Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 11:46 PM

66 posts, read 377,274 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any work at home businesses? I'm not looking for any type of "get rich quick" thing, just legitimate extra work. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 10:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,339 times
Smile home business

hi all i am new to the board. i wanted to know does anyone know of a legit home business. i want to make some extra money. thanks

Old 04-26-2007, 08:21 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
I'm a telecommuter and work entirely from home, save for those times that I travel. My company allows this because they wanted my expertise, but I wasn't willing to relocate for the job. It has worked out well, for them and me. I think the key is that you need to perform a service that can be performed almost entirely from your home (such as writing or graphic design), have a good reputation of performance and meeting deliverables, communicate well, and are goal driven rather than someone that needs to be prodded to meet expectations.

As for companies being more and more prone to let people work from home; yes, some are. I hear that Best Buy Corporation allows their corporate employees (not store staff) to work from anywhere they like, be that at home or the office (or in a Starbucks for all they care) - as long as deadlines are met. Many, many, other companies (the vast majority I would say) are still in the mindset that you aren't being productive when at home. In reality if you are a goal-oriented, productive person you will be more productive at home rather than in an office setting.

Drawbacks from working at home:
No "line" between office work and home life (even when you're not working)
No camaraderie with other employees (no politics either, big plus)
You can feel like you're on an island and don't have support (this is why communication is essential)
Non-telecommuting employees think you are "getting over" on the company and envy your position, which creates problems unless addressed
You're viewed as a 24/7 resource by many in the organization because "the office" is where you live (not the case with my employer, who is GREAT btw, but with many that is the case)

Benefits:
No commute in rush hour traffic
Save tons of money on gas and vehicle maintenance (my 4 year old truck has 30K miles and is like new)
Absence of office politics
You feel like you are more of your own boss

Last edited by Synopsis; 04-26-2007 at 08:32 AM..

Old 07-23-2007, 09:37 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,033 times
I found a job with an online search engine (thanks to the Good Morning America work from home series). I made about $150 the first week but since the company had so much exposure- i havent had as many working hours with them. I made about 3 bucks yesterday with them. It was horrible.

I just started working with an online tutoring service. I finished my first training session. I think this will be more steady so hopefully I can save up for that trip to Hawaii!! LOL. I'll keep you posted.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:39 AM

1,872 posts, read 6,492,598 times
I think there are three ways to work at home:

1. You could work for one of the many companies who advertise working from home, e.g. sounds like the companies mentioned on Good Morning America perhaps, e.g. customer service-person?

2. You could start your own business, e.g. real estate, graphic design, etc.

3. You could work for a company that offers telecommuting. Certain industries are more open to telecommuting, e.g. IT. However, for most regular companies with physical offices, I think it would be hard, if not impossible, for you to ask for telecommuting right up front. You have to put your time in the office for a while, show your capabilities and earn your employer and colleagues' trust, and then ask to telecommute.

I work for a multi-billion-dollar global IT consulting firm. I work from my home 100% of the time (the closest office is 900 miles away). I did work in an office for about a year before telecommuting 100%. Because it's an IT consulting firm, most people are off-site anyway, so not being in an office wasn't such a big deal. Plus, being an IT firm, we already had the infrastructure in place (e.g. we all have firm-provided laptops and cellphones, VPN capability, etc.).

Old 07-24-2007, 10:12 AM

10 posts, read 26,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
I found a job with an online search engine (thanks to the Good Morning America work from home series). I made about $150 the first week but since the company had so much exposure- i havent had as many working hours with them. I made about 3 bucks yesterday with them. It was horrible.

I just started working with an online tutoring service. I finished my first training session. I think this will be more steady so hopefully I can save up for that trip to Hawaii!! LOL. I'll keep you posted.
I tried that online search engine! I thought I could bring in a little extra advertising money with it...a little was right, I think I made a total of $54. I do have to say that it was a lot of fun. Hopefully they will get some good PR so that the guides who did stick around will make something!

Good luck with the tutoring service and have fun in Hawaii!!!

Lora

Old 07-24-2007, 12:35 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
I set up my own link between home and office using VOIP. Most managers cannot understand the concept of remote employees, they want pyisical presence. The sad thing is that in many cases telecommuting can actually save money and aggravation. Many workers need the office setting to be efficient, but some people actually work harder from home. I tend to waste more time in the office than at home. Not having to make that 120 mile commute is priceless as well! But unless you visit the office from time to time they forget that you exist. Hopefully in the future telework frees many employees from the wasted time commuting and helps spread out economic opportunities from unlpeasant, congested cities.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:22 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
I have several friends that work from home. All that don't own their own business worked for their company for a minimum of five years. For two of them, they waited until the company had a real need for employees and then they said they would have to quit if they couldn't work from home.
I tried this, when I re-married, and moved 60 miles away. The boss said, sorry, we'll miss you when you go. Gee - and I'm the one who started the job position from the ground up, saved the company hundreds of thousands of dollars by starting that job position - the position went so well, they hired 10 more when things grew so fast, I couldn't handle it alone. Well, that just tells you about loyalty. Don't let the door hit you in the butt when you go.

And so, right now, I'm building my Ebay biz that I started in 1999. Working at temp jobs.

I tried the work at home freelance data entry job sites, but there are so many people out there either doing it already (with good high score ratings) that the newbie doesn't have a chance.

If I could find a good work at home manufacturing biz, I'd be in hog heaven. And so, I keep researching to find that.

blessings, Shen

Old 07-27-2007, 12:51 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,865,527 times
First off, forget the work at home online jobs. Most are a scam and those that are real involve LOTS of work. The bottom line is that if someone is going to outsource work online they are going to go to countries with cheap labor like China or India. There are real online jobs that are in the USA but most have people flooding to them.

The next step is to start your own business. Stuff like baby sitting will always be around.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:14 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
I've worked at home for the past 7 years, although my employer never advertises that this is even an option. They supplied my 'puter, pay my internet connection, etc. But I also worked in office for years prior to this and then networked my way to an employer (same line of business) who had this perk. The vast majority of people I know who work from home, find the job first and then negotiate (everyone I know has spent at least a couple of years in office) their way home.

I've looked at the online companies and virtual companies. I've seen legitimate stuff out there, but the pay is so low it is ridiculous. And in most of the cases I've seen, you're supplying your own equipment, etc. I actually had an offer from a foreign language program for which I'd be their employee (not an independent contractor) only I had to supply my own computer, headset, internet connection (which had to be wired), and all of these other expenses for which they don't reimburse. On top of that, I had to go through close to 6 weeks of training--on their schedule, with their people---for which I was NOT paid. And then I wasn't even guaranteed an hours once I went through all of that. Unbelievable.

Anyway, I'd stop looking for "work at home" jobs and start applying for jobs for which you have the skills and the talent, that you think could be done at home and then negotiate for it. There are a ton out there. But you have to have some marketable skills. In other words, I wouldn't look for work at home jobs; I'd interview as an accountant or whatever skills you have and then negotiate to work at home. Or, like others suggested, start your own business. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment