Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 03:52 PM

915 posts, read 3,180,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
crabcakes, you live in MD? So do I! How long have you been looking?
Those who live in MD, dont give up, took me a month to find a new job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 05:55 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,382,777 times
Ok, I just saw this position posted for my company for a temp-to-perm position for when my co-worker goes on maternity leave. Its a position I was hoping to move into at some point but I've kinda given on up on since they refuse to train me.

But check out the qualifications they require and the rate of pay they are offering for it:

Quote:
Program and design skills desired: Desktop Publishing; Microsoft Office (Word/Excel); Adobe products; PowerPoint; Photoshop; Quark; Dreamweaver; basic graphic design skills; proposal database management system; and website content management system
• Experience in preparing proposals is a MUST, 2-5 years marketing experience in the engineering, architectural, or construction management/ inspection consulting industries, experience with qualification packages and presentations is a MUST; assisting with business development activities; and supporting public relation efforts -- editing and organizing various components of each, ensuring content is comprehensive, competitive, client-specific, and according to firm brand standards
• BA/BS in marketing, communications, business, or other relevant areas of study preferred
The pay range: $11.75 - $14.00 based on experience!

I made more than that at my last 2 temp positions and for a lot less qualifications.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:10 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Ok, I just saw this position posted for my company for a temp-to-perm position for when my co-worker goes on maternity leave. Its a position I was hoping to move into at some point but I've kinda given on up on since they refuse to train me.

But check out the qualifications they require and the rate of pay they are offering for it:

The pay range: $11.75 - $14.00 based on experience!

I made more than that at my last 2 temp positions and for a lot less qualifications.

They are out of their minds!

Old 03-17-2013, 08:52 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,579,956 times
And for those of you who are fed up with ads listing dozens of required skills comes this refreshing little posting. Let me preface this by stating that it was not on CL (was posted on an industry-specific board), and was not a blind ad. In it's entirety:

Wanted: Graphic Designer.
Responsibilities: Produce great work.
Mediums: All.
Qualifications: Don't suck.
(Sunny disposition a plus.)
Yes? Email a link of your portfolio to ___.

Uh, make that a "no" for me.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 549 times
Good job writing this description! What a turkey.

Luxury Retirement Residence is looking for a Certified Care Aide to work as an Evening Concierge. We're completely independent with no care to offer you it's more of an admin, light hskp, activities with residents kind of job. If you love coming to a place where you can get a hug everyday than this is the place for you.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:57 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,393,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
And for those of you who are fed up with ads listing dozens of required skills comes this refreshing little posting. Let me preface this by stating that it was not on CL (was posted on an industry-specific board), and was not a blind ad. In it's entirety:

Wanted: Graphic Designer.
Responsibilities: Produce great work.
Mediums: All.
Qualifications: Don't suck.
(Sunny disposition a plus.)
Yes? Email a link of your portfolio to ___.

Uh, make that a "no" for me.
I think that's great. If I was in that field and it was in my area, I'd probably apply.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:12 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
Those email blasts where a corporation lists a bunch of jobs, yet they will most likely only fund one or two of them for them to actually hire, so all the others people are wasting their time in applying; but the applicants do not know this, they just think they did not get selected.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:11 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
In my area the most reasonably priced private educational tutors charge $30 to $35 per hour and many charge about $45 per hour. Agencies charge $30 to $50 per hour for their tutors. (Obviously these aren't full time jobs, most are only for one hour per week or maybe twice a week for one hour each). Yet, I see listing after listing on Care.com where parents are asking for "experienced", "well educated", "college graduates", "licensed teacher", etc. who provide their own transportation to and from their home to "design and implement" tutoring for their children. Several times I have read where the parent expected the tutor to prepare for & work with two children on different subjects and at different grade levels, at the same time, for $10 to $15 per hour. Sheesh.

It is especially surprising because most teenage babysitters in my area charge $10 to $12 an hour just for babysitting a child. I just shake my head when these parents expect quality, well educated tutors for the very same wage.

Last edited by germaine2626; 01-31-2015 at 03:42 PM..

Old 01-31-2015, 05:17 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Quote:
Active rolodex of previous clients in good standing required
This is not something most people may understand, but it is quite a normal position for hiring salespeople in many industries.

All it is saying is: We are not looking for a sales trainee, or someone that has to go out and build a clientele from scratch. We are looking for an experienced salesperson in our field and market area, with a following that they can bring along with them.

A lot of help wanted advertisements, are designed to send a message to the person they are looking for. Often a lot of people will apply for a job that they really do not have any chance of getting, just because it sounds like something would like to do, without regard if they are qualified. So many ads really are designed to cut out a lot of applicants, and at the same time use code in the message that the applicant they are looking for will understand what they want and will increase the number of qualified people that they will attract.

Quote:
Someone who mentions a rolodex likely isn't too hip on the latest technology.
The word has nothing to do with technology. It is a term, that salesmen/women understand, and most of them today do not own an old fashioned rolodex, but they do use Rolodex Software which still uses the name Rolodex to describe it, due to the function it is used for. It sounds old fashioned to IT people, but to experienced salespersons it does not. It is a term they are very used to using, and people in the business understand. Just google rolodex software to see what I mean.

Each industry has their own way of speaking, and words they use, which may fly right over the heads of those outside of their industry. This is the exact reason they would be used, as they want to communicate with people in their own industry, and don't care if they sound strange or old fashioned to those outside their industry.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:43 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
In my area the most reasonably priced private educational tutors charge $30 to $35 per hour and many charge about $45 per hour. Agencies charge $30 to $50 per hour for their tutors. (Obviously these aren't full time jobs, most are only for one hour per week or maybe twice a week for one hour each). Yet, I see listing after listing on Care.com where parents are asking for "experienced", "well educated", "college graduates", "licensed teacher", etc. who provide their own transportation to and from their home to "design and implement" tutoring for their children. Several times I have read where the parent expected the tutor to prepare for & work with two children on different subjects and at different grade levels, at the same time, for $10 to $15 per hour. Sheesh.

It is especially surprising because most teenage babysitters in my area charge $10 to $12 an hour just for babysitting a child. I just shake my head when these parents expect quality, well educated tutors for the very same wage.
People on Care.com are mainly looking for slaves if they could have them; the remuneration offered is so low.

If someone wants to tutor, it's better off to avoid that site, make your own comprehensive site about you as a tutor and what you offer, and put out your own ads the old-fashioned way, like on store bulletin boards or advertise in weekly shopper publications.

I was a tutor as a teenager for FREE. My school had a volunteer program where kids in "Honors" type classes tutored the kids who were working at a lower level and having trouble. My specialties were Social Studies and Algebra/Trigonometry.

As for babysitting, I did that as a young teen (13-15) and I made the princely sum of $1.00 an hour! One time a lady called while I was sitting her two kids and wanted me to take $10.00 as a lump sum for staying all night. (She was staying out all night with her date.) I did the math and DECLINED and stuck to the originally agreed upon $1.00 an hour. A lot of times back then if a lady was on a date, the date paid the babysitter. I wonder who was the cheapskate who thought up that plan ... her or her date?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment