Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2011, 02:31 PM

545 posts, read 1,555,741 times

Advertisements

I'm about to graduate this year as a finance student. However, I've just realized that I hate working in finance and business in general. The income's decent and there's not too much work, but I don't have any passion for it.

I'm thinking about getting a second degree (I want to be a scientist or engineer). Are there any other options? I want to get out of business but I'm not qualified to do anything else (I'm mainly interesting in science).

Do most people love their work? Am I just being too picky about not having any passion for the job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 04:50 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,865,897 times
I think I get where you're coming from, if it's a good paying job but no passion for it then yeah you'd be burnt out just going to work.

The census here repeats that science is on life support at this rate, and engineering may be hard and expensive to break in. Maybe take what you have now in finance and apply it to another industry? What is so bad about finance and business that makes you want to leave? The job duties, the people?

Old 12-05-2011, 08:57 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
If you want to be an engineer, go for an industrial engineering degree. You can still be in business but not be in finance. In larger organizations, you'd be able to transition fairly easily with this background.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:10 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
How do you know you hate it if you haven't even graduated yet?

And I think you have been sold a fairy tale. You don't have to love your job. Or have a passion for it. You don't even have to really like it. You just have to not hate it. It is a means to an end. A paycheck. Health insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment