Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 09:03 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,396,801 times

Advertisements

Yes, go and work the crowd! I go to every dinner party, department party, company summer/xmas party, and such. This is the one opporunity, in which, you can make a one-on-one contact with those from other cities, high-ups, spouses and such. Keep the drinking very light, generic coversations and do not occupy one's space for too long. The object is to work the room. There are co-workers who don't attend parties, trust me, this is frowned down upon. Since the company is paying, all employees "MUST" attend, unless you give your boss good reason beforehand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 07:51 AM

88,508 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Yes, go, and love it. My rule is, don't drink. People who don't go and participate in these types of events are shooting themselves in the foot.

There was a guy I worked with, he made an issue of the Holiday party being during business hours, so, just because of his complaints, it was after hours, he did not come, he was working on his MPA, and applied for a level up job..he was highly skilled, and probably over qualified for the job...they hired someone from outside! Smack down! I think it was because he never came to social events.
Yes, everyone knows who the people are who never come to the holiday party. Some don't come because they just can't afford it (we each pay for our party) but I'm talking about mid-to-upper-management people.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:06 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,487,358 times
On a totally related note, we all got an e-mail from the manager boss lady today about the Christmas Party, with the verbiage, and I quote: "it is a great networking opportunity." Interesting.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:03 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,599,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Yes, go, and love it. My rule is, don't drink. People who don't go and participate in these types of events are shooting themselves in the foot.
The idea of feeling pressured to attend a work social event due to office politics is really bothersome to me. I've been working at a company for 6 years, and never had to deal with office parties until about a year ago when I was promoted to a new position and department. I'm not in management, have no desire to be in management, I'm not looking to get a raise or another promotion, and we don't have lay offs. Not to mention that we frequently have activities/luncheons onsite (my department is having one this week), so I don't see why I really need to attend the holiday party at a restaurant that we're having next week (we have to pay for our own food, btw). I understand that it's nice to attend some social events, be involved, and that networking can be good for your career, but in my specific case, I just don't want to feel like not going to these events is such a huge deal. It should be a personal choice and not an unspoken requirement.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:01 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
On a totally related note, we all got an e-mail from the manager boss lady today about the Christmas Party, with the verbiage, and I quote: "it is a great networking opportunity." Interesting.
It's supposed to be a holiday party for people to kick back and relax but even under those conditions the manager just had to point out that it's an opportunity to "work" the crowd rather than a time to enjoy some holiday cheer and appreciation from the company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment