Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 01:12 PM

2 posts, read 25,276 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding severance pay. I got laid off some time ago but my ex-company is offering 3 months of severance pay (quite generous I feel so thanks for that). They will be paying this bi-weekly. However, I don't like to sit idle and have been looking for jobs. There is a slight possibility right now that I may land something before the next three months(fingers crossed).

My questions are (a) If I start a job before the severance period runs out do I still keep collecting severance or do ex-employers generally cut this off as I have gained new employment again and am not technically unemployed.
(b) If they do keep paying it would essentially mean that there would be a short period where I would be receiving compensation from two places. This is kind of making me paranoid because I have not really told the companies I am interviewing that I have been laid off if they dont ask. But if it comes out in background checks that I have payment from two places what could be the implication?

Thanks you for all your replies. This is my first lay-off so quite confusing and stressful times for me.

Regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 01:31 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoremondays View Post
Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding severance pay. I got laid off some time ago but my ex-company is offering 3 months of severance pay (quite generous I feel so thanks for that). They will be paying this bi-weekly. However, I don't like to sit idle and have been looking for jobs. There is a slight possibility right now that I may land something before the next three months(fingers crossed).

My questions are (a) If I start a job before the severance period runs out do I still keep collecting severance or do ex-employers generally cut this off as I have gained new employment again and am not technically unemployed.
(b) If they do keep paying it would essentially mean that there would be a short period where I would be receiving compensation from two places. This is kind of making me paranoid because I have not really told the companies I am interviewing that I have been laid off if they dont ask. But if it comes out in background checks that I have payment from two places what could be the implication?

Thanks you for all your replies. This is my first lay-off so quite confusing and stressful times for me.

Regards
You keep the severance and yes if you get a job and the time period overlaps you get two pay checks. Nothing illegal or unethical about it.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:32 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
The severance has nothing to do with your new employment. Enjoy the extra income.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:14 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Depends.

My wife's employer is VERY generous with severance pay; usually 3 months pay for every year of service up to one year's salary.

But.....if the terminated employee finds work within that period, the severance is eliminated.

Another case:

One of my past employers just gave a lump sum in the end. 2 weeks then 1 week for every year of service. Unlimited w/length of service.

So I did have "double pay" for a while.

Last edited by YAZ; 02-28-2013 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: add

Old 02-28-2013, 03:50 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
check the paperwork for the severance pay/termination. See if it says anything about getting another job and whether severance stops. If it doesn't say anything about that, you simply collect 2 checks for awhile.

Usually severance has nothing to do with you getting another job. It's not like collecting unemployment compensation.

BTW, in many states, you are eligible for unemployment even while collecting severance. Not sure which ones or of the exact rules. But you can apply for unemlpyent and they will either delay payment until severance ends, or they will start giving you checks immediately.

The is an unemployent forum directly under this one. Ask the question about collecting unemloyment insurance while still getting severance. They will know the answer most likely.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:42 AM

1 posts, read 11,122 times
In NYS, I was laid off because of reduction in workforce and received a lump sum and 12 weeks severance. I soon found another job and collected severance as well during my new employment. My severance has now reached 12 weeks and ended. Can my former employer asked for money back if they find out?

Old 05-16-2016, 06:48 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
OP: No clause about this in your lay off paperwork?

Old 05-16-2016, 07:35 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
Sounds like you need to ask your HR department instead of a bunch of strangers on the Internet that know nothing about your company.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:00 PM

48 posts, read 90,861 times
Keep collecting.

What if someone the company gave you a lump sum in the amount if two weeks pay and you got a job in 7 days. Would you give them half the money back? No. So why stop taking it?

Old 12-30-2017, 06:17 AM

1 posts, read 5,980 times
I have been with my company 18 years.
Cuts are always in March and with the year we came off of, I anticipate I will be going. I took a second job about a month ago, just serving one night a week. Anyway, the typical severance for my position and years of service is 9 months. Do you know if I am jeopardizing the offer of severance at all because of the second job? It's an I-9, so not sure that makes a difference. I'm almost sure it wouldn't but boy would I be very upset with myself if it did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment