Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2011, 01:06 AM

1 posts, read 17,468 times

Advertisements

I've worked at my current job for 2-1/2 years. It has been a high stress environment for a 24/7 manufacturing operation that is understaffed.

I finally got a job offer at another company (fortunately i am not on call on nights at this new position!)

I need to tell my current company that i am leaving. My guess (80% chance) is that they will walk me out the door on the same day because they implement alot of security because it is a chemical company, and one of the managers has a strong ego.

In order to qualify for the annual bonus, i need to work my current position through dec 31st. My new company wants me to start the first week of january (which doesn't allow for 2 weeks notice, more like 1 day)

If i tell my current company that i am leaving right now, then they will probably terminate my employment in december and i won't get the annual bonus (which is about 5% of my salary, and i never got a raise in the time that i worked at my current company even though i put in 50-55 hours a week and was always on call).

Any thoughts on how to make the transition (in a graceful manner) ?

Could a company deny a bonus, if you didn't give them 2 weeks notice ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 04:05 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
A company can deny you a bonus for any reason. It's just that a "BONUS" as in extra, perk, a pat on the back if you will. My first suggestion to you would be to talk to your new employer and let them know you are required to give one or two weeks notice into your current position and if they can, in any way, work with you on this. Most, if not all companies request it - not that it's adhered to and the new company probably has the same policy. Second, wait for the bonus and bolt, or three go to the new job and forget about the 'bonus' if the new job is something you really want in the long term over what you are doing now and don't risk the opportunity.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:04 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Sounds like you will lose the bonus. Why didn't you plan ahead and negotiate starting a few weeks later with the new employer?

Old 12-22-2011, 06:36 AM

520 posts, read 1,853,373 times
Just stay through the end of the year to get your bonus and then quit with no notice. You will likely burn bridges but you'll have your bonus and the new job.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:41 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBoxer10 View Post
I've worked at my current job for 2-1/2 years. It has been a high stress environment for a 24/7 manufacturing operation that is understaffed.

I finally got a job offer at another company (fortunately i am not on call on nights at this new position!)

I need to tell my current company that i am leaving. My guess (80% chance) is that they will walk me out the door on the same day because they implement alot of security because it is a chemical company, and one of the managers has a strong ego.

In order to qualify for the annual bonus, i need to work my current position through dec 31st. My new company wants me to start the first week of january (which doesn't allow for 2 weeks notice, more like 1 day)

If i tell my current company that i am leaving right now, then they will probably terminate my employment in december and i won't get the annual bonus (which is about 5% of my salary, and i never got a raise in the time that i worked at my current company even though i put in 50-55 hours a week and was always on call).

Any thoughts on how to make the transition (in a graceful manner) ?

Could a company deny a bonus, if you didn't give them 2 weeks notice ?
Hmm not sure what your company policy is.

But I am in the same boat.

My future employer knows I can not begin due to the timing of my annual bonus, my retention bonus, and my profit sharing bonus. Now in my case my future employer used to work at my company so they understood the amount of money that I could not walk away from so easily so they were very understanding and they are being very flexible with my start date.

How much are you going to receive as an annual bonus? I don't mean dollar amount but the percentage of your income.

I would discuss with your new employer about the bonus, the requirements to stay until the end of the year and see if they can work on a better start date.

I would personally not leave without a 2 weeks notice. I know in my company if you do not give a 2 weeks notice (whether or not they let you go immediately due to your knowledge and job) you will never be eligible for rehire. In some positions in my company you give your two weeks notice and due to the nature of the job they let you go immediately but they still pay the two weeks.

If your bonus is not that big-- (mine ends up being 25% of my salary, my retention is 18k, and profit sharing bonus is another 10k) then you need to weigh does it make sense to stay for it or if you can work something out with your new employer.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:42 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMadArthur View Post
Just stay through the end of the year to get your bonus and then quit with no notice. You will likely burn bridges but you'll have your bonus and the new job.
Don't follow this advice, it is a very short-sighted point of view. 5% of your salary is easier to earn back than a good reputation in your industry.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:52 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Okay so I just saw that your bonus is only 5% of your salary.

Personally, if the new opportunity is better there is no way I would risk losing that new opportunity for a 5% bonus.

If you made 100k a year your bonus would be 5k. Out of 100k-- 5k is pretty negligible.

Even then you are looking at your bonus being taxed as supplemental. 5k in a state with no income tax (I am trying to go for the absolute best case scenario though) is going to come out at approximately just shy of 3500.00 and that is also assuming you do not have 401k taken out of it.

For me in the end a 3500.00 net check would always be nice, but if it could place me in jeopardy of not being able to get the new opportunity it would not be worth it to try and retain the bonus and then also burning bridges at my present employer by not being able to fulfill a notice period.

Sure some folks on here are all about *********r former employer they care nothing about you! BUT-- I have found that maintaining good relationships even with employers I am not too fond of pays back immensely over time. To put it another way-- my new job was offered to me without so much an interview because of my former relationship with the executive at this company due to our previous working relationship.

You never know-- so I prefer to keep it always very professional.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:32 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Did you ask your new company if you could push the date out?

Old 12-22-2011, 08:56 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
One point which wasn't made clear is when that bonus is actually given. To qualify you have to be working as of the last day of the year but I'm guessing you don't actually receive the bonus until a few weeks after that, so you're actually screwed either way. As Thursday pointed out, the bonus is just that and unless your employee manual specifically states otherwise, there's little likelihood that you'll receive it if you're not still working there when the cheques come around.

If you're absolutely positive that you'll get that bonus whether you're still working there or not and absolutely positive that at no time in the future are you going to need your current employer to give you a reference, then give them the one day's notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment