Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 09:09 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times

Advertisements

I took two weeks of vacation to fly over and secure living quarters. The day I returned, I met w/my Supervisor and handed her my two week resignation letter in order to be 'eligible for rehire' when prospective employers called. It allowed her to shift others around to accomodate my shift and the work schedule in general. Sad thing was that after 12 years she didn't have another word to say to me since that moment on, not even a 'good-bye'.
Koale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 03:16 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Don't give your resignation while you are on vacation. It will seem passive-aggressive to your employer, even if it's not what you intended. It will seem like you are trying to avoid a face-to-face conversation about your reasons for leaving, and avoiding the responsibility of handing of your duties to someone else. Wait until you get back and give them the full two weeks to establish a transition plan.

And as others have said, if your potential employer doesn't respect that you need to give your current employer adequate notice, then they are not a company you want to work for. They won't respect other relationships and boundaries if they can't do it for someone who doesn't even work for them yet.

Old 12-24-2011, 05:30 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Well according to the OP there is no firm job offer. The question of when can you start if offered a job was asked in a couple of interviews, that isn't an offer of employment.

So there is no reason to discuss resigning.

The norm as others has said is two weeks. When and if you're offered a job you get it in writing with a firm start date.

So you're now proably looking at starting no sooner than the third week of January if someone offered you a job after the New Year.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:09 PM

225 posts, read 1,114,714 times
I recently had the pleasure of resigning from a job I have hated for years, to go into a job I have dreamed of for years. I "attempted" to resign six months ago, but foolishly let them con me into staying with a bunch of promises that never happened. This time I was determined to not let them change my mind and I didn't. I had two days of vacation scheduled and offered to do whatever it took to "do the right thing" as they had the option according to the company handbook to terminate me immediately and not pay me my last two weeks or accumulated vacation, or allow me to finish out and pay me. I was allowed to work out the two weeks with vacation days included and I would get payed the two weeks and my vacation.

But....as usual with these clowns it came at a cost. I would have to "clean up" two jobs that have been dragging on for months because my incompetent co-workers were not capable of completing.
Oh...and while they were at it, the final blow was to make me take a week of callout (over xmas of course) that I was not scheduled for since I was leaving anyway, and that way the bosses pet could be home with his family and not have to worry about getting called away. Nice.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,779 times
i will be on vacation as of tuesday. i have 3 weeks. worried about how its gonna look if i hand my resignation in on the first week of my vacation. truth is i really need to leave. and my sup dont even want to send me on vacation it seems

Old 03-29-2013, 05:19 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Take a look at your employee handbook to make sure that you don't need to return to work to have your vacation paid. Not likely but you never know.

If payment for your 3 weeks vacation is assured there is no reason not to give notice your last work day.

My concern is that you need to clean out your desk/locker and return all your tools before you leave on vacation because none of that will be accessible after you give notice. If you don't want to tip your hand just tell your supervisor that because you will be gone 3 weeks you don't want to loose anything. Someone could burglarize your house, even steal your employee key card, and you won't know there is a problem until your return. Have the sup sign that they have received all that stuff. That way there is no reason for your employer to hold your paycheck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment