Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 03:51 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
This is not the 80's..........all that is old school. All though companies still have lots of "fat", misusing time is not an issue for many.

No facetime here nor within my organization. That is not acceptable. I've never been impressed by people that put in "long hours".

I work but I don't live to work.

I hope you're not an hourly worker pulling that stunt. That is stealing.

What happens when they need you to account for all of those hours that you're stealing?
Exactly. I had to fire someone years ago because of this. He was hourly and putting in all this overtime. Coming in really early, or so he said.

The problem was his badge that needed to be swiped to gain enterance past the lobby reflected something completely different then what he said he was working.

Had no choice but to fire him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 08:48 PM

944 posts, read 2,040,863 times
My boss might notice people putting in facetime if he wasn't THE poster boy for the term. He does the least work of anyone on the team.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:56 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,903,762 times
I wouldn't say that anyone in my office really does 'facetime' as OP describes it. Most of the office puts in incredibly long hours. There are a few people in the office who stay late as they are waiting for their yoga class to start or something but they are usually actually doing work, they aren't surfing the internet or hanging out on message boards. I work in a very small company and most of management works very directly with management. It's not difficult to tell when work is being done or not being done. When emails are being sent at midnight, managers know their staff are working late. When managers come in in the morning and find stacks of drafts on their desks, they know the staff have been productive and not screwing around.

More of the problem in my office are the 'work from home' fakers who claim to take work home with them, when really they leave early, spend most of the evening with their kids and doing household chores, and then maybe put in an hour or less of half-focused work, which ultimately means they've only put in a full day since they left early in the first place...but they clam to be working tons of overtime.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:33 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
But no one actually reads those records, unless they have to in order to prove someone wasn't stealing from the company (as one example). Your boss is way too busy with his/her day to day job to monitor when you are actually in the office.
My boss does. The owner of the company I work for is a survellience junkie and a workaholic. He knows what everyone is doing all the time and isn't afraid to bust you for anything. I honestly have no idea how he runs the company (and does it really well) while keeping tabs on absolutely everything everyone does. He listens to our phones to make sure were not chit chatting too long, and our computers have software that takes screen shots every 2 minutes and sends it to him in a video file so he can watch exactly what you're doing. He also has web cams scattered around so he can see exactly what youre doing.

There is no way we could goof around and not get caught. Overtime is strictly forbidden.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:37 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
My boss does. The owner of the company I work for is a survellience junkie and a workaholic. He knows what everyone is doing all the time and isn't afraid to bust you for anything. I honestly have no idea how he runs the company (and does it really well) while keeping tabs on absolutely everything everyone does. He listens to our phones to make sure were not chit chatting too long, and our computers have software that takes screen shots every 2 minutes and sends it to him in a video file so he can watch exactly what you're doing. He also has web cams scattered around so he can see exactly what youre doing.

There is no way we could goof around and not get caught. Overtime is strictly forbidden.
I am in a salaried role, so I don't get paid for overtime. Maybe that is the difference. I have a set amount of work to get done, and if it takes me 40 hours of 70 hours, my boss doesn't really care.

It makes sense that it would be a different environment if you had to pay out overtime.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I am in a salaried role, so I don't get paid for overtime. Maybe that is the difference. I have a set amount of work to get done, and if it takes me 40 hours of 70 hours, my boss doesn't really care.

It makes sense that it would be a different environment if you had to pay out overtime.
Out of the 7 people in my dept, only 2 are hourly, the rest are salary.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:59 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,519,428 times
Quote:

That sounds like a horrible work environment.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:21 AM

511 posts, read 2,450,844 times
Nearly everyone is salary in my department but that just encourages putting in FACETIME even more. During performance appraisal/merit increase time, nearly everyone promotes the long hours they put in instead of what really counts- results!

Old 12-15-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
That sounds like a horrible work environment.
It's not to bad... I suppose we're all used to it now. This company pays well for the area I live in which is notorious for $1000 a month studio rentals and wages hovering just above minimum wage, so we deal with it. People basically beg to work here, even with my crazy boss.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:52 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,728 times
Quote:

That sounds like the owner of a company I once worked for! He used to examine every package that was delivered, no matter who it was for. If he saw the Fed Ex truck out front, he'd call reception area (where I worked) and have me bring it to him to open, even if it wasn't addressed to him. Same with the mail - all of it would have to be opened in the front office and go directly to him. If flowers were delivered, same thing - he'd have to know who they were for and what the occasion was. If donuts or birthday cake were brought in, ditto - and he'd have a fit! We had a discreet employee lottery pool - done during lunch - and he found out about that somehow. He put a stop to it by threatening to fire anyone participating.

His office windows overlooked the main entrance, and he didn't miss a thing. He was like a gestapo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment