U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-02-2011, 08:13 PM

5,500 posts, read 6,665,418 times

Advertisements

My Ds delights in calling CPS with false claims about both dh and me. this has gone on for several years. all cases have been ruled out.

That's a whole other issue, but what my concern here is, could those CPS reports show up in a background check? right about when DS decided to play his little game, dh got laid off. it was part of a company-wide layoff, so its hard to draw any connections.

However, he looked for almost 4 years for another job with no luck except PT and contract jobs. He got interviews, second interviews, severalcompanies were very interested in him. then, nothing. They wouldn't conduct a background check until the last step, right? So, it seems to me something showed up in the background check that put them off. DH hasn't any criminal record, not even a parking ticket.

Please don't say ask an attorney, we can't afford one. Oh, BTW, dh does have a decent job now, but that is in another state.

So, I wonder if those CPS investigations show up? BTW, with CPS the "suspect' is kept in the dark of any allegations to protect the "outcryer" so it looks like we would be the last to know, anyways. There's been about 15 CPS cases against us, all filed by DS or on his behalf due to things he's said. I wonder if that's what's holding dh back from a decent job and how we could handle that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 08:49 PM

4,806 posts, read 12,058,471 times
No, child protective services agencies do not disclose unsubstantiated investigations, pending investigations or allegations.

You are correct that most employers wait until they have chosen their final applicants before conducting background checks. They are expensive, and the resulting information that they receive has to be stored or destroyed properly, which is a liability for employers, so they try to minimize the amount of information they receive to only that which is essential.

Even when employers do perform background checks, there's no guarantee that they checked criminal records. A 'background' check can mean anything. Most employers don't do more than just social security number, employment and education history. A more thorough check might include a credit report and local county criminal database. Few employers will check all the neighboring counties and states and federal--it's just too expensive and time consuming and usually not fruitful.

However if an employer turns up information that is used to eliminate an applicant from consideration, they are required by law to tell the applicant, and disclose which agency or organization disclosed that information. Do employers do this? Probably a lot don't--if the information they uncovered turned out to be false, they could be liable, so they'll identify another reason. But at the same time, rarely does a hiring decision come down to only one reason associated with a background check. Usually there are other reasons too, such as personality, experience, desired salary, etc.

Given the economy over the past few years, it's far more likely that your husband simply encountered the problem that millions have--stiff competition from too many people looking for work. If you are extremely concerned about what employers might find in a background check, there's a company called Allison & Taylor that will perform a check for you, posing as a potential employer, and report back to you their findings. They can also assist you in writing 'cease and desist' letters to any employers or other entities who are reporting false information. Of course these services aren't free. The background check is $100 but if you are very concerned, it may be money well spent.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
No, child protective services agencies do not disclose unsubstantiated investigations, pending investigations or allegations.

You are correct that most employers wait until they have chosen their final applicants before conducting background checks. They are expensive, and the resulting information that they receive has to be stored or destroyed properly, which is a liability for employers, so they try to minimize the amount of information they receive to only that which is essential.

Even when employers do perform background checks, there's no guarantee that they checked criminal records. A 'background' check can mean anything. Most employers don't do more than just social security number, employment and education history. A more thorough check might include a credit report and local county criminal database. Few employers will check all the neighboring counties and states and federal--it's just too expensive and time consuming and usually not fruitful.

However if an employer turns up information that is used to eliminate an applicant from consideration, they are required by law to tell the applicant, and disclose which agency or organization disclosed that information. Do employers do this? Probably a lot don't--if the information they uncovered turned out to be false, they could be liable, so they'll identify another reason. But at the same time, rarely does a hiring decision come down to only one reason associated with a background check. Usually there are other reasons too, such as personality, experience, desired salary, etc.

Given the economy over the past few years, it's far more likely that your husband simply encountered the problem that millions have--stiff competition from too many people looking for work. If you are extremely concerned about what employers might find in a background check, there's a company called Allison & Taylor that will perform a check for you, posing as a potential employer, and report back to you their findings. They can also assist you in writing 'cease and desist' letters to any employers or other entities who are reporting false information. Of course these services aren't free. The background check is $100 but if you are very concerned, it may be money well spent.

Thanks!

Old 12-02-2011, 09:48 PM
GPC

990 posts, read 1,530,338 times
I think the only time CPS records would show up in a background check would be if the person was trying to get a job that required interaction with children, like a teacher or a childcare provider. The only other situation that would probably reveal CPS records is if the person was trying to adopt a child. I doubt they'd be revealed in any other scenarios. I don't think it's something you have to worry about. Good luck to you and your husband.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I think the only time CPS records would show up in a background check would be if the person was trying to get a job that required interaction with children, like a teacher or a childcare provider. The only other situation that would probably reveal CPS records is if the person was trying to adopt a child. I doubt they'd be revealed in any other scenarios. I don't think it's something you have to worry about. Good luck to you and your husband.

Thanks for the re assurance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment