Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 12:08 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,333,785 times

Advertisements

This is a question that I'm struggling with. I am in a career that I love and I really enjoy working with the clients. However, I think my boss might expect too much from me. I was brought up with the values that a person should give themselves 110% at their job and work as hard as they can, which I feel I do. My question is, how much is too much?

Another thing that's troubling to me, I feel (as does another coworker) that we're micromanaged to death. As I have license to practice my work and my clients are my responsibility, I feel as tho I should have some autonomy at work and I don't feel that I always do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 01:57 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
This is a question that I'm struggling with. I am in a career that I love and I really enjoy working with the clients. However, I think my boss might expect too much from me. I was brought up with the values that a person should give themselves 110% at their job and work as hard as they can, which I feel I do. My question is, how much is too much?

Another thing that's troubling to me, I feel (as does another coworker) that we're micromanaged to death. As I have license to practice my work and my clients are my responsibility, I feel as tho I should have some autonomy at work and I don't feel that I always do.

Being micromanaged would be annoying, but it is not "being taken advantage of".

You seem to gloss over how you feel you have been taken advantage of.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:42 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,906 times
Quote:

well, i completely understand. I have often been taken advantage of by employers who expect you to do things that you do, when it's well above and beyond what most others are doing, and you don't even get any credit for it.

Also, like you i NEED a position where i am NOT micro managed, unfortunately i don't have one right now.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:04 AM

372 posts, read 521,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
I have often been taken advantage of by employers who expect you to do things that you do, when it's well above and beyond what most others are doing, and you don't even get any credit for it.
Nine to five
What a way to make a livin'
Barely gettin' by
It's all takin' and no givin'
They just use you mind
And they never give you credit
It's enough to drive you
Crazy if you let it

"9 to 5" by Dolly Parton

One of the best songs ever written. So true.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:47 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
. My question is, how much is too much?
That is up to the individual to decide. There is no stock answer.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:00 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,905,304 times
It's 'working hard' if the benefits you receive (recognition, career advancement, year-end bonus, etc) is roughly equivalent to the benefits they receive from your work product, knowledge, and experience.

It's 'taking advantage' if the benefits you receive are disproportionate to the benefits they receive.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:22 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,844,539 times
Anytime you are a "hard worker" for someone else (i.e. you aren't working hard for your own business).

Old 11-24-2011, 06:26 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times
My husband job imo takes advantage..

No holiday pay yet he's scheduled EVERY holiday every year (he hasnt had a Christmas , Thanksgiving or New Years off in 6 years)

Company policy says you cannot put in for vacation time from the months of Nov-Jan.

He left for a year to go to a new dept, it didn't work out so he came back (it was actually 11 months) they dropped his pay $5 and put him at dispatcher 1 (thats starting dispatcher) even tho he had been there 6 years prior and was a senior dispatcher prior to the year stint..

No pay raises in 5 years or living adjustment raises however they have started taking more for insurance and make him now contribute 10% of his check to retirement (I know thats normal for most people but it was not for his line of work till recently) ...

They also promised to put him on road patrol (he was a certified cop) within a year of him moving back. 4 years later his cert ran out because they refused to pay him to get it recerted nor would they approve his time off to travel to where the test had to be taken. They DID however pay for the entire police academy and equipt. for head of the Swat Teams son even tho they were NOT hiring cops. My husbands cert would have taken $300 that we offered to pay for, his schooling cost the company 9 grand..

That my friend is what you call being taken advantage of.. Oh did I mention my husand hasn't missed a day of work there in 6 years (other than the 3 days for the birth of his daughter which imo doesn't really count)

Old 11-24-2011, 07:11 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
My husband job imo takes advantage..

No holiday pay yet he's scheduled EVERY holiday every year (he hasnt had a Christmas , Thanksgiving or New Years off in 6 years)

Company policy says you cannot put in for vacation time from the months of Nov-Jan.

He left for a year to go to a new dept, it didn't work out so he came back (it was actually 11 months) they dropped his pay $5 and put him at dispatcher 1 (thats starting dispatcher) even tho he had been there 6 years prior and was a senior dispatcher prior to the year stint..

No pay raises in 5 years or living adjustment raises however they have started taking more for insurance and make him now contribute 10% of his check to retirement (I know thats normal for most people but it was not for his line of work till recently) ...

They also promised to put him on road patrol (he was a certified cop) within a year of him moving back. 4 years later his cert ran out because they refused to pay him to get it recerted nor would they approve his time off to travel to where the test had to be taken. They DID however pay for the entire police academy and equipt. for head of the Swat Teams son even tho they were NOT hiring cops. My husbands cert would have taken $300 that we offered to pay for, his schooling cost the company 9 grand..

That my friend is what you call being taken advantage of.. Oh did I mention my husand hasn't missed a day of work there in 6 years (other than the 3 days for the birth of his daughter which imo doesn't really count)

Once in a while I will see jobs for a police officer or a police dispatcher in the local paper. The job description always reads that holiday and weekends are required because it's a civil servant job, although I am surprised that he does not receive holiday pay.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:21 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
Once in a while I will see jobs for a police officer or a police dispatcher in the local paper. The job description always reads that holiday and weekends are required because it's a civil servant job, although I am surprised that he does not receive holiday pay.
Right they're motto or whatever is crime doesn't take a holiday and neither do we.. whatever they still have families but yah no holiday pay for any holidays. They also only give vacation according to seniority which is normal in places however there is a "book' passed around from highest to lowest and u can pen in ur time u want to take .. Because there has been a hiring freeze for the past 4 years no on has gone up in seniority.. therefore the same 15 people or so are the only ones getting vacation times approved. My husbands been there almost 10 years and currently only has about 4 people under him that were hired shortly before the freeze took place yet people who started after him before we left are higher in seniority because they took his away with the 11 month out of town stint. It makes no sense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment