Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 08:46 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,626,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
In business, having all the smarts in the world won't amount to anything if you don't have heart.

I would do what I could to support them by allowing them to continue with their job, and finding something else for them to do if it became too much for them to handle.

Life is hard enough for people, why make it more difficult?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 05:55 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,610,168 times
i was diagnosed with cancer last year. treatment started in January. i go for treatment at 8AM and then go to work after. side effects are severe fatigue. even so the fatigue doesn't stop me from getting up and doing what I have to do but im pretty much shot after lunch time

normally i work a 37.5 hour week but my company lets me work only a few hours per day then the time i didn't work comes out of my vacation bank so i still get a full check. also i am always accruing vacation time every month so not all of that time will be lost. on sundays i am the one in charge and i can't leave early. i work close to a 10 hour day on Sunday and it works out OK

i am still able to do the tasks i was hired to do but other things (like being a team leader) were taken away from me and given to the other workers. also my supervisor excuses me from having to attend staff meetings and from having to do other things.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:05 PM

212 posts, read 333,317 times
I'm an area manager for a Fortune 50 and have encountered these situations relatively frequently over the years (I have a very long term workforce). The company provides very robust short and long term disability benefits that allow full pay for the first six months of a serious illness or disability. After that, it does taper down by a few percent, but I haven't encountered a situation where someone has been out for longer than that personally.

While they are out, it does take some creativity to cover the workload, but generally speaking we are all very supportive of the health and welfare of our team. The process is absolutely seamless (if the employee cannot personally initiate the process, I can do it on their behalf as their manager), and all the employee needs to do is focus on getting better - their paychecks still come as scheduled.

The biggest complaint I've seen is that we do lock folks on disability out of the work systems (email, etc), until their physician clears them to return to work - sometimes folks get bored during recovery and are itching to see what is going on in the office. If they get too bored, they can call me and I can give them the brief synopsis and strong direction to stop worrying about work and focus on getting better.

All in all, we have a very generous plan and I'm proud that we take good care of our ill employees.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:00 AM

12,075 posts, read 23,182,797 times
We would comply with state and federal laws, as well as our own internal policy regarding short and long term disability leave. We don't kick sick people to the curb, we want them to get better so they can come back to work. We have held a few fund raisers, and we have recently modified an employee's schedule to make things easier for them.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:10 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,447,622 times
I've worked at a couple of different companies where they went out of their way to help and be supportive of employees who got seriously ill or were in very serious accidents. I've also worked at places where they'd fire you for a hangnail! The problem with the latter is that they never think (or care) how their behaviour makes them look, not only to current and potential employees but even other companies in the same industry.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:04 AM

106 posts, read 91,891 times
I think it would be time to cut bait in a full-time role, but you could let him stick around as an occasional contributor, maybe working days where employees don't show up to work with no notice and you need coverage.

You can't just lose 3 days at a time because he needs treatments. The rest of the team gets overworked and now everyone is worse off.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:46 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,000,980 times
I would keep them employed.

Once recent employee had a terminal disease. I kept her employed, allowing her to use vacation and sick leave to cover necessary appointments. When it became clear that she could no longer work regularly she was scheduled one day/month so that health insurance would continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment