Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 10:10 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixfed View Post
They 'can', but not all companies are abusive with salary workers.

If the company blows up and it becomes a all hands on deck situation... Yeah, I'll probably have a rough few days with lots of hours. That's never happened to me though.

More commonly, I put in anywhere from 32-35 hours a week. I come in roughly around 8:30, sometimes take a 30min-1.5 hour lunch, leave around 4:30ish, etc. I don't use sick/vacation/PTO if I need to leave for an hour to drop my car off at the shop, run an errand, or meet a plumber at my house.

The understanding is that I'm salary and that I'll keep up with my workload, regardless of when my butt is actually in an office chair.

Same here. 10+ years in a mid-level position, and I don't think I've done more then 35-38 hours a week in the office, with a few hours spend on the phone here and there in the evenings. or answering an email here and there. I've never worked a weekend.

I have tasks I'm expected to get done, and I do them. How long it takes or how much time I spend doing it isn't logged or tracked by anyone. Not to be smug by if my company started requiring I stay 50 hours, I'd start searching for a new job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 02:42 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,821 times
Not all companies are abusive of salaried workers, but most are. So its a big gamble to take a salaried position. Bottom line there are crappy employers out there who abuse anyone they can from their employees to the poor temps than those who treat their employees like humans.

Odds are much greater you end up with a horrible employer than a quality one, so you may as well at least get paid for hours worked.

Old 12-29-2017, 06:00 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,115,616 times
All my salaried friends worked a half day today and don't work Monday(New Year's) . They would have worked 37 hours( 8, 8, 8, 8, 5) for this week. Next week, they work 32 hours. There is a holiday almost every month. They end up working 30-32 hours the week of the holiday and 36-37 hours the week before.

If they did work more than 40 hours every week, it's due to somebody being out sick or leaving for a new job.

I have been working in salaried jobs for over 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment