Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 09:19 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Hospital: Smokers need not apply - CNN.com

(CNN) -- A Pennsylvania hospital is expected to begin screening job applicants for signs of nicotine early next year, claiming it will not hire smokers, a hospital spokeswoman said Friday.
I live in Pennsylvania. I'll elaborate. This hospital drug tests. That means you can't be on the patch or nicotine gum or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 09:22 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Good luck to them finding nurses.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:42 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Pennsylvania has an abundance of nurses. No shortages here.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:05 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,974,571 times
I've come across ads that specially stated if you are a smoker do not apply and I don't see a issue with it. Grant it I am not a smoker however I've worked with people who smoke and every time you turned around, they were away from their desk on a "smoke break" when they were needed. Then they rush back to their desk smelling like a pound of nicotine which greatly aggravates allergies and the smell stinks period. For every responsible smoker there are 20 who are not and I don't blame a employer for not wanting to deal with it as there are others who will be effected by it. If I can't drink a glass of wine while working then smokers don't need their cigs. Your habits/additions are your responsibility and no one else has to adhere to them.

Last edited by Shysister; 01-15-2012 at 11:07 PM..

Old 01-17-2012, 07:55 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
It's just a matter of time before smoking is illegal. In reality it isn't as much due to health issues but more the fact people don't like the smell. Catching a whiff of smoke when walking out to your car isn't going to hurt you.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:05 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
No, what will happen and it's already starting to is that people will realize that tobacco isn't the problem; it's the chemicals that end up in manufactured cigarettes that are most harmful. Can you really see cigars and pipe smoking being illegal? I can't!

Old 01-17-2012, 08:12 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Nor should they be allowed to. If employers are allowed to discriminate against smokers, then they should also be allowed to discriminate against other types of people, such as the obese (another health-related issue) or the ugly (who wants to look at ugly people at work all day?).
Absolutely!

Old 01-17-2012, 08:39 AM

650 posts, read 1,811,528 times
Smoking at work is always a gray area. My last company, there were a lot of smokers. Some were heavy smokers so they would be outside smoking very frequently. There was no policy against it and the boss would never say anything due to the discriminatory factor. Was sort of unfair to non-smokers who could not just stand outside for 10 minutes without looking like we're slacking. Almost makes me want to take up smoking just to get more breaks.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:31 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I remember when they first banned smoking on planes (at first it was flights that were fewer than X amount of hours, now it is all flights) I panicked, thinking "how the hell can you be on a plane and NOT SMOKE??? You are in a risk-of-death situation and they won't let you smoke????"

And at that time, most of my flights were to Florida, which is only about 2 and 1/2 hours, lol.

I've since flown further than that without having a cigarette, and now I've quit smoking completely, so flying wouldn't be an issue at all.

Banning smoking certainly does help a person cut down, no doubt.
Many brand new planes still come with ash trays and you have to take them out and buy a cover for them. They also still require placards above the trash bins that say 'don't dispose of cigarettes and ashes in this receptacle'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
Smoking at work is always a gray area. My last company, there were a lot of smokers. Some were heavy smokers so they would be outside smoking very frequently. There was no policy against it and the boss would never say anything due to the discriminatory factor. Was sort of unfair to non-smokers who could not just stand outside for 10 minutes without looking like we're slacking. Almost makes me want to take up smoking just to get more breaks.
That's exactly how I took up smoking. We had to go outside to take our breaks and you were seen as a slacker if you were just standing and chatting. So, I started smoking and nobody bothered me again.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:33 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,419,563 times
The smokers in my building often disregard the rules..They have designated areas but some like to stand in front of the door and force you to walk by into a cloud of smoke.
I personally dont want to smell like it or have to breath it in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment