U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 11:04 PM

127 posts, read 96,052 times

Advertisements

Why do you think a lot of your peers (and possibly yourself), or society in general feel unfulfilled with their lives?

Just curious to see what your observations are. Are there anything they can do to change how things are?

*I'm also a 20-yr-old college sophomore, so I'll really really be attentive to what you say! (so that hopefully I'll be able to learn something too)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 11:07 PM

It would also be helpful if we could all converge on what we all mean by describing someone as "unfulfilled"...

Old 11-21-2011, 11:09 PM

17,579 posts, read 21,205,110 times
I don't think a lot of my peers are unfilled with their lives.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:11 PM

Thanks, manderly. I was hoping this was so lol. Do you want to expand on that?

Old 11-21-2011, 11:17 PM

17,579 posts, read 21,205,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring_natural View Post
Thanks, manderly. I was hoping this was so lol. Do you want to expand on that?
Not sure what more you are looking for. Most people I know seem generally happy. And if they aren't they hide it well I guess.

Keep in mind I'm not sure most people would let on their level of "fulfillment" to their peers.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:30 AM

1,365 posts, read 542,222 times
Man, I see in Fight Club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see it squandered. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy **** we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars, but we won't. We're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off. BY Chuck Palahniuk.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:14 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,204,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring_natural View Post
Why do you think a lot of your peers (and possibly yourself), or society in general feel unfulfilled with their lives?

Just curious to see what your observations are. Are there anything they can do to change how things are?

*I'm also a 20-yr-old college sophomore, so I'll really really be attentive to what you say! (so that hopefully I'll be able to learn something too)
Unrealistic high expectations from helicopter parents. That's it in a nutshell.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:35 AM

16,848 posts, read 16,700,204 times
What age group are you asking about?

Old 11-22-2011, 09:01 AM

977 posts, read 784,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Not sure what more you are looking for. Most people I know seem generally happy. And if they aren't they hide it well I guess.
Yeah, most people are generally happy, but that is not close to the same thing as being fulfilled.

I think people are unfullfilled b/c we all realize most of the work and stuff we do is meaningless other than to keep ourselves eating and surviving. Most people wouldn't do what they do employment-wise if it weren't for the money. There is something somewhat demoralizing about waking up at 6-6:30AM every weekday, commuting 0.5-1 hours each way, and working 8-10 hours.

So, people are happy as long as they have a paycheck, but higher order fulfillment is missing.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:06 AM

6,888 posts, read 10,165,596 times
I might have felt unfulfilled at age 20; there were lots of spaces and time ahead. Now at age 62 I don't feel at all unfulfilled and don't believe my friends do either. Making ethical choices, finding your passions, doing what you must do to keep your finances afloat and insisting on finding the joyful aspects of your work, and recognizing that one can find quality people to include in your life along the journey pays off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment