Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 08:32 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
You shouldn't take the elevator anyway.

Elevators cause obesity.
LOL. I used to work on the 82nd and then 72nd floors. It would have taken me all day to get up the stairs to work! Plus, I was a smoker then and probably would have collapsed somewhere along the way.

When I worked on 51, though, my boss did walk up the stairs every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 08:59 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Hospital: Smokers need not apply - CNN.com

(CNN) -- A Pennsylvania hospital is expected to begin screening job applicants for signs of nicotine early next year, claiming it will not hire smokers, a hospital spokeswoman said Friday.
I live right across the street from a big hospital here in Louisville and it does not give a good impression when you see people in scrubs lighting it up every time you drive by.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I live right across the street from a big hospital here in Louisville and it does not give a good impression when you see people in scrubs lighting it up every time you drive by.
It's amazing how times change. 30 years ago patients could smoke in their hospital rooms.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:47 AM

399 posts, read 854,887 times
And 30 years ago people could smoke on planes after takeoff. Smoking is legal and the addiction problem still dates back many years to when it was commonplace among households. Perhaps the future will bring change but it will be slow. It is a burden on our health system and hopefully new inventions will help people who need a bigger incentive to quit for good.

Last edited by halfabuck; 12-31-2011 at 10:51 AM..

Old 12-31-2011, 09:54 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,211,007 times
Many companies here have chosen NOT to allow smokers to smoke at any time during the workday. Completely smoke free facilities are becoming very common. Frankly I think it is their right to set rules regarding conduct on their property. Some have gone so far as forbidding smoking by any employee 24/7. I don't smoke, but I don't think companies should have the right to tell people what they can or can not do when not working - as long as it's legal.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfabuck View Post
And 30 years ago people could smoke on planes after takeoff. Smoking is legal and the addiction problem still dates back many years to when it was commonplace among househods. Perhaps the future will bring change but it will be slow. It is a burden on our health system and hopefully new inventions will help people who need a bigger incentive to quit for good.
I remember when they first banned smoking on planes (at first it was flights that were fewer than X amount of hours, now it is all flights) I panicked, thinking "how the hell can you be on a plane and NOT SMOKE??? You are in a risk-of-death situation and they won't let you smoke????"

And at that time, most of my flights were to Florida, which is only about 2 and 1/2 hours, lol.

I've since flown further than that without having a cigarette, and now I've quit smoking completely, so flying wouldn't be an issue at all.

Banning smoking certainly does help a person cut down, no doubt.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:56 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
Many companies here have chosen NOT to allow smokers to smoke at any time during the workday. Completely smoke free facilities are becoming very common. Frankly I think it is their right to set rules regarding conduct on their property. Some have gone so far as forbidding smoking by any employee 24/7. I don't smoke, but I don't think companies should have the right to tell people what they can or can not do when not working - as long as it's legal.
What is the difference between forbidding a tobacco addict from smoking and an alcoholic from drinking during the day? NONE.

I also believe that these fatties who sit and eat at their desk should be banned from doing that. Eat in a breakroom during your breaks and during lunch. No food at the desk period.

You live with the choices you make in life. You can quit smoking anytime.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:41 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Quote:
You shouldn't take the elevator anyway.

Elevators cause obesity
LOL. I used to work on the 82nd and then 72nd floors.
It would have taken me all day to get up the stairs to work!
I've never worked that high. I once had a 7th floor job and never used the elevator though.

I remember when I was in college and saw an elevator that only had two stops; 1st floor and 2nd floor.
To this day it haunts me. The elevator was full and the last person that wanted to use it was confined to
a weelchair. The second-to-the-last-guy on turned around and jokingly said something about waiting for
the next elevator to go up. It made me sick and I should have just gone up and started pulling people off.

Working in 2-4 story office buildings, I noticed that in the stairways, most of the people were fit.
As I passed the elevators, most of the people waiting for the lift were not fit.

Therefore in my scientific opinion there is a strong causality between riding the lift and getting fat.

Don't do it. It isn't worth it. Save yourself. Take the stairs and avoid stares.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:54 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
Do you think employers would not hire someone if they knew he or she smoked?
I bet on average most smokers 5-6 hrs or work each day with all their smoke breaks and other breaks combined.
I've often wondered why this discrimination hasn't been challenged in court somewhere.

Business can control smoking in their property but have no rights when it comes to employees off times.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I've never worked that high. I once had a 7th floor job and never used the elevator though.

I remember when I was in college and saw an elevator that only had two stops; 1st floor and 2nd floor.
To this day it haunts me. The elevator was full and the last person that wanted to use it was confined to
a weelchair. The second-to-the-last-guy on turned around and jokingly said something about waiting for
the next elevator to go up. It made me sick and I should have just gone up and started pulling people off.

Working in 2-4 story office buildings, I noticed that in the stairways, most of the people were fit.
As I passed the elevators, most of the people waiting for the lift were not fit.

Therefore in my scientific opinion there is a strong causality between riding the lift and getting fat.

Don't do it. It isn't worth it. Save yourself. Take the stairs and avoid stares.
I work on the 3rd floor now. I take the stairs up. That's an interesting observation, though. I'm going to look for that at my building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment