Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 12:37 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,345,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You are right. I have worked at places that essentially required salaried managers to put in long hours. But not all places are like that, and I think it is important to counter the relentless negativity and factually incorrect statements of many posters on this forum.
There seems to be more companies thou that take advantage of salaried exempt than companies that don't take advantage of them and treat them well thou at least here in the USA
That seems to be the norm.

Thats why many people bash at the idea
I don't blame them thou.

If it was the other way around none of us would bash Salaried exempt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 04:18 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,982,242 times
Well for every great company that appreciates its workforce today , there 10,000 HORRIBLE workplaces that treat their employees like disposable trash. So you're chances of being abused as salaried exempt are exponentially higher than not.

Chances are slim of finding a well paying salaried exempt job while working normal hours where you can go home and have a nice life outside of work and not be on call and email attached to your hip 24/7

Thats why its better to be hourly. Why take the chance of ending up at a lousy company (or a good company but maybe a lousy district/facility) for a salaried exempt job where you're working ungodly hours.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:05 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,036,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Well for every great company that appreciates its workforce today , there 10,000 HORRIBLE workplaces that treat their employees like disposable trash. So you're chances of being abused as salaried exempt are exponentially higher than not.

Chances are slim of finding a well paying salaried exempt job while working normal hours where you can go home and have a nice life outside of work and not be on call and email attached to your hip 24/7

Thats why its better to be hourly. Why take the chance of ending up at a lousy company (or a good company but maybe a lousy district/facility) for a salaried exempt job where you're working ungodly hours.
So you have worked for 10,001 companies and can give us definitive data?

You are simply wrong. I feel sorry for you, because it is obvious that you have been treated poorly and are resentful of authority. Your particular circumstances are not definitive though, and presenting them as such doesn't help anybody, including yourself.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:29 PM

553 posts, read 1,208,124 times
The answer to OP's question is: No. In the situation described, the employee is hourly not salaried. Here is the regulation that explains it.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:52 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,419,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Well for every great company that appreciates its workforce today , there 10,000 HORRIBLE workplaces that treat their employees like disposable trash.
I agree with you as well as evidenced by the explosion in temp/contract jobs and high levels of worker disengagement. I have a great job now but don't even accept interviews for others. It isn't worth the risk and I hate dealing with the HR nonsense that goes on during hiring nowadays. As a scientist it is just painful to see all the crap that is passed off as science in the HR field.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:03 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,419,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
There seems to be more companies thou that take advantage of salaried exempt than companies that don't take advantage of them and treat them well thou at least here in the USA
That seems to be the norm.
There are a ton of FLSA violations in terms of classification and I frequently hear of companies wanting to have their cake and eat it too ie no extra pay for hours over 40 and get docked for hours under 40.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,076 times
Default Article to Help Answer That

I can't get my paste option to work as I wanted to paste a link to an article to help answer that, so Google 'Salaried Employees Work Hours: Laws From FLSA-Payscale' created in January 2012 as according to this information they are treating her as an hourly employee and that is not permissable unless the laws have changed since then but I doubt it. I hope that helps.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:58 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,755,923 times
Setting 50 hour work weeks, is not something new. It was happening clear back in the 40s and 50s that I know of, so is not something new. As long as the salary is more than minimum wage for 40 hour week, plus time and a half for 10 hours, it is legal. And those that think just because a place is union it can't be 50 hour week shift it does not happen, but it still was often the norm back in the 50s or today in many union jobs.

Many city fire departments are union, and their shift is 24 hours on, and 24 hours off. Hospitals all over the country work 12 hour shifts. Those are just two professions, where you may work far more than an 8 hour day, and there are many more.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:02 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,345,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Setting 50 hour work weeks, is not something new. It was happening clear back in the 40s and 50s that I know of, so is not something new. As long as the salary is more than minimum wage for 40 hour week, plus time and a half for 10 hours, it is legal. And those that think just because a place is union it can't be 50 hour week shift it does not happen, but it still was often the norm back in the 50s or today in many union jobs.

Many city fire departments are union, and their shift is 24 hours on, and 24 hours off. Hospitals all over the country work 12 hour shifts. Those are just two professions, where you may work far more than an 8 hour day, and there are many more.
You do know that if you are an hourly non exempt employee you can't legally work more than 40 hours a week unless your overtime is approved and you are paid right?

When you are salaried exempt thou working more than 40 hours seems pretty normal in some places regardless of the job

Old 05-02-2017, 06:50 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
It really isn't. I am exempt. I work about 45 hours a week. The breakdown is about 40 at my work site, another 5 is after hours email, working on a project, etc. the benefit is a flexible schedule, pay that is twice that of most of my direct reports, and twice as much vacation time, which I take.

It seems like a good deal to me.
I've been salaried exempt at my last three jobs and none of these firms had any sort of flexible scheduling, telecommuting policy, etc. Staff IT analyst. Three different industries in three vastly different states, so it's not a one industry or local culture issue.

In all the jobs, I've had a firm schedule. I don't have the ability to come and go as I please, or even core business hours (ex: 10-3) that I must be in the office, with the option to flex the rest of the hours. I can't come in or leave as I please. Each job required forty hours per week - no option to work 35 hours if I worked 45 the previous to have 80 in one pay period. The job at the software company involved scheduled hand-offs to other global teams, yet was salaried exempt, and the scheduled work day for most staff was nine hours, not eight.

2/3 have had some degree on call responsibility. With my last job, I was on call 24x7. With my current job, I'm on call 1/4 weeks, though we usually only get a couple of calls a week, so it's not bad. Still, I only have fifteen minutes to respond to a support case after hours. This really limits what I can do off-hours, I can't really go to the gym, go shopping, etc. If I do go out, I have to bring my laptop with me everywhere. On these weeks, I'm basically going from work to home, perhaps sneaking out to Walmart or the YMCA if it was a slow day.

In 2/3 jobs, any sort of time out to run a short errand, go to the doctor, etc., required me to take PTO. At my last job, where I routinely put in more than 40 hours a week, even an hour late for a doctor's appointment would require me to take half a day of PTO. At least in my current role, I don't get charged PTO if I am out less than half a day. The previous two jobs required the rigidity of essentially clocking in and out, but the drawbacks of no OT or comp time for additional hours worked. Worst of both worlds.

None of the jobs have allowed for any telecommuting, other than to work from home after hours.

At least at my current firm, all hires start with the same amount of PTO, increasing at certain years of service. By the time you count out the six major holidays, Black Friday, and the last business day of the year (mandatory PTO for my dept. - all of this comes out of my PTO accrual), you get just thirteen PTO days per year to be used between vacation and sick time.

I'm not making a lot of money - about $60k at the last two jobs, $50k at the first. The salary and benefits are honestly about the best I'll find in this city. Help desk techs here make about half of what I do, but get overtime, and have some sweet scheduling, where some work seven on then seven off. I worked hourly the first four years of my career. The jobs themselves sucked, but there was something to be said about the simpler lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment