Many of the marketing meetings and strategies they talk about were not discussed with me. I asked if I could be invited but I was shrugged off. (Did I overstep a boundary?)

Recently, my boss had asked me to mail an item for her. A poster we were supposed to send to a client. She gave me a mailing tube from her office and told me to mail the poster. I did.

A few days later she asks me, "What happened to the artwork that was within the tube?"

I'm completely hazy. I briefly recall there being items within the tube but I can't remember if I took them out or not. If I took them out then they would have been on my desk, they aren't. If I left them in the tube, that's just weird, but possible.

Well, all hell broke loose. This one little mistake caused my boss to fire me. I had put so much work into this internship, anything she asked from me I did. She had no idea how to use excel so I updated ALL of her spreadsheets. If she needed me to return items to the store? I did. If she needed me to scan pictures of her daughter's recital? I did. I was more of an assistant than anything else but I did my best...

Then I am fired? Just like that?

Has anyone had a bad experience like this? How do you get over giving a job 100% then simply being terminated?

I'd also like to add this was not a face-to-face termination. She had sent an email to my coordinator on a Thursday saying I was "not to come into the office on Monday". Which means as I left on Thursday, apologizing she was planning to axe me the entire time...

Unfair bosses, unfair firings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 08:26 AM

4,113 posts, read 2,167,650 times
Do you not have some sort of receipt from mailing it? If it is important, I like to do certified mail, that way, you know you are covering yourself.

Chalk it up to experience.... Good luck with the film career, I don't envy anyone trying to break into that industry.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:40 AM

4,793 posts, read 2,066,882 times
It can't just be this one thing, seriously.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:21 PM

6,726 posts, read 7,291,820 times
We will never know, but sometimes it can be.

A long time ago I was laid off (fired?) from a managerial position only to be replaced by another employee. That guy was slated with the task of telling me to hit the bricks. My employer never spoke with me about this. He was conveniently absent for several weeks. Funny thing, that guy managed to steal tens of thousands of dollars from the company before he disappeared.

(S)he who laughs last, laughs best.

"I'm completely hazy"

Not good.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:34 PM

5,071 posts, read 5,550,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klarion View Post

I was just fired from my internship site and I'm shocked. I moved out to California recently to complete an internship in film/marketing.

I have been giving this internship site my all. They have taught me a lot but there are also so many things I have wanted to do. Many of the marketing meetings and strategies they talk about were not discussed with me. I asked if I could be invited but I was shrugged off. (Did I overstep a boundary?)

Recently, my boss had asked me to mail an item for her. A poster we were supposed to send to a client. She gave me a mailing tube from her office and told me to mail the poster. I did.

A few days later she asks me, "What happened to the artwork that was within the tube?"

I'm completely hazy. I briefly recall there being items within the tube but I can't remember if I took them out or not. If I took them out then they would have been on my desk, they aren't. If I left them in the tube, that's just weird, but possible.

Well, all hell broke loose. This one little mistake caused my boss to fire me. I had put so much work into this internship, anything she asked from me I did. She had no idea how to use excel so I updated ALL of her spreadsheets. If she needed me to return items to the store? I did. If she needed me to scan pictures of her daughter's recital? I did. I was more of an assistant than anything else but I did my best...

Then I am fired? Just like that?

Has anyone had a bad experience like this? How do you get over giving a job 100% then simply being terminated?

I'd also like to add this was not a face-to-face termination. She had sent an email to my coordinator on a Thursday saying I was "not to come into the office on Monday". Which means as I left on Thursday, apologizing she was planning to axe me the entire time...

Unfair bosses, unfair firings?

Hey, look, if SHE gave you that tube, she was responsible for checking it first. Who put the artwork in it in the first place? Probably either she put it there, or someone else gave it to her that way. either way, it was in HER safekeeping, SHE was the one who messed up. she just wanted to get rid of you before you could make her look bad.

To be expected to check a mailing tube for contents before using it, when its given to you be someone else, well, that's like expecting you to check the toilet before flusing it to make sure someone didn't drop their keys, phone, etc in it.

Who was this internship through? Is there a director, etc? I would complain. Make sure your side is heard. don't be afraid to make waves when you've already been thrown overboard. You can bet this supervisor will give a very negative evaluation of you to your internship director. Basically, you're hosed right now. You can only go up by presenting your case. And remember, just because you're an intern doesn't mean you're someone's scapegoat. Stand up for yourself!

Old 11-14-2011, 10:44 PM

4,806 posts, read 10,883,273 times
All we can say for sure is, welcome to the world. There are a lot of unfair bosses, and a lot of terminations are for unfair reasons.

While this is a setback, it isn't the end of the world. In the big scheme of things, its a few weeks or months out of years of your working life. A drop in the bucket. Go out there and find a new internship. It's probably best to just leave this resume off your resume and start over fresh.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:41 AM

135 posts, read 258,304 times
Quote:
How do you get over giving a job 100% then simply being terminated?
I won't go into the details again (read my post 'fired with no prior warning') but I feel for you having been through the same thing. I went over and above what I was required to do and being fired for one mistake especially considering that other employees throughout the district had done far worse made it very difficult to not take it personally. I'm 45 years old and have never been fired.

The only way I can deal with it is to 'try' and not think about it...putting all of my energy into moving forward. I was initially denied unemployment...penalized for 3 months - and after careful consideration and have decided not to appeal - am going to wait until I can refile. Putting a defense together would require me to put too much energy and thought into what happened. Just makes me angry, hurt and depressed all over again...and to be honest it was a crappy job to begin with.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:27 PM

379 posts, read 321,454 times
Quote:
This link - Sad News - s a really good thread about grieving a job loss.

Quote:
I asked if I could be invited but I was shrugged off. (Did I overstep a boundary?)
No, it never hurts to ask. I don't think that contributed to it, if that's what you mean.

Quote:
she asks me, "What happened to the artwork that was within the tube?"
So, basically, it sounds like that was the only copy in existence or another one could have been sent, unless it was time sensitive. It would be something if the receiver misplaced the artwork.

Last edited by mash potato; 11-15-2011 at 06:55 PM..

Old 11-15-2011, 10:03 PM

5,071 posts, read 5,550,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash potato View Post
This link - Sad News - s a really good thread about grieving a job loss.

No, it never hurts to ask. I don't think that contributed to it, if that's what you mean.

So, basically, it sounds like that was the only copy in existence or another one could have been sent, unless it was time sensitive. It would be something if the receiver misplaced the artwork.

What BS! If it was so dang important, why wasn't there a copy? why was it carelessly misplaced by your supervisor, who then somehow blamed you?

Like everyone here has said, try to forget about it, but not before setting the record straight. If this is a university-sponsored internship, I'm sure there's a director of internships and you will deal with him in the future. if all he has to go on is the feedback he got from the internship, they could say any type of BS. Perhaps they didn't want to handle interns in the first place, perhaps it was a set up of sorts. Perhaps your supervisor didn't like having interns dumped on her, so, set you up to fail and lost an important item. Now they can say oh, interns aren't worth it, look what happened. You'd be amazed at the crap that's pulled in the name of office politics.

Of course, you can't claim your internship back, but don't let it blackball you from another position. State your case to your supervisor, I'm sure they stated a case against you!

Old 11-15-2011, 10:38 PM

4,806 posts, read 10,883,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
What BS! If it was so dang important, why wasn't there a copy? why was it carelessly misplaced by your supervisor, who then somehow blamed you?

Like everyone here has said, try to forget about it, but not before setting the record straight. If this is a university-sponsored internship, I'm sure there's a director of internships and you will deal with him in the future. if all he has to go on is the feedback he got from the internship, they could say any type of BS. Perhaps they didn't want to handle interns in the first place, perhaps it was a set up of sorts. Perhaps your supervisor didn't like having interns dumped on her, so, set you up to fail and lost an important item. Now they can say oh, interns aren't worth it, look what happened. You'd be amazed at the crap that's pulled in the name of office politics.

Of course, you can't claim your internship back, but don't let it blackball you from another position. State your case to your supervisor, I'm sure they stated a case against you!

S/he doesn't have a supervisor anymore, and after you've been fired, your ex-bosses tend to not be interested in hearing you plead your case. And there's no one else to plead to. Best thing to do is put it in the past and move forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment