Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 08:09 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,623,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Everybody says networking is the way to get a job, I have my doubts. I believe any opening will be posted on the job boards inviting the hordes of applicants.
No doubt.

In my case the job had been posted for just over a month. I contacted my former VP last week about it. I spoke to him for about an hour. I told him I would apply and interview-- he said, "let's be frank, I know you-- I don't need to interview you. You have the job if you want it. We can meet next week so I can show you around- and then you can make a decision."

He had about 3 people he was going to interview-- but he will not be contacting them unless I tell him I do not want the job.

THAT is how networking works. You continue to keep up with your former management, colleagues, friends, etc. A job may be posted, but in many cases you can jump right to the front of the line if you have proven yourself in the past and continue to keep up your network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 09:48 AM

19,045 posts, read 25,115,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
I’ve read all the posts, and all the replies are quite enlightening.

Can you tell whether a person’s intentions are aimed at building a real friendship, or it’s just networking they are doing?
Friendships can develop from professional relationships and vice versa. Although, I've never asked myself this question. If you can't tell the difference between budding friendships and making professional contacts then I'm not sure what to tell you. I don't know if social acuity can be developed. It might be something you should investigate.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
THAT is how networking works. You continue to keep up with your former management, colleagues, friends, etc. A job may be posted, but in many cases you can jump right to the front of the line if you have proven yourself in the past and continue to keep up your network.
So, according to 20yrs assessment my husband must be using me since I'm probably the most important professional contact he has. I already got him one job and I'm now trying to get him in at my current company. I feel so used.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:57 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,791,200 times
Quote:
Everybody says networking is the way to get a job, I have my doubts. I believe any opening will be posted on the job boards inviting the hordes of applicants.
The positions posted on job boards are usually fake openings. Not sure why you don't know that.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:28 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,440,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
The positions posted on job boards are usually fake openings. Not sure why you don't know that.
That is incorrect. Some are. There are loads of links about fake job ads one can find on a google but here's one which is a good place to start. Not only does it list the reasons why some of these ads are placed but also gives good pointers on how to spot them and how to respond to them if in doubt:

How To Recognize Fake Job Ads | reCareered.com

Not sure why you don't know that in your capacity as a professional "employment counselor".

Old 11-26-2011, 11:32 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,791,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
That is incorrect. Some are. There are loads of links about fake job ads one can find on a google but here's one which is a good place to start. Not only does it list the reasons why some of these ads are placed but also gives good pointers on how to spot them and how to respond to them if in doubt:

How To Recognize Fake Job Ads | reCareered.com

Not sure why you don't know that in your capacity as a professional "employment counselor".
Most companies don't have to post an ad for openings which supports the reason it's fake most of the time. I just saw an ad for Fox29 looking for a production assistant and you are going to tell me they have to search on the outside to fill that position????????????

Old 11-26-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Most companies don't have to post an ad for openings which supports the reason it's fake most of the time. I just saw an ad for Fox29 looking for a production assistant and you are going to tell me they have to search on the outside to fill that position????????????
Maybe before you jump in with daft comments, it would behoove you to read not only the article I linked but a few others so that you have a better understanding of the reality. You might even learn something.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
As the article notes, general ads are more likely to be fake and pretty easy to spot. If an individual does not have a specific skill set s/he will probably run into more fake ads that others since the job search itself is general.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:30 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,798,946 times
Quote:
I know some are so search firms can pad their resume file. But there are some actual openings posted.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I know some are so search firms can pad their resume file. But there are some actual openings posted.
Did you read the linked article?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment