Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 07:37 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,053,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Outsourcing is a great contributor to the job market IN INDIA, in many cases. It's called Offshoring. The in-house folks that did the job in the USA get canned(most of them, sometimes all), and the whole process gets Offshored to India.
Outsourcing is a job creator in the USA as well. You can't honestly tell me that you or someone you know doesn't outsource. It seems to be portrayed as a bad thing by the OP and you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 08:42 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,657,098 times
Without outsourcing the American companies would collapse and the government will have to bail everybody out.

I am a balance sheet geek of every tech company out there. They are continuing to run astronomically high debts and liabilities. Don't ask me how they accumulated it. It's just the way it is.

And without outsourcing, they will go under, and you folks will have to bail everybody out. Let's face it, not every company is Apple

There's no other go but to put up with these call centres. They are here to stay, whether you like it or not. Pick up Best Buy's black friday items and be thankful you're not bailing them out

I attempted to research debts of companies:
Most of them gambled too much and took too many things for granted and the dotcom bubble happened. It's been 11 years since, and outsourcing was born only becoz these gamblers didn't hedge their bets and suddenly found themselves neck deep in debt. As someone once put it, project management became impossible onshore. 11 years on, the dotcom bubble's ghost still hovers over many tech firms. And thanks to outsourcing, they survived.

Necessity is the mother of invention. They were pushed into a corner. They invented a new technique. And all they care about is their quarterly statement. Not you, not me, nor the consumers.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:49 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,657,098 times
20 to 30 years later, these jobs are coming back here.

Three reasons:
1. Middle class in outsourcing countries is soaring. They won't be cheap anymore.
2. Middle class in the West is adjusting to the new reality of depressed income and lifestyle and salaries will stabilize.
3. Developing economies will delve deeper into debt as they run up on real estate, automobile and education loans and mortgages.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:11 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,214,893 times
Because people keep buying what they are selling and the gov will not establish game changing tarrifs.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Because people keep buying what they are selling and the gov will not establish game changing tarrifs.
I bet that you outsource. There's nothing wrong with it.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:18 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,214,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I bet that you outsource. There's nothing wrong with it.
I bet that I dont, I take maticulus care to buy everything either in the USA, germany, Japan or Canada. When people refer to "outsourcing" they are refering to labor rates that are substantially lower than here (china, south east asia, etc). Its not the "outsourcing" thats the issue its the wage deflation. There are a hand full of things I cant get around buying in china but its a minority of the stuff I buy and usually less significant lower ticket items but again its minimal.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
I bet that I dont, I take maticulus care to buy everything either in the USA, germany, Japan or Canada. When people refer to "outsourcing" they are refering to labor rates that are substantially lower than here (china, south east asia, etc). Its not the "outsourcing" thats the issue its the wage deflation. There are a hand full of things I cant get around buying in china but its a minority of the stuff I buy and usually less significant lower ticket items but again its minimal.
When people refer to "outsourcing", why would they not refer to "outsourcing"? Let's not play games and try to change the definition of the word to meet your needs. The use of labor offshore is off-shoring. Sure, off-shoring is a form of outsourcing in many cases, but is encompasses only a small fraction of outsourcing in the USA.

Do you do your own plumbing, your own electrical work? Do you ever use a mechanic? Do you have a barber or stylist? All outsourcing, my friend. Surely there is something that you hire someone else to do for you. You just lost your bet.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:02 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,369,503 times
Quote:
When people refer to "outsourcing", why would they not refer to "outsourcing"? Let's not play games and try to change the definition of the word to meet your needs. The use of labor offshore is off-shoring. Sure, off-shoring is a form of outsourcing in many cases, but is encompasses only a small fraction of outsourcing in the USA.

Do you do your own plumbing, your own electrical work? Do you ever use a mechanic? Do you have a barber or stylist? All outsourcing, my friend. Surely there is something that you hire someone else to do for you. You just lost your bet.
While you are right in the technical sort of things, I would say 99% of the population would say the word "outsource" is synonymous with outsourcing to Asia . In addition, outsourcing to Asia = bad and outsourcing to another country with similar standards to the US = OK.

You are arguing the littoral meaning of the word which might make you feel better typing it out but in reality just makes you look like an ass.

The folks that actively outsource their products/services to Asia do so with the intent to take advantage of both parties. The Asians, as they are incredibly underpaid and overworked with no real government regulation, and the folks you are selling to, because they now have less access to higher paying jobs and are forced into retail.

Of course, no one can "blame" the business owner, due to the RE-diculous (that's ridiculous with an E for "extreme") amounts of regulations from the EPA down to work place safety laws and taxes. You also have to partially blame the consumer for showing zero loyalty toward American products. However IMO the US Govt (and it's lobbyists) are 85% to blame for the mess we are currently in.

I'm not the guy you quoted but I do do my own electrical, plumbing, mechanical (nice large tool box) work and just recently bought myself a Wahl trimmer for my hair. Bought a Wahl because it's made in Chicago IL to this day. 90%+ of my tools are stamped "USA" on them.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
You are arguing the littoral meaning of the word which might make you feel better typing it out but in reality just makes you look like an ass.
And THAT makes you look like an ass. Do you live by the shore?

Old 12-02-2011, 12:25 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,369,503 times
Quote:
And THAT makes you look like an ass. Do you live by the shore?
No that is auto correct on a phone, you can blame it, and a lack of proof reading @ 1 AM.

Either way my points still stand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment