Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 03:06 PM

29,815 posts, read 24,898,335 times

Advertisements

All this complaining about the policy in place... The worker knew the rules. He chose to break one. He knew the consequences of his actions, and now he has to deal with those consequences. How is this unfair? I think it's high time people direct their frustrations towards their politicians if they have such an opposition to the rules. Ron Paul will never get elected in this country, so I'd say it's mostly the fault of the people who are too lazy, and perhaps stoned, to take any action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 03:20 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I do not agree with any of the hypocrisy involved in the "war on (some) drugs".

I said I would be all for testing current impairment on the job which does not mean I am "against" pot. ONLY impairment ON THE JOB. What a person does off the clock is their own business.
Didn't mean to imply that you did. Sorry if it came out that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
All this complaining about the policy in place... The worker knew the rules. He chose to break one. He knew the consequences of his actions, and now he has to deal with those consequences. How is this unfair? I think it's high time people direct their frustrations towards their politicians if they have such an opposition to the rules. Ron Paul will never get elected in this country, so I'd say it's mostly the fault of the people who are too lazy, and perhaps stoned, to take any action.
It's not the government's position to interfere in the private workplace. Now if the 4th amendment can somehow apply to private workplace, yes, then they should but I don't see how that is possible.

I do agree that those in dangerous positions should have to test for anything and everything, but for a simple office administration job there is no reason to test unless cause is given.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:55 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,972,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I do agree that those in dangerous positions should have to test for anything and everything, but for a simple office administration job there is no reason to test unless cause is given.
There should be better methods of testing for drugs such as marijuana. As of right now, you can be totally lucid and not high, but still be fired for a joint you smoked two weekends ago at a friend's party. That is the part that doesn't make sense to me.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:28 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex1901 View Post
Can you fire employees for a medical condition that requires medical treatment from marijuana?
Can you fire an employee for any medical condition that requires a physician-prescribed medication?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex1901 View Post
He is a machine operator and drives a company truck and i cannot take a chance on him hurting himself or others on the road as the lawsuits would flow like water.
Because he uses this substance in his off-time? Are any such employees who get blind, stinking drunk when off the clock ok? Because use of either substance when not working is essentially equivalent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
All this complaining about the policy in place... The worker knew the rules. He chose to break one.
Ok...fair enough. I assume you would be ok with companies who had a similar policy that their workers were not allowed to (ever) drink alcohol, or eat foods that are high in fat, or do anything else in their off time that could have no effect whatsoever on their ability to do the job.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:04 PM

29,815 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
There should be better methods of testing for drugs such as marijuana. As of right now, you can be totally lucid and not high, but still be fired for a joint you smoked two weekends ago at a friend's party. That is the part that doesn't make sense to me.
Unfortunately, THC stays in the system for a rather long time. This makes it nearly impossible to determine when the drug was used. Can't change nature or the way the body processes and excretes metabolites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Ok...fair enough. I assume you would be ok with companies who had a similar policy that their workers were not allowed to (ever) drink alcohol, or eat foods that are high in fat, or do anything else in their off time that could have no effect whatsoever on their ability to do the job.
Of course I would not approve of that. I would work elsewhere. There are no laws preventing me from doing these things however.

Those who take issue with drug laws and company policies can seek work elsewhere, leave the country, or take up action through the proper channels. Sitting back and playing poor ol' me is the easy way of avoiding the hard work of solving the problem. We have the right to assemble and make our voices heard in this country, so that would be a good start, one that many have been doing for many years. How many of these pot sympathizers actually attended a NORML demonstration or meeting?

Old 12-14-2011, 09:31 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,945 times
What? No people here must be potheads or they'd know the guy didn't 'take a couple hits a month ago'.

Everyone who eats something naturally green has THC in their system. It's not that it's IN your system, it's about the level. A SMART pothead knows to balance the amount of THC in their system by cutting out green vegetables. Not that there are many SMART potheads, but I do know two. One was an engineer, smoked it daily each evening at home, just before bed, to relax. Passed TWO random drug screens... had to give it up during her divorce when her ex used it against her. The doctor gave her a STRONGER scrip to help her sleep. lol... too funny. The other guy only smoked about every other weekend, drinking lots of water each day and avoiding greens for the most part. The company we worked for did random testing. His name was called up SEVERAL times, but he always tested clear. In addition to drinking extra water each day, you also need to drink something dark and heavy the morning of your test, preferably within an hour before the test, like 2 cups of strong coffee.

lol... who'd of 'thunk' I'd ever be giving out tips like this?

Old 12-14-2011, 11:42 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,671,477 times
So your definition of smart is someone who chooses to forgo vegetables for a drug?

If that is the case, I'm not sure you're the best judge of smartness, I'm just saying...

Old 12-15-2011, 12:55 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,970,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
What? No people here must be potheads or they'd know the guy didn't 'take a couple hits a month ago'.

Everyone who eats something naturally green has THC in their system. It's not that it's IN your system, it's about the level. A SMART pothead knows to balance the amount of THC in their system by cutting out green vegetables. Not that there are many SMART potheads, but I do know two. One was an engineer, smoked it daily each evening at home, just before bed, to relax. Passed TWO random drug screens... had to give it up during her divorce when her ex used it against her. The doctor gave her a STRONGER scrip to help her sleep. lol... too funny. The other guy only smoked about every other weekend, drinking lots of water each day and avoiding greens for the most part. The company we worked for did random testing. His name was called up SEVERAL times, but he always tested clear. In addition to drinking extra water each day, you also need to drink something dark and heavy the morning of your test, preferably within an hour before the test, like 2 cups of strong coffee.

Sounds like a real pain in the ass just to smoke some herb.

I don't get potheads. They use constantly use alcohol drinkers as your comparison. Like most people who drink alcohol do so on a daily basis. And those who do, do you think they do so to get drunk everyday? Potheads smoke pot until they get high. No pothead smokes just to smoke.

Any vice needed on a daily basis is pathetic. Yea Ok, its a plant...so is Poison Ivy, wtf is your point?

Old 12-15-2011, 08:17 AM

1,353 posts, read 3,915,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post

What are you talking about? Vegetables do not contain THC. There is no other plant that contains THC.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:32 AM

1,353 posts, read 3,915,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Sounds like a real pain in the ass just to smoke some herb.

I don't get potheads. They use constantly use alcohol drinkers as your comparison. Like most people who drink alcohol do so on a daily basis. And those who do, do you think they do so to get drunk everyday? Potheads smoke pot until they get high. No pothead smokes just to smoke.

Any vice needed on a daily basis is pathetic. Yea Ok, its a plant...so is Poison Ivy, wtf is your point?
What? How would you know unless you knew the person? I have "alcohol drinkers" on both sides of my family. One or two beers a night? Thats funny. It's atleast a 6-pk or a pint of Rich and Rare in less than 2 hours.

Potheads smoke until they get high? Thats the point isn't it? You can't just smoke marijuana and try not to get high. It's not tobacco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment