Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 01:34 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,949,414 times

Advertisements

I went to school for software engineering, which I later realized I hated (with passion). It was too late to change--I always had excellent grades--I had no trouble to perform work, however, I just hate this profession... everything about it. Also, what I don't like is that the jobs in this field are always located in cities I dislike and it's always very overpriced, expensive-as-hell cities. I would like to live in smaller town, with more peaceful life and less expensive real estate. But job-wise, it's not really possible for me right now... So, I'm thinking to go back to school and change profession after I'm done with my student loan. Which profession is good for someone who wants to have flexibility of living in a smaller town? Anything but medical (I know, medical is good, but it's not for me). Accounting? Electrician?... anything else? I'm a fast learner and could get another profession if this doesn't require long time/many years of school.
I don't care for making a lot of money, just a living at lower middle-class level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 02:03 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
can't you get a general IT support position somewhere? Perhaps work on some certs like network+ or something of the like.

I'm in a worse position. I have an MS in chem I hate the field, hate the companies and their BS permatemp crap, hate the fact that most of the jobs (not that there even are many decent ones) are also in high priced areas (Boston, San Francisco, NY, NJ...), hate everything to do with science now a days, and feel trapped.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
can't you get a general IT support position somewhere? Perhaps work on some certs like network+ or something of the like.

I'm in a worse position. I have an MS in chem I hate the field, hate the companies and their BS permatemp crap, hate the fact that most of the jobs (not that there even are many decent ones) are also in high priced areas (Boston, San Francisco, NY, NJ...), hate everything to do with science now a days, and feel trapped.
I know how it feels... but if we were smart enough to get these degrees in the first place, we should be smart enough to find another way.
I hate all these crazy cities with extreme prices (Silicone Valley now went into complete insanity and people charge over a $1000 for a small rental room, not to mention they all want someone who works for Apple and has a perfect credit, and also will not really live in their housing, just pays them)--not to mention the death of the dream to own a home.... any kind of home.
These network+ certs now are dime a dozen and everyone and their grandma have them.... little work and little pay with them. Also, I don't feel this is stable, probably the most unstable, actually, and not to mention it's even more boring than software engineering, where you at least can be somewhat creative. I feel I'd rather be tending cows right now, honestly. I'd start own small goat farm, but starting small farmers can't survive now as they get mowed out by big operations, especially organic farmers. I'd actually be glad to have Pharm. D now, because one at least can go somewhere and start own pharmacy, even make good money off it possibly....

Old 12-12-2011, 11:32 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
I work a job where I work about 3-4 days at a time. Gone from home those days and then at home the rest of the week. One drive a week, many people live hours away. Starting pay is low (some would consider it poverty) at first but quickly goes up. When you show up for work nobody bothers you, just you and the other guy, do your job then come home and no work follows you there. You have your schedule and you work it. You are essentially a heavy equipment operator so working with your hands and the satisfaction that goes with that. Also, many people pay hundreds of $$ per hour to do what I get paid to do.

My wife works in a corporate office environment, I truly feel your pain. There is a better way. You've got the right idea.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:38 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm scared of flying, honestly... lol, my grandpa was a pilot. I don't even fly! But I would want to do something that doesn't involve sitting in the office, and was thinking of, perhaps, getting an electrician license, especially since I had to study Physics anyway already and am good with figuring circuits out. I heard they make an ok pay, but wonder how the opportunities are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment