Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 05:52 AM

48 posts, read 109,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstate09 View Post
There is nothing wrong with a good chewing out as long as it is done behind closed doors out of sight of all other employees... Its highly inappropriate to do it in front of employees and especially clients!
That's crazy. The only time someone should get screamed at at work is if they're an air traffic controller and there are 2 planes about to crash into each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 06:45 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,189,893 times
Used to have a boss who did this. One time over some spreadsheet formatting he blew up and threw a set of working papers at me hitting me square in the chest....

I walked over, picked him up by both sides of his collars lifting him out of his chair and put him against the wall (I am a strong/tall guy, lol). Then I told him to never address me like that again and that if he had a real problem to talk to me rather than yell.

At that point I started the search for a new job and never looked back.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:23 AM

650 posts, read 1,808,985 times
This has happened to me, and in a very funny way!

So I was "lent" to another department for a few weeks to work on a project. The project team didn't give me any direction so I had to constantly chase after people for info. Finally my 3 weeks came and I emailed the department supervisor and told him I would be transferring back (by request of my other supervisor who needed me back). I summarized my work and told him I was leaving.

I had headphones on because I see other people do the same in the office. Everything was going smoothly until I vaguely hear the screams "...and I know that son of a ***** [my name] can hear me, because he sits right outside! But he's not even coming into my office!!!" When in actuality, I didn't hear a thing because of my headphones. So I go inside, he yells at me some more for not finishing my tasks and to get the hell out of his department. Basically he was angry that I had the nerve to leave without finishing or telling him ahead of time.

haha so my other department supervisor laughed and apologized for getting me in trouble. Next day the ass-hat emails the main boss and bad mouths me. My supervisor tells me not to worry and just ignore it. A year later, I go back to working with the ass-hat again and he loved me after that. So all was well in the end. The guy was just an ass-hat.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:30 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,700,126 times
Some people deserve a good ass-chewing, right at the time regardless of who's around. I've handed ass-chewings out and have been given them too, it's no big deal. You take your ass chewing like an adult and get on with work. People today seem overly sensitive to minor stuff and yet so servile about the major stuff.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:32 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,759,236 times
Whoa an employer is never to repreman or demean an employee in front of others. Regardless of it the employee did anything wrong or not. This employer would be in trouble with Harassment/sexual harassment in my State and place of employment. If your friend has a Union Rep tell him/her to get to that Rep immediately and report this. Doing this can avoid any lawsuits present or future by having the Union Rep explain this is not appropriate treatment of an employee. If your friend doesn't have a Union Rep. the tell him/her get to a lawyer. Unless there is some form of heirarchy above your friends employer that is the best way to stop this before it becomes worse.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:48 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,934,632 times
This manager is reprehensible, but as its a family company, advise her to find a new job. In general, family companies are bad news.

A REAL manager NEVER chews out anyone publicly. No exceptions for any reason.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:53 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,759,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
This manager is reprehensible, but as its a family company, advise her to find a new job. In general, family companies are bad news.
You know I often wonder if ACLU would help when it comes to things like this since it is family owned. It isn't right that they get away with this just because they are family owned. Family owned businesses have to comply with Affirmative Action laws, unless under a certain amount of employees, which is why so many have no more than 2 employees not related, so why not harassment laws too? Just wondering.

BTW that part of the law (unless under a certain amount of employees) may have changed by now, IDK for sure.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:58 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,934,632 times
Lolipopbubbles, Stop giving family owned so much credit. Most have 2 or fewer employees because they don't know what they are doing, and cannot grow the business beyond a "Opie Taylor lemonade stand" size. And yes, I'm serious.

I formerly worked for a corp who bought an Inc Fastest Growing company several years ago (that had made Inc list less than 10 years prior). That family owned company on inc list, was out of cash just a few years later, via outragous salaries for every family member, and all were incompetent. Non family partners bailed them out, until tiring of the charade. Through several decades of corporate professional positions, I can count on one hand the number of sane, well run, reasonable sized family companies I have encountered.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:23 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,461,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwond View Post
Unfortunlantly family business. She is charting incidents. Thanks for reading.
Family business - she is screwed. If she can find another minimum wage job out there (thought that is her current salary) - tell her to get out NOW.

It won't get any better.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:31 AM

39 posts, read 182,737 times
Couple of days ago she tells me that the management is taking away more help and making her do more. I told her again to chart this. i am so worried that she is going to get hurt due to being ordered to do more work and move fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment