U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 03:27 PM

341 posts, read 821,587 times
Question Taking time to think about job offer...

Hello! I had an interview about 3 weeks ago and I was told tat the interview that I will hear the answer within 1 week instead of 3.

Well, anyway I just got a telephone call from the executive assistant of the manger offering me the position. Here is what I said:

I am very excited about the opportunity. Thank you for the offer. I usually allow myself 24 hours for life decisions. Could I contact you tomorrow with the final answer?

It sounded like she was not excited about what I said and expected me to accept/reject on the spot.

Then I asked her if she could email me offer details. She said - we do not email offer details. You accept and come to our office and everything is given to you.

So, I will be giving them call tomorrow. I also sent thank you email to the manager just now.

What do you guys think? Did I say something wrong? Don't I have a right to think?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 03:46 PM

213 posts, read 366,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odessit771 View Post
Hello! I had an interview about 3 weeks ago and I was told tat the interview that I will hear the answer within 1 week instead of 3.

Well, anyway I just got a telephone call from the executive assistant of the manger offering me the position. Here is what I said:

I am very excited about the opportunity. Thank you for the offer. I usually allow myself 24 hours for life decisions. Could I contact you tomorrow with the final answer?

It sounded like she was not excited about what I said and expected me to accept/reject on the spot.

Then I asked her if she could email me offer details. She said - we do not email offer details. You accept and come to our office and everything is given to you.

So, I will be giving them call tomorrow. I also sent thank you email to the manager just now.

What do you guys think? Did I say something wrong? Don't I have a right to think?

Thanks!
I don't think that you said anything wrong. Most places will allow you at least SOME time to think the offer over. The one thing I would say is that if you don't currently have a job, then you should not have to think about it. You should say I accept right away or call back and accept the job sooner rather than later. If you have a job and you are trying to decide to leave your job and take the one offered then I think that you should be allowed at least a couple of days to decide.

As for them emailing you the offer. I don't know. That is kinda strange, but maybe that is just the way this company does things. Every offer I have received, the company has verbally told me over the phone...then emailed me the offer, and then most of the time they will mail me the offer.

All in all, go ahead and take the job. With the economy the way it is you probably will not find much better. Good luck!

Old 11-17-2011, 03:51 PM

17,580 posts, read 19,955,756 times
Interesting about not emailing the details. I honestly am not sure how it works at my current company since all that goes through HR. My last few jobs have been through head hunters and they always have the details in writing.

I certainly would never quit a job without having everything in writing from the new job.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:54 PM

341 posts, read 821,587 times
ok, thanks! well, I do currently have a job. But this is a LIFE DECISION and if they took 3 weeks to think (instead of 1), why cant I take 24 hours? Or I am missing something?

Old 11-17-2011, 03:56 PM

17,580 posts, read 19,955,756 times
Quote:
ok, thanks! well, I do currently have a job. But this is a LIFE DECISION and if they took 3 weeks to think (instead of 1), why cant I take 24 hours? Or I am missing something?
Is the offer something different that you were expecting? I'm not saying you shouldn't get some time to think about it. But haven't you been thinking about it for the last three weeks?

Old 11-17-2011, 04:01 PM

213 posts, read 366,391 times
Quote:
I think taking 24 hours is fine. If the person that you spoke to said it would be OK to take some to think it over then....no worries.

Yea, and if they took 3 weeks to get back to ya then you should get a day to think it over.

I was in a similar position about a month ago. I interviewed with this one company about 6 to 7 weeks ago and they called me up out of the blue recently and offered me the job. I thought that I was no longer being considered for the job or that they filled the job, but they called me back 7 weeks later. They said that I would know in 2 weeks.

Most companies don't get back to you when they say they will. At least in my experience.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:12 PM

5,190 posts, read 2,376,692 times
Most places will send you the offer letter where it details out the offer and a deadline for you to accept.

Since they force you to accept, then just accept. Once you get the offer, you can still turn it down. :-)

Old 11-17-2011, 04:47 PM

832 posts, read 1,120,017 times
Are you serious, do you know the times we're living in? I wouldn't be surprised if you get passed over now.
What is there to think about? You should have known after the interview if you wanted it or not.

Unreal.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:07 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,649,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Is the offer something different that you were expecting? I'm not saying you shouldn't get some time to think about it. But haven't you been thinking about it for the last three weeks?
I agree. You basically had three weeks to think about what would happen if you were offered the job. I think taking 24 hours to think about it wasn't asking too much, but if your boss sounded kinda ticked off by your answer, she might be looking at other candidates. You won't know until you call her back tomorrow and let her know of your answer.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:12 PM

7,825 posts, read 8,187,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
Are you serious, do you know the times we're living in? I wouldn't be surprised if you get passed over now.
What is there to think about? You should have known after the interview if you wanted it or not.

Unreal.

Are you serious? The OP is employed. If the OP had been laid off for 15 months and had nothing else on the horizon then yes you would be right.

But they're employed now. So there is somehing to think over.

Is is a good move? It is a longer commute? Does the new company seem stable vs. the current company?

Nothing wrong at all with asking for a day to think it over.

Totally real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment